• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Affecting the Timeline?

M

MajorasMaster

So it seems that Nintendo has confirmed that its newest Zelda game, "A Link Between Worlds," will be a sequel to the hit SNES classic, "A Link to the Past." Now, this all makes perfect sense, as seeing how the same overworld from A Link to the Past will be used in A Link between Worlds, and similar dungeons and blah, blah, blah... BUT! Could this new entry to the Zelda series effect the Zelda timeline as we know it? Think about it! In Hyrule Historia, Nintendo releases the one and only, "Official Zelda Timeline," within the pages of said book. The timeline states that during the events of Ocarina of Time, there are three separate timelines corresponding with all the other titles. One of the separate timelines states that in Ocarina of Time, the "Hero of Time" falls, or dies at the final battle with Ganon, thus Ganon succeeds and gains power over Hyrule. It says that in Hyrule Historia itself that if Link falls, the events of A Link to the Past will occur. After Link defeats Ganon in A Link to the Past, it is said that the duo Gameboy Color games, Oracle of Ages & Seasons, will fall into place. BUT, with the release of A Link Between Worlds, as seeing how it's a sequel to A Link to the Past, will this affect the Zelda timeline as we know it? I may be right, I may be wrong, please tell me, 'cuz I would LOVE to know! This is the kinda stuff that keeps me on the edge of my seat. Please lemme know what you think of my first post and please give positive feedback and add me on Skype! Thanks! :)

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I believe it's been confirmed that it isn't a DIRECT sequel rather than a sequel that takes place a generation or two after the events of ALttP.

In all likelihood, I'd guess that ALBW will take place in between the events of Link's Awakening and the original Legend of Zelda

But I'm not 100% on the information I have, so there's no way to be sure what Nintendo will do. But I don't think Nintendo would jeopardize the official timeline they just released with one new game which was being developed when Hyrule Historia came out

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
When I first heard about Zelda BLT (don't ask), I thought for sure that it would take place after Link's Awakening. I just can't see anywhere else it could go. There is a very large loose end on that timeline that needs to be fixed, that of course being how Ganon could appear in LOZ, and why Hyrule is so barren in that game. I think Zelda BLT will provide us with more backstory for The Legend of Zelda, since there is a lot of explaining that should be done.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I think we should just wait until more is confirmed on the game to determine it's placement in the timeline, like oh I don't know, the storyline for the game perhaps. Seriously, it annoys me whenever people keep jumping to conclusions and acting like it's been 100 percent confirmed that ALBW is a sequel to or after ALttP when it isn't. Yes, I know Nintendo confirmed ALBW after ALttP, however the game is still in development so that confirmation isn't 100 percent, especially considering we still don't have any details at all on the game's storyline and plot, except for clues within the title, logo, artwork, Dark World returning, different Link and Zelda, the Lumberjack tree still there as well as the other tree that the Lumberjacks sawing on at the end of ALttP, giving us an idea of what the game will be about and when in the timeline it makes the best sense to take place in. Things change over the course of development, jumping to conclusions will only result to pointless argument over something that isn't even 100 percent confirmed yet. Remember what happened to Wind Waker 2? It became what we know of today as Twilight Princess, then latter on we ended up getting a WW 2 anyways with Phantom Hourglass. I still personally think that ALBW will turn out to be placed before ALttP, considering the game is confirmed to take place during the Hylian era which by the way is just an old legend to the people in ALttP's era and onward. And no, I don't think time travel will be in the game at all, the game already has the Dark World, Nintendo doesn't have the time to add in another world, it would only postpone the game to 2015 or 2016 depending how long it would take them.

Also, ALttP (both versions) even references that there was a Link who lived before the ALttP Link. It says that this past Link lived during the events of the Imprisoning War which took place after OoT so he is not OoT Link. It also said that this past Link was the only Knight of Hyrule who survived the Imprisoning War and ended the war. Don't believe me, then play through both versions of ALttP from start to finish, make sure you read every single line in both versions and see for yourself.

Anyways, that's all I have to say for now, I'm tired. :tired:

Salem

SICK
I personally hope it doesn't turn out to be a prequel because they complicate things even more.

Also, ALttP (both versions) even references that there was a Link who lived before the ALttP Link. It says that this past Link lived during the events of the Imprisoning War which took place after OoT so he is not OoT Link. It also said that this past Link was the only Knight of Hyrule who survived the Imprisoning War and ended the war. Don't believe me, then play through both versions of ALttP from start to finish, make sure you read every single line in both versions and see for yourself.
Any specifics?

VitaTempusN92

I personally hope it doesn't turn out to be a prequel because they complicate things even more.

Any specifics?

Two of the maidens made these references.

Quote from the third maiden:
Link, thanks to you, I was
able to escape the clutches of
the evil monsters. Thank you!
...Do you know the prophecy of
the Great Cataclysm?
This is the way I heard it...
If a person with an evil
heart gets the Triforce, a Hero
is destined to appear...
...and he alone must face the
person who unleashed the
Great Cataclysm.
If the evil one destroys the
Hero, nothing can save the
world from his wicked reign.
Only a member of the Knights
of Hyrule, who protected the
Hylian royalty, can become
the Hero... You are of their
bloodline, aren't you?
Then
you must rescue
Zelda without fail!

Quote from the fourth maiden:
As the sages sealed the way
to the Dark World, the Knights
of Hyrule defended them from
the attacks of evil monsters.
I heard that the Knights of
Hyrule were nearly wiped out in
that battle...
You are perhaps the last one
to carry on the bloodline of
those knights...

It's ironic that the last one in
the line has the potential to
become the Hero of legend.
Surely you can destroy Ganon!

Although it seems the maidens could be just referring to ALttP Link, however, if you really think about it, how is ALttP Link connected to Knight's blood if the knights were pretty much dead towards the end of the Imprisoning War, let alone the last remaining knight, considering ALttP doesn't take place during the Imprisoning War since that war occurred centuries before ALttP? Let's take another look at the quote from the fourth maiden, shall we:

that battle...
those knights...

The fourth maiden mentions the knights were nearly taken out and that Link's blood is the last their kind. This is what leads me to believe that the only way this is possible is that all knights have died except one, the Hero (not ALttP Link). I believe that the quote from the fourth maiden is referring the fact that there was a Link incarnation who lived during the events of the Imprisoning War, during the last breath of the Hylian era. This past Link served his life as a hero just as his descendant, the ALttP Link has and fought against evil alongside with the Knights of Hyrule when he came of age to do so. Unfortunately, as the war met it's conclusion, the past Link's allies, his fellow other Knights of Hyrule were killed in battle, only him remaining to face whatever evil that remained before him. In defense of the sages, giving them time to finally seal the way to the Dark World, the past Link vanquished the remaining evil left to deal with.

I also believe that Nintendo originally had one of the legendary tales of the past Link planned for OoT back when it was just called "Zelda 64". More specifically, I think that was their plan at the they were in the early Alpha stage of "Zelda 64". If that's case and if ALBW were take place in those times during the Imprisoning War, then that means, we almost got an N64 version of ALBW or a different story in the same era with the same Link only occurring afterwards, instead of OoT. Let's take a look at some of the screenshots of Zelda 64:

z64_15.jpg

I wonder what is going on it that screenshot. Is Link in the Dark World or is in Hyrule Castle town in peril due to war. onto the next screen.

z64_9.jpg

Okay, is it just me or does this look very reminiscent to ALttP much like ALBW is? Next screen.

z64_8.jpg

Is that Triforce!? I wonder where Link found it. Dark World maybe? Next screen and semi-final screen.

z64_28.jpg

Is that a soldier Link is fighting? Final screen.

z64_29.jpg

Hmm, doesn't this setting look somewhat familiar. Where have I seen a area designed similar to this before?

zelda_002_thumb.jpg

Perhaps this answers that question?

Now let's look at some of things we've been seeing of ALBW:

zelda-a-link-between-worlds.png

With the Dark World confirmed, it's possible that the Triforce is still in the Dark World at that same altar that we've seen in ALttP and in the early stage of Zelda 64 (which in end came out to be OoT).

char.png

Link's Shield is that of Hylian Shield from OoT not the Hyrulean Shield from ALttP. Also, notice how the Hylian Shield in this artwork appears somewhat reminiscent to the shield from the early alpha stage of Zelda 64 seen here:

z64_1.jpg

Only differences are that the Triforce symbol is smaller than what is seen in Early Alpha Zelda 64, the steel frame on the shield has more detail than it does in it's Early Alpha Zelda 64 counter-part, and last but not least, the sword in the shield's design is replaced with the red bird that always appears on Hylian Shield.

Also Link's Master Sword in the artwork is that of how it appears in OoT not ALttP.

Zelda3DS_OffscreenStill001.jpg

ALBW uses the same game engine as OoT 3D, only except it is set to be overview perspective, the hearts and magic/stamina meter is on the top screen instead of the bottom, and there is no more map tab since the map is already on the bottom screen.

Plus the main overworld music is a mix between ALttP's and OoT's.

Zelda-A-Link-Between-Worlds-is-a-Fantastic-Throwback-190867-large.jpeg

The tree near the Lumberjack's house is still in one piece.

And last but not least, the game is confirmed to be about a different generation of Link and Zelda.

There you have it, my speculation and comparisons to ALBW and Early Alpha Zelda 64. From the looks of it, I think that ALBW will probably be a re-imagined/re-created and an actual finished version of Early Alpha Zelda 64. Not only that but I really do think the game will end up taking place before ALttP during the Imprisoning War, like I said.

Anyways, that is all I have to say for now, I am tired. :tired:

Last edited:
M

MajorasMaster

Ahh, okay, that makes way more sense now. :) Thanks for making that clear. :p

VitaTempusN92

Ahh, okay, that makes way more sense now. :) Thanks for making that clear. :p

Are you being sarcastic or do you really mean that? Just wondering cause it seems like you are being sarcastic but at the same time, not really, I can't really seem to tell but I remain skeptical so I'm just wanting to be sure. Also I'd like welcome you to the site btw, I noticed you are new here.

Salem

SICK
...Do you know the prophecy of
the Great Cataclysm?
This is the way I heard it...
If a person with an evil
heart gets the Triforce, a Hero
is destined to appear...
...and he alone must face the
person who unleashed the
Great Cataclysm.
If the evil one destroys the
Hero, nothing can save the
world from his wicked reign.
Only a member of the Knights
of Hyrule, who protected the
Hylian royalty, can become
the Hero... You are of their
bloodline, aren't you? Then
you must rescue
Zelda without fail!

As the sages sealed the way
to the Dark World, the Knights
of Hyrule defended them from
the attacks of evil monsters.
that battle...
those knights...
It's ironic that the last one in
the line has the potential to
become the Hero of legend.
Surely you can destroy Ganon!

VitaTempusN92, the thing the maidens say, from what I understand, it doesn't specifically mention an old Link, all they say is alttp Link is the last desendant of the knight that fought Ganon.

Also, are you suggesting that the dark world WAS going to be in the alpha or beta version of OoT? I don't know about that because none of the old interviews from the staff mention this.

M

MajorasMaster

No, I am not being sarcastic, I really appreciate the info, it helps. I'm a HUGE Zelda fan, and I like to know everything possible about every single game and detail, etc. :) And thank you for welcoming me to the site :3

VitaTempusN92

VitaTempusN92, the thing the maidens say, from what I understand, it doesn't specifically mention an old Link, all they say is alttp Link is the last desendant of the knight that fought Ganon.

Also, are you suggesting that the dark world WAS going to be in the alpha or beta version of OoT? I don't know about that because none of the old interviews from the staff mention this.

Okay, obviously you didn't my post carefully enough. I explained in one of the paragraphs on how I think that the knight who is said to have fought Ganon, ALttP Link's ancestor IS a Link incarnation. Since you clearly weren't reading that paragraph carefully enough, here it is again:

The fourth maiden mentions the knights were nearly taken out and that Link's blood is the last of their kind. This is what leads me to believe that the only way this is possible is that all the knights have died except one, the Hero (not ALttP Link). I believe that the quote from the fourth maiden is referring to the fact that there was a Link incarnation who lived during the events of the Imprisoning War, during the last breath of the Hylian era. This past Link served his life as a hero just as his descendant, the ALttP Link has and fought against evil alongside with the Knights of Hyrule when he came of age to do so. Unfortunately, as the war met it's conclusion, the past Link's allies, his fellow other Knights of Hyrule were killed in battle, only him remaining to face whatever evil that remained before him. In defense of the sages, giving them time to finally seal the way to the Dark World, the past Link vanquished the remaining evil left to deal with.

As you just had to read for the second time, this time more carefully I hope, I clearly explained my reasons for such a theory behind that. Anyways moving on.

z64_8.jpg

Does this answer your question?

A%20Link%20to%20the%20Past%20Triforce.jpg

How about now if last pic wasn't enough?

The point is considering in both images, Link is clearly standing in the Triforce chamber which happens to be in the Sacred Realm, in this case, the Dark World.

No, I am not being sarcastic, I really appreciate the info, it helps. I'm a HUGE Zelda fan, and I like to know everything possible about every single game and detail, etc. :) And thank you for welcoming me to the site :3

You are welcome. :)

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
.......ARE...YOU...KIDDING...ME

are you trying to be funny or are you trying to be a ****** cuz that news has been out for like... ever.

as far as your theory Vita, you make such informative speculations, complete with pictures, i cant argue with you. i personally thing that it will take past way after LA, Before LoZ. but you got me thinkin twice now. if you end up being right i will send you 500 of my gold. just for the effort you have put into your case!

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Dude, what the heck is your problem? It's just a theory, you don't need to yell at me like a lunatic.

something thats confirmed=theory

yeah that makes sense

are you trying to be funny or are you trying to be a ****** cuz that news has been out for like... ever.
!

im not following that ****,thats probably why

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom