• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How many sages were there?

Mystery of the Sages (were they all the same?)

A lot of people seem to think that there have been multiple sages over the series of Zelda games. This can be noted from the sages in Wind Waker (Makar and Medli), however, they were descendants of these sages, or reincarnations, whichever was the case.

But then there are the sages in Ocaina of Time. The symbols for these sages can be seen on the Medallions you recieve from them. They looked like this.

116q0qb.png

(sorry about the size and quality)

Now, as I was looking at my trophies in Super Smash Bros. the other day, I recognized something about them. They have those same medallion designs on their wardrobes.

2nla4x0.jpg

(Here we can only see one sage's medallion design well enough, but in the actual game, rotating the trophy reveals all the sages' designs)

Now from the pictures, we can see that in the Twilight Princess Sages, the one thats shown up front bears the Light Medallion.

The mystery here, is how these sages connect. Were they meant to be the same sages? Or were they reincarnated sages? If so, the why would they be in the same number as the original ones from OoT, and bear the same designs which in Twilight Princess, have pretty much no meaning?

Last edited:

EponaOwns

The Real Master of Epona
I'm not sure. the only sages I know is oot sages and there is actually 7 sages in oot. Zelda is one of them but doesn't give u a medallion. the owl was reincarnated(spelling) and I think all of them connect because if u think about it sheik was zelda and tetra was zelda and they were suppose to be hiding or something so zelda makers do have a few thingys up their sleeves

Mehplep

Simply awesome
Sorry to say this, but I think this is pretty obvious for many Zelda-fans. THe Seven Sages, or the Seven Wise Men, were introduced in ALttP as the people that sealed away Ganon during the imprisoning war. These Seven Sages are, by most timeline theorys, the Seven Sages in OoT (all six medallions + Zelda), since most people see OoT take place in the imprisoning war. Their descendants were the seven maidens Link rescued in ALttP, which of one were Zelda herself. If Zelda should come from any family it would be most likely Zelda in OoTs family...

And then we have TP, witch (by most timeline theorys) take place between OoT and ALttP, in which we have seven Sages. ... does it ring a bell?

Shadow Goris

The Stalker
Yeah but in cheesewaker there are 9 sages:light, forest, fire, water, spirit, shadow, earth, and wind. However, one thing that puzzles me is that fado, a kokiri, was a sage. There were no kokiri in WW, there were koroks. Maybe that was before they tuned into korok?

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
To my recolection, there are no more than 7 sages(including Zelda) at any given time in any game. I havn't touched PH though.

Dabombster

Do the thing
Site Staff
They could be the same sages from OoT, but I highly doubt it. They may have the same symbols, but they could be descendants (or ancestors). The OoT sages were all from different races, the TP ones appear to all be from the same race.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
They could be the same sages from OoT, but I highly doubt it. They may have the same symbols, but they could be descendants (or ancestors). The OoT sages were all from different races, the TP ones appear to all be from the same race.

That would make sense, except I don't necessaraly see them as ancestors. The ones in TP trancend race, and all look similar.

I would conclude that they are seperate storylines because of that, but I would suggest that they are all the same race within the context of TP.

One thing that I would think is possible is if, because the Sages are spiritual-like beings, that they were given all the same look in TP. All of the Sages, or Wisemen, in ALttP looked similar as well. Because of the symbols on the TP Sages, I first thought that they are the same spirits that inhabited the bodies of the Sages in OoT, but now in TP, they have regained their more spiritual look.

Like how the Sages in OoT didn't know they were sages until they died. Then, they were reborn as Sages, which is when they figured out who they really were. So my suggestion is that the sages are spirits who inhabit the bodies of actual beings, in OoT, it was races, and when they are needed to awaken, they awaken. Maybe at some point, during a period of peace in Hyrule, they decided that they weren't needed, and that they wanted to live normal lives with no memory of being sages. So, they decided to put their spirits inside the bodies of different races throughout Hyrule. It would explain why they were who they were in OoT.

Then, after OoT, I would guess that these Sages had to watch over the Sacred Realm where they sealed Ganon, and eventually the Realm of Twilight through the Mirror Chamber.

Last edited:

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
Like how the Sages in OoT didn't know they were sages until they died. Then, they were reborn as Sages, which is when they figured out who they really were.

That wouldn't add up though, because they never died, they were just spiritually awakened with the cleansing of the temple.

It was hinted at, at least I thought so, that they had died. Because each one entered the temple (maybe except for Saria, that one I don't quite remember) and tried to fight the boss or at least save the temple itself in some way, but were killed by the boss. I'm pretty positive Ruto and Impa done this, but I know that Darunia and Nabooru did.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
I was wondering why would they add the extra 2 sages?

I presume you're refferring to windwaker?

That's because they needed the game to be simplified, if you notice, there was no Goron sage in WW, which is unfortunate and confirms my theory about there being no truely connected timeline.

It doesn't confirm anything you fool, TWW happens centuries after OoT.

Nintendo quote ; "The Wind Waker occurs hundreds of years after the events of Ocarina of Time"

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
It doesn't confirm anything you fool, TWW happens centuries after OoT.

Nintendo quote ; "The Wind Waker occurs hundreds of years after the events of Ocarina of Time"

Assuming you can cite that quote, then why did they need to get rid of the sages and then spawn 2 new ones?

And Nintendo hasn't been logically consistant, I've proven this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom