• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

I have a question concerning the Gamecube controller that's compatible with Smash Bros. for the Wii U. Do I really need it in order to play the game or not? Because if it's true, then I hate to blow more money on it in order to play the game. I'm planning on playing the Wii U version with either the GamePad or the Pro Controller, so if it's necessary to buy the Gamecube controller, then it looks like I'm buying it along with the game & Pokemon ORAS.

Fig

The Altruist
I have a question concerning the Gamecube controller that's compatible with Smash Bros. for the Wii U. Do I really need it in order to play the game or not? Because if it's true, then I hate to blow more money on it in order to play the game. I'm planning on playing the Wii U version with either the GamePad or the Pro Controller, so if it's necessary to buy the Gamecube controller, then it looks like I'm buying it along with the game & Pokemon ORAS.

Nah, you don't need to buy the Gamecube controller and the adapter if you want to play Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. It just so happens that a lot of people simply prefer to play using the GameCube controller when it comes to Smash, but you are not forced to buy the controller if you don't want to.

Nah, you don't need to buy the Gamecube controller and the adapter if you want to play Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. It just so happens that a lot of people simply prefer to play using the GameCube controller when it comes to Smash, but you are not forced to buy the controller if you don't want to.

Well, that's good. I wasn't planning on buying it anyway. If I were to buy it, I'd just get it later on. But right now, I'm not planning to get the controller.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Week 74

Monday, 10th November
zlCfzSozFBw_0Wc5zX

Playing Classic mode with two players means you can battle the Master-type opponents together…but your opponents will also be powered up. The foe in this picture is Master Beast.

zlCfzSozFFoXpUQG74

The Wii U version-exclusive Master Fortress is only available in single-player mode. You'll need to attack its heartlike cores.

While Classic mode and the Master-opponents were featured in the 3DS version, co-op play was not available for it. The challenge on Intensity 9.0 is already great, but it will be even mightier in co-op.

Tuesday, 11th November
zlCfzSpAIjAVXkGOca

In earlier Smash Bros. games, the Temple served as a prototypical large stage. Now it's remastered beautifully in HD.

zlCfzSpAIpEHU6A4kq

The one large change we made to this stage is this Hylian text. I wonder what it says? Also featured in this pic is Link in Fierce Deity colors.

Melee introduced the famous Temple stage and it returned as a retro stage in Brawl. This time, it has enhanced graphics, including the text. It says "Smash Brothers" in Hylian.

Wednesday, 12th November
zlCfzSpNQMcDLDH4sK

Here's another new stage!! The Mario Circuit stage is modeled after Mario Kart 8, so the course flips upside down.

zlCfzSpNQTcFVuS6v7

On the upside-down course, Shy Guys jump their karts upside-down too!! It's amazing how the course twists on this stage. Of course, the gravity for the fighters will always go downward.

First shown off in the 50-fact extravaganza is this new Mario Kart stage. Like previous stages inspired by that series, it has Shy Guys driving in karts as hazards. It is a travelling stage too, giving it more similarities to the 3DS stage Rainbow Road, as well as the F-Zero retro stage also in this game, Port Town Aero Dive.

Thursday, 13th November
zlCfzSpYC7slRGBLTD

Long before the game release, we revealed new fighters with videos. The video quality of online streams is not always the best, though. Luckily, you can watch them as they were meant to be in Movies mode on the Wii U version.

zlCfzSpYDDAiv69Exy

You can even re-watch videos that play after you clear Classic mode and All-star mode. This is a list of videos which are unlocked when you clear certain things. They tend to be short, but you'll get a lot of information if you play them all in one sitting.

The Clear Movies have been a part of the series since Melee, and even the original Super Smash Brothers game on the Nintendo 64 had unique pieces of artwork for clearing its edition of classic mode. They are now viewable any time, whereas before you would need to have played through the mode again to see them.

Friday, 14th November
zlCfzSpjcawkrBvZBD

Smash Tour is really hard to explain in words--it's tough to give out guidance tips with such limited space to type!! So I'll stop myself from saying too much--just try playing this mode three times with your friends. Smash Bros. will definitely feel even more like a party if you try this out.

zlCfzSpjciky1NrBi0

There are three types of game boards. If you turn on the Custom Fighters option, the fighters will be preset with custom special moves. The number on a fighter's portrait on the game board indicates which custom move set that fighter is using--this also adds to the randomness of this mode.

Smash Tour is the new board game-like mode exclusive to Smash Brothers on Wii U, and can be seen as its equivalent to Smash Run on the 3DS version. It is meant to be very wacky and random in order to be exciting.

Midweek, Sakurai posted the following relevent information:

[For users in the Americas] Starting today, you can pre-load the Wii U version. If you’re interested in purchasing the digital version, you should be able to start playing right away on the game's release day without having to deal with a potentially congested server if you use this feature. Check out the link below for more details.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/YXIh5ldOpNjK_4ROED9rAGIfPpZNLHvA

Also, some fun news, Little Mac has the lowest win ratio for Smash Bros. 3DS characters online. It's well explained, so go have a read.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Week 75

Monday, 17th November
zlCfzSqS8xwPUlSuoj

"Intensify your activity by dodging a rampaging car".

Photo Studio, whoooooo.

Tuesday, 18th November
zlCfzSqfchs6qHjNWe

You can play co-op in all the games in Stadium mode!! In Home-run Contest, you can either work together or compete by taking turns launching Sandbag.

zlCfzSqfcuk_cHYthp

The batting order gets determined randomly to make it fair for the poor person that has to go first. Target Blast and Home-run Contest are games that you play over and over again, but you might find unique ways to play when you only have one shot at victory.

Stadium mode has been in the series since Melee, and Brawl introduced co-op for its modes. Even the new mode Target Blast has co-op in the Wii U version.

Wednesday, 19th November
zlCfzSqqBXM0j4gN8q

We've added Masterpieces in the Wii U version--this is where you can look back on what fighters did in the past!! You can actually play the games too.

zlCfzSqqBvgrgIPpLx

Some of the Masterpieces aren't unlocked at the beginning of the game. It's impressive that there are even games from the Game Boy. Some games have different starting points, while others come loaded with save data.

Masterpieces were introduced in Brawl as short demos of retro games. In Smash Brothers Wii U, more titles are featured and a link straight to the eShop is available for most of the games to be purchased in full.

Thursday, 20th November
zlCfzSq0jr4zoBnyxq

You'll need to link the 3DS version to the Wii U version to get them to work together. Luckily, this is easy. On the 3DS version, you simply select the Wii U option, and select the 3DS option on the Wii U version.

zlCfzSq0j2YBWsLO9C

This is what the screen looks like on the 3DS version when you link it with the Wii U version. We included this hoping that it might work as a remedy when you don't have enough controllers.

A copy of Smash for 3DS is required to use the system as a controller for Smash Wii U, however it may be mighty handy for those who can use it.

Friday, 21st November
zlCfzSq-SvgUiSkVfl

The day has finally arrived. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is now available in the Americas!! I hope you'll enjoy this game's many modes and play it as you see fit.

zlCfzSq-S2MXQG2yD4

Here's a look at the controls screen for the Wii U Pro Controller. We needed to match the default settings for all controllers for buttons such as L and R, but there must be players out there that want to use the ZL and ZR Buttons for shielding. You can set the controls closer to the GameCube controller if you set the B Button for standard attacks and Y for special moves.
Set up your controls however you like in Controls.

EVERYBODY (in the Americas) GO BUY SMASH FOR WII U NOW. Don't forget to set your custom controls.

I have finally received Smash WiiU. I preordered the game + Gamecube controller bundle, the Collectors Edition game guide and a Link Amiibo. And I would like to share scans of all of this so anyone who is interested and does not own any of these can see what they look like in detail.

The images will be in spoiler tags just so the page here can load up faster. And click on the images in the spoiler tags to see them in full size. I scanned them at 150 dpi. The book pages I scanned, did not scan so well, because the book is slightly too large for my scanner. But oh well it is all here for your viewing pleasure. It's an old scanner so the image quality is as is. Enjoy :)

All these scans are of the Australian release.

1. Super Smash Bros WiiU game cover
xWKYxtJ.jpg

2. Super Smash Bros WiiU game disc
AqEBwp4.jpg

3. Super Smash WiiU instruction booklet (16 pages including front and back cover)
CBwl3jn.jpg

4. Club Nintendo Australia card (inside)
8WlvA4z.jpg

5. Club Nintendo Australia card (outside) (game code photoshopped out)
ANrpOWw.jpg

6. Game + Gamecube bundle box (front)
qdkyH5o.jpg

7. Game + Gamecube bundle box (back)
8CfxdRI.jpg

8. Gamecube adapter box (front).
The adapter came inside it's own little box inside the bundle box.
[
AGnn68I.jpg

9. Gamecube adapter box (back).
The adapter came inside it's own little box inside the bundle box.
a12ENZz.jpg

10. Gamecube adapter instruction page
mDrwN2v.jpg

11. Collectors Edition game guide (front)
35is9NE.jpg

12. Collectors Edition game guide (back)
iSQV1mD.jpg

13. Collectors Edition game guide (page attached to back of the guide)
W1Xofmg.jpg

14. Collectors Edition game guide bookmarks
fRZQkHc.jpg

15. Collectors Edition game guide (sticker on shrink wrap that the guide is shipped to the stores in)
TSMThDs.jpg

16. Collectors Edition game guide - Sakurai's short article thanking the players
oJBr8mQ.jpg

17. Collectors Edition game guide - Contents page 1
I am sharing this so everyone know how many pages are in this guide and what the guide covers
WTmdOYp.jpg

18. Collectors Edition game guide - Contents page 2
I am sharing this so everyone know how many pages are in this guide and what the guide covers
X4aOuuN.jpg

19. Back of an Amiibo box. (This is of the Link Amiibo)
21fG5FN.jpg

20. Amiibo instruction booklet
SxdcNDw.jpg

I do not own the 3DS version of the game but I picked up an A5 sized 20 page (including front and back covers) booklet about the 3DS version of the game. And here is some scans of that so you can see it.

21. Smash 3DS booklet (front)
ItZu2N3.jpg

22. Smash 3DS booklet (first 2 pages inside the booklet)
sE44dcX.jpg

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Week 76

Monday, 24th November
zlCfzSru7ls8WAt0wE

Here's a little tidbit about the song names in My Music. The tracks with a red icon are song arrangements made for this game, and the ones with the black icons are arrangements from past versions. What might be a little confusing is that some track names from Super Smash Bros. Melee are now stage names for this version. The track Corneria from Melee isn't a song that plays in Corneria in the original game, but we couldn't change the name of the track. Sorry for any confusion.

zlCfzSru8WI6JiCjkW

We've included four versions of the Mute City music tracks. The regular Mute City track is from Melee, Ver. 2 is from Brawl and Ver. 3 was specifically arranged for the 3DS and Wii U versions. The track from the original game is in here too. This game probably has the most music tracks compared to any other game.

zlCfzSru9GsoQKzs7j

In Sounds, you can even listen to voices of some enemies. Metal Face has as many voice variations as the fighters... He'll say something a little different when Shulk is on the field.

The Sound Test has not changed much from previous games outside the extra content, except that it is much more visually appealing. The same can be said for My Music menu compared to Brawl.

Tuesday, 25th November
zlCfzSr9iGwlNAI--3

The Orbital Gate, which was shown in yesterday's post, looks like a space station, as you can see in this picture. There was also a pic of the day where the fighters are going through the center gate.

zlCfzSr9iO8fd9EtSa

...By the way, this model is actually a trophy. Diorama style. The Orbital Gate Assault stage actually took a whole year to complete.

Orbital Gate is a very elaborate stage, so it makes sense it took that amount of time to create. Like in previous games, sometimes the stages themselves can get a trophy modeled after them.

Wednesday, 26th November
zlCfzSsKG7YJjONfHW

In the Gamer stage, the stage set-up will change at random. Here's Mom appearing from an easel. You'd better stay on your toes.

zlCfzSsKHCkI4Uu1eV

Mom even appears out of the TV. Sometimes she jumps out of it and walks around. It gets a little crazy. The guy in the far window is Grandpa, who acts as Mom's decoy. His wig is swaying.

The easel is a part of the random generation, however the TV is always there. The most major factor that changes is the placement of the books that act as platforms on the table.

Thursday, 27th November
zlCfzSsXkvc0ieEasY

Here's a basic size of the map for Smash Tour. The card suits and star marks are check points. You'll get a full-round bonus if you pass them all, and you'll get a strength bonus if you stop on any of them.

If you look reaaally closely, you'll see that by rolling a 5, you can pass through the center of the map to the other end. This means that you'll have an advantage if you keep rolling 5s!! Trophies like Ashley's that slow down the roulette wheel may help you out here.

This is the "Normal" size map for Smash Tour, with there being Small and Big sizes as well. Checkpoints are just as evenly spread on those boards too.

Friday, 28th November
zlCfzSskxjUczlXaYp

Congratulations to the European region where Super Smash Bros. for Wii U was launched today!! Today's post is completely off-topic though. It's the Wrecking Crew stage. When you make the bombs explode, the shock from the explosion transfers to the walls and destroys them. When there are only two panels or less holding up a floor, the floor will crash down, making the stage change constantly.

zlCfzSskxuoQgJOBsE

You might get stuck inside a metal barrel that falls from above. Players can attack you while you're stuck, so get yourself out by mashing buttons.

The Wrecking Crew stage was first shown off in the 50-fact Extravaganza, during a clip slow of stage reveals. Despite being a retro-like stage, it does not use 8-bit graphics, but rather an updated and enhanced artstyle.

@the8thark
Great scans. I want to get that hardcover guidebook but I couldn't find it anywhere.

@JJ
She's referring to the fact you can't have a nickname selected by default, so you need to choose it every single time you enter any mode, which is a nuisance to anybody who doesn't like the default control scheme.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Week 77

Monday, 1st December
zlCfzStZN9gkj_OMVD

When you play Master Orders in Special Orders mode, you will need to use a certain amount of gold to buy a ticket to enter. If you win the challenge, you'll get a reward determined by the difficulty level. The challenges may sound simple, but playing them on Very Hard is quite challenging.

zlCfzStZOOsN1G68Lr

On the other hand, the rules in Crazy Orders are very different. You'll earn one turn for every win, and each turn gets harder and harder. Some of your accumulated damage will get carried over. Crazy Hand will challenge your after 2 turns, so you'll earn your rewards if you beat him. The final battle will be an HP battle and the more accumulated damage you have, the more HP you'll have in the fight...so the trick is to be a little risky.

These are the two new unique modes that make up the Special Orders in Solo of the Wii U version. They give plenty of rewards, especially in higher difficulties, and are definitely worth trying out for that alone.

Tuesday, 2nd December
zlCfzStkYYYF1n_Eyi

Two-player options were added to a wide range of modes in this game.
-Classic
-All-Star
-Events
-Home-Run Contest (up to four players)
-Multi-Man Brawl (up to four players)
-Target Smash!! (up to four players)
-Trophy Rush
-Online Team Battles
Have fun with your siblings and friends.

On 3DS, the only of these modes to support co-op is All-Star and Multi-Man Smash (erroneously called Multi-Man Brawl in this post). The modes here that were in Brawl as well supported co-op as well, except Target Smash is actually referring to the new Target Blast mode.

Wednesday, 3rd December
zlCfzStvsHUWU5tvww

Some characters were displayed flat in their original games, so we made some trophies flat as well. For example, flat trophies from Rhythm Heaven and WarioWare…

zlCfzStvsRsIGU7i57

Strike different poses when viewed from behind!! The designers made these from scratch for this game--thank you, designers. There are other trophies that may strike a completely different pose, and some may not even show their backs at all.

2D trophies have been in the series since trophies themselves in Melee, but usually would show the same image flipped on the back. This can be seen as quite the upgrade.

Thursday, 4th December
zlCfzSt5p5s0xf3QUs

To train your amiibo, it's important to give them hands-on time in battles. If you play against your amiibo with the same character, you can act as its teacher and help them learn moves easier.
That said, it's also important to "feed" your amiibo equipment so you can make them stronger and give them special abilities.

zlCfzSt5qAk0fMVCoc

The effects in red show when a special ability will have a negative impact, but this is not necessarily a bad thing since the equipment might raise your amiibo's overall stats. It's also important to note that there's a limit on how much you can level an amiibo no matter how much you keep feeding it. However, you can change their balance of attack, defense, and speed.

Amiibo released alongside the Wii U version of the game and are supported in a number of games. Smash Brothers is perhaps the most captivating of them all.

Friday, 5th December
zlCfzSuDrlwyFRUVBo

Tomorrow, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will be released in Japan! The players in Japan had to wait a bit longer for their release, but then again, they did get the 3DS version first. We were glad to be able to release this game in the Americas just in time for Thanksgiving in the United States.

Pic of the day has continued since E3 2013, and I would like to bring this series to a close today.
A total of 384 posts and roughly 500 screenshots have been posted, and there's even more screenshots if you count the ones I've posted for different regions.

The origins of pic of the day was sharing one picture a day of the game in development inside the company. It started out just as a small bonus for the staff.

However, once we started sharing pictures with the public, it was a much tougher process. We had to be more careful to choose appropriate pictures to post while keeping a consistant schedule regardless of how busy we got, all while some people only wanted new information from my posts.

It's nice to finally be able to get one weight off of my shoulders. But, we promised to create Mewtwo as a playable character, so I can't relax too much yet. I hope you'll look forward to Mewtwo joining the battle!

It was a fun ride, everybody. A year-and-a-half since the daily pics began and over a year since I've been doing these recaps, it was a great series that was fun to keep up with, regardless of the exact content. Both the new Super Smash Bros. titles have now been released in the major regions, so let us enjoy them for years to come.

The Director's Room is not dead, however. A new official user called SmashGuide has posted the first Photo Studio competition annoucement. You can read it below:

Hi everyone, I hope you’re enjoying Super Smash Bros. for Wii U!

I have an announcement... Wait for it... We’re doing a photo event using the photo studio in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U! Woot woot!!

Our first theme is...Eat! Try to take a snapshot that matches the theme, then post it to this photo event community after you’ve carefully read through the guidelines and instructions on how to participate.

*Be sure to post your snapshot as a new post, and not as a comment to my post! Doing so won’t count as you submitting your entry.

Out of the submissions, Mr. Sakurai and the development staff will choose our favorites and announce our top pics.

Even if you don’t have Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, give a Yeah to the screenshots that make your mouth water, and cheer everyone on!

Thanks, good luck, and I’ll be looking forward to seeing everyone’s submissions!

(Here’s my shot at it. Take it away, Chrom!)

“Cook this too!”

zlCfzSuM1CQGSl-AaS

The community with the entries for this competition is here.

TheRockinStallion

If I'm not back in 15 minutes, just wait longer!
Didn't we cover that already? I'M A DUDE!
I wish I'd known about the update you have to download for the 3DS version. I don't have Wifi and, while I can play the game, I can't save any of my progress.

(Refer to my avatar for my reaction when I saw the notification pop up.)

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
I'm not playing Smash Bros. Wii U as much as I thought I would. Haven't played it in weeks till today, but when I do play it, I feel like I'm forcing myself to like it.

Probably because I'm burned out. I played a lot of Melee back in the day, crazy amounts of Brawl and the 3DS version a month before Smash Bros. U comes out.

SSB4 is (from an objective standpoint) probably the best one: most refined, most characters, most features, fixed lots of flaws but Smash is still Smash and it's the same formula.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom