• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Age of the Characters..

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I'm not sure if anyone will feel the same way, but I'm a little concerned on Nintendo's decision on the continuity of Niko in this game. Are we 100% sure that it's Niko? My point is the for the entire series I think that the physics of Hyrule has seemed so similar to that of our world. By that I mean that there is gravity, living creatures need water and food, and it seemed as though the characters aged at the same rate as us. If this old Niko really is Niko then that would make him borderline too old to be alive, especially considering that the Zelda series doesn't necessarily seem to have hospitals and medicine to keep old people alive. I understand that there are old people in other games, but we have never known the BS of those old people whereas we know that if this character is Niko then he is definitely at an age that he shouldn't be alive at.

Does anyone else have this concern? It kind of blows my mind about the capabilities of Nintendo being able to "make things work" when they probably shouldn't work. As much as I enjoyed WW, I think that the characters in WW should stay in the past. Tetra was a salty sea-dog and that's what I loved about her. I would hate for her to be a sweet old woman that should probably be dead.

Anyway, that was a little straying off the subject. I just hope that this doesn't disappoint me too much. I don't like the idea of past and present colliding, especially in a game that isn't a direct sequel.

There's been crazier things in Zelda :P

And if ST does take place 100 years after PH, then Niko would be like 125 years old at the most. Which, while incredibly old, is still possible by our standards.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
There's been crazier things in Zelda :P

And if ST does take place 100 years after PH, then Niko would be like 125 years old at the most. Which, while incredibly old, is still possible by our standards.

The key words there are possible bye our standards.

We're talking about a game that seemingly takes place during (a very long) medieval period. I have never seen any hospital or anything in the series and the closest thing to medicine are potions (which seem more for injuries, not diseases) and fairies which have basically the same properties as potions except they bring Link back to life (but from death caused by physical pain).

As far as we know, there is nothing in the game that prolongs life (other than a wish from the triforce, being some sort of demon, etc..).

My point is that logically, there seems to be no way that Niko could live that long, especially without technology to heal "old age"

I think people just need to realize Zelda is a fantasy game, and anything the developers want, goes. If you want to say back in the Medieval period, people wouldn't have lived to be 125, then you should say back in the Medieval period, a race made up of all females, with a male every 100 years (Gerudo) wouldn't be able to survive. A race made up of all males (Gorons) wouldn't be able to survive.

Plus, the Hylians aren't human, who's to say their average lifespan is 150 years old?

L

Luminary

Oh, I don't know, I'm willing to stretch regular characters ages to around 200 as long as they are elderly and frail with it.

Also: a wizard did it.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I think people just need to realize Zelda is a fantasy game, and anything the developers want, goes. If you want to say back in the Medieval period, people wouldn't have lived to be 125, then you should say back in the Medieval period, a race made up of all females, with a male every 100 years (Gerudo) wouldn't be able to survive. A race made up of all males (Gorons) wouldn't be able to survive.

Plus, the Hylians aren't human, who's to say their average lifespan is 150 years old?

The Hylians ARE humans... In fact, I'm sure on more than one occasion Ganon/dorf refers to Link (or other Hylians) as being just human or something along those lines.

I'm sure SoJ can answer this for me, but isn't there a game where the characters are only referred to as humans? I think it's MC that refers to the Hylians as humans throughout the game.

Also, the Gerudo (race of all females with one male every 100 years) live on because they have Hylians boyfriends that they mate with. This is common knowledge.

Also, we have no idea what the Goron anatomy is like. They could be A-sexual.

And who is to say that their average lifespan isn't 150 years old? The games, seeing as how none of the games ever feature a super old version of a previous character.

It just rubs me the wrong way. If the game is not a direct sequel, then it shouldn't feature past characters (other than enemies, of course).

Also, saying a wizard did it would raise more questions, such as..

1. Why not make WW Link "immortal" like Niko so that he can go on to rule the land he helped create?
2. Why not have a wizard that powerful bestow the new Link with great powers to help him defeat the Demon King?
3. Why not have this wizard fight the Demon King himself?

I think we all know that Nintendo, and the Zelda series, can come up with better story lines without having to throw bullcrap like "Niko is alive because of a great wizard" in there.

Megamannt125

Blue Link
I think we should consider that it was Nintendo of America that said it was 100 years later, and that was a while back too, isn't it possible that it doesn't take place 100 years, but rather, maybe like 60?

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I think we should consider that it was Nintendo of America that said it was 100 years later, and that was a while back too, isn't it possible that it doesn't take place 100 years, but rather, maybe like 60?

The only way they could have messed up the translation is by mistranslating hundreds of years into 100 years, which they've done before. I'm hoping they have a good enough translator that can differentiate something as basic as years. Also, if it were only 60 then there would be many other characters from WW/PH and that doesn't seem like enough time for there to have been a war between a Demon King and for a kingdom to be made. 100 years is even stretching it.

If they did mistranslate and the game is supposed to be hundreds of years later then that would cause more problems with Niko being in it.

Are we 100% sure that it's THE Niko? Could it be a son, or relative of him or something?

Megamannt125

Blue Link
The only way they could have messed up the translation is by mistranslating hundreds of years into 100 years, which they've done before. I'm hoping they have a good enough translator that can differentiate something as basic as years. Also, if it were only 60 then there would be many other characters from WW/PH and that doesn't seem like enough time for there to have been a war between a Demon King and for a kingdom to be made. 100 years is even stretching it.

If they did mistranslate and the game is supposed to be hundreds of years later then that would cause more problems with Niko being in it.

Are we 100% sure that it's THE Niko? Could it be a son, or relative of him or something?
Or, maybe at the time of Nintendo saying that it was 100 years later, Niko wasn't in the game yet, i'm pretty sure the game wasn't completely done back then.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Or, maybe at the time of Nintendo saying that it was 100 years later, Niko wasn't in the game yet, i'm pretty sure the game wasn't completely done back then.

They would have told us if it was changed...

The game DOES take place 100 years after WW. End of story. Try coming up with a new theory.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Except they aren't.

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Human

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Hylian

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Hylian

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Human

Hylians predate the Humans in the Zelda universe. They aren't the same race.

Haha... did you read the aricles that you posted?

The very first line of the Hylian page on ZeldaWiki says this, and I quote...

"The Hylians are a race of humans from the country of Hyrule."

You disproved yourself by trying to disprove me...

Haha... did you read the aricles that you posted?

The very first line of the Hylian page on ZeldaWiki says this, and I quote...

"The Hylians are a race of humans from the country of Hyrule."

You disproved yourself by trying to disprove me...

http://www.zeldawiki.org/Gerudo

Says Gerudo are humans too. I guess Gerudo and Hylian are the same race.

Humans aren't Hylian. Hylians are a chosen race by the Gods with magic. Humans aren't. Even in TP, Shad says Hylians are the closest race to the Gods. In that game, most of the people are referred to as Human. If they were the same thing, why wouldn't Shad just say Humans are the closest race to the Gods?

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
http://www.zeldawiki.org/Gerudo

Says Gerudo are humans too. I guess Gerudo and Hylian are the same race.

Humans aren't Hylian. Hylians are a chosen race by the Gods with magic. Humans aren't. Even in TP, Shad says Hylians are the closest race to the Gods. In that game, most of the people are referred to as Human. If they were the same thing, why wouldn't Shad just say Humans are the closest race to the Gods?

Humans are a race while ethnicities are a subrace. I am human, but I am American/Swedish/Germa/Israeli.

They are called Hylians/Hyruleans because they are from Hyrule. I am called American because I am from the United States of America. Gerudo is more an ethnicity than a race. They are humans, so are Hylians.

As for your question about Hylians being the closest race to the Gods, I could compare that to the olden days. White people are humans. Black people are humans as well, but a long time ago white people were considered to be much more important than black people even though they are both humans.

Also, The only major differences between regular humans and Hylian humans are the pointy ears and use of magic, which the only Hylians we ever really see use any magic are Zelda and Link.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
To bring it back on topic: I noticed that in gametrailers' video they talked to someone from Nintendo of America (I'll find out who afterwards) and he only said it takes place "some time" after PH. The official site also never specifically mentions 100 years later, instead saying "for many years". If it was something that specific, wouldn't you think it would still be mentioned now? The 100 years came from an early interview that could easily have been a rounded figure, and Nintendo could have fiddled with a few things since that got said.

The official Japanese site also clearly names him as Niko, so it's him alright. I think it's highly possible (and I nice touch) some of the previous characters are in this game too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom