• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild How long should day and night cycles be?

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Something akin to Twilight Princess's cycle, with maybe an extra few minutes to the days/nights.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I like the long cycles in TWW and TP. Sunrises and sunsets also feel really special in those games, especially TP, although TWW had the handy ability to switch between day and night with the Song of Passing. OoT did too with the Sun's Song but it was much less important because day/night cycles were like, two minutes long.

In short, give me The Wind Waker on a horse.

Maybe it's just me, but in TP, at times where I wanted to fast switch between day and night, i'd seen my self running with Epona in circles, and that is kind of annoying. I don't know about the Zelda U, maybe something like in SS would be nice, I really liked this system. And I'm extremely happy that Majora's 3D will let you back and advance through time freely.:)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
In each game day and night cycles progress at different speeds. In OoT the cycles were fast, in MM, WW, and TP they were a decent length. My question is how long do you think Zelda Wii U's day and night cycles should be?

I think they should be longer than anything we have seen so far. I think an hour for a cycle in this one would be good, and a fallout/skyrim style wait system so you can wait in a safe location until the time of day/night you want.

I also think that day and night should affect what enemies are seen in the fields and there should be certain activities only available at certain times of the day.

What would be really good is if there was different kinds of weather as well such as rain, snow, and thunderstorm.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I think they should be longer than anything we have seen so far. I think an hour for a cycle in this one would be good, and a fallout/skyrim style wait system so you can wait in a safe location until the time of day/night you want.

I also think that day and night should affect what enemies are seen in the fields and there should be certain activities only available at certain times of the day.

What would be really good is if there was different kinds of weather as well such as rain, snow, and thunderstorm.

an hour is far too long for that cycle and what'd be the point in special wait locations? The rest is a good idea, i'd also like a way so we can skip to night or day at least then if we are hunting a specific foe such as poes we don't have to goof around with waiting ages for the cycle to follow through. Also if we were having differing foes appearing in day or night i'd like stronger foes at night due to the fact that people are forever saying monsters are stronger at night.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff

An hour long wait just for 12 hours in game to take place? That's a little long, but I think it can be done as long as something long the sun's song from OoT is implemented to speed things up if one wants to.

Actually I caculated how long 12 hour cycles in TP, WW, and MM take in reality to progress. TP's 12 hour cycles in game take about 10 minutes real time to progress. WW's 12 hour cycles elapse in 12 minutes real time. In MM I'd estimate a 12 hour cycle to take around 13 minutes real time. I just did it because someone asked how long they took. I should note these are estimates, but if they are off they are only off by seconds, maybe off by a minute at most, but I think its pretty accurate.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I'd like to see a small combination of OoT/TP/MM. I think TP had the appropriate length, but I want to see the actual time return, maybe make a few small schedules for characters. Like every day Character A does something at 2:00, Character B moves to 3 different places during the day, and every other day Character C has a different routine. Doesn't even have to be big. Could just be things like daily shopping, hobbies, etc. and maybe a few Easter eggs, like you can find a character doing something in secret at a particular time at night.

I'd like to see a small combination of OoT/TP/MM. I think TP had the appropriate length, but I want to see the actual time return, maybe make a few small schedules for characters. Like every day Character A does something at 2:00, Character B moves to 3 different places during the day, and every other day Character C has a different routine. Doesn't even have to be big. Could just be things like daily shopping, hobbies, etc. and maybe a few Easter eggs, like you can find a character doing something in secret at a particular time at night.

What about like, you talk to a NPC, then he says that is going to shopping at a certain time tomorrow and needs help and etc, starting the sidequest. So Link have an "Schedule Book" (i don't if that is right), where the name of that NPC and the time you promise to met him, and etc.. Most like in MM. But I think that you being able to see the NPCs' entirely schedule is something that will only work properly in MM, y'know, because of the 3 days cycle.

And what about dungeons that are only available during the night, and the fact that it is dark affect the dungeons puzzles and etc.. Or a dungeon where you have to do it half at the day and half at the night, something like the Spirit Temple in OoT..

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I would quite like a time based dungeon. It's never been done in the Zeldaverse and it'd be quite awesome. You could have a room invert itself at night time and at day it is right side up giving access to two different paths. I'd quite like to see that ^^. Not to mention dungeons only available at night ^^. We've had several dungeons revolve around darkness now we need one that revolves around night/starlight/moonlight/moonphase. Certain rooms become active at certain times.

I like the idea of a day cycle of about 40 minutes or so. it gives you time to play with dynamic events, but it also gives you time to have things happen in them and have the player find them, without just a window of a few real time minutes.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Hmm i would say half hour is more appriopriate if you are likely to have a long winded time related quest. My main concern is what happened during the anju and kafei sidequest you were literally waiting for hours (ingame time) for one small event change i don't mind that but at least make it slightly more obvious some people can miss that ^^. when i first played MM i never realised that the Goron mailman was part fot he Anju and Kafei quest.

What i really want in a time sidequest is us having slighly larger onscreen prompts such as a midday alert or something similar. Or a companion who if you have a time dependant sidequest (and this would be an optional thing in settings) would alert you when you are getting close to the specific time frame. And by Time Frame i do not mean 1 minute before the event but an hour, say if we are due to meet someone as part of the quest at 6:30 PM then i'd want a quick update at say 5PM letting me know that i am due to meet that person. I don't want the location or anything but just the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom