• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword ZD Community Gives No Love to SS? :(

Trust me, without dowsing It would be much harder, specially because you wouldn't really have a clue of where It is, dowsing sometimes gives you some confusing direction, but It's still a good enough hint to give you an idea of where the item is. Still, that's an exception, most of the times It gave away the location very accurately.

Er... that is not necessarily the point that I was trying to make.

My point is that I think it is sometimes pointless to look at dowsing as a feature that does everything for you in every situation. After all, the fact that dowsing points you in the right direction doesn't mean that it takes away ALL exploration, as there is still work to be done in getting from point A to point B in search for the location or item (conquering obstacles, climbing mountains, etc.)...

Conversely, I agree that dowsing can oftentimes detract from the whole experience by - in your words - "giving away the location very accurately." In other words, there are times when dowsing can be a bit "too accurate" - saying "hey, here's where the item is located; no need to search!" - thus putting a damper on the explorative aspects of the game... if you catch my drift...

All in all, [fortunately] both sides of the coin can be avoided thanks to the fact that dowsing is nearly completely optional... ;J

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
We already know it's in one of the lands, and which land it's in. The areas were in very obvious locations. In Faron, it was near the entrance to the deep woods, right next to the viewing platform, out in the open, and in plain sight. I teleported to Faron Woods, and I didn't even have to look for it. It was right there. In Lanaryu Desert, it was right next to the Mining Facility, out in the open, and in plain sight. The group of butterflies is very noticable, as well as the fog. If you go near the area, you'll see it. I didn't have to turn the lands upside down. Their locations were apparent, and were easy to find. With a little bit of exploring, they are all found very easily.

You act like there was some giant flashing sign telling you where it is. Butterflies can't exactly be spotted several feet away (and there's several of them). The mist was small and nearly invisible unless you were right next to it. There's nothing really significant about these places to think that the trial would be there.

Forest: Large Tree, Sealed Grounds, Outside the Temple, The platform itself, and Kikwi Elder area all seem like better candidates. They have significance. Some random area near the balcony isn't significant in itself.

Mountain: Entrance, Temple Entrace, Bokoblin Camp, Bokoblin Camp 2, and Deep Volcano entrance. All significant. We got an insignificant area of no importance whatsoever. No reason to suspect it would be there.

Desert: Well you got me there. Still, there are plenty of other areas it could have easily been at, such as the Entrance and the Temple of Time.

It's highly unlikely the developers would just put the water in any random place. I suppose it is somewhat needed here, but it's still very possible.

...But that was a completely random place. Just a random patch of water, that they put fairies over (which can't be seen until you actually approach it)

Are you calling me a liar? I did do it, and even if I were to get back to that section of the game, I wouldn't even know how to take a video and post it. I coould look around on Youtube and find one, I suppose, but I assure you I did do it. If you don't believe me, then whatever.

If you want to be so blunt, then yes, I have a hard time believing that you are telling the truth. I cannot fathom a reason why you would bore yourself for a large extended period of time for no benefit whatsoever. It seems more likely to me that you merely made this up for the sake of argument.

How would you have any idea that the treasure was the hookshot? When I first saw that, I was almost positive it was a sidequest, and i'm sure many others did to.

Not really...at this point in time, no sidequest had given me an item outside the Great Fairy. Dampe is not a Great Fairy. Dampe has an item. I need an item from Kakariko village. It's...pretty obvious.

Maybe dowsing is somewhat nessacary, but only for a very small portion of the game. Is that really that bad to you? Is it really that bad for dowsing to be used in a very small part of the game? Do you hate it that much?

No. It's the fact that it makes the game easy. It doesn't matter if it's optional or not. That has no relevance whatsoever. Nearly everything is optional. And with that in mind, we could get into a convuluted argument claiming that Zelda is one of the hardest series ever because of how much you can self challenge yourself if you really really want to.

I'm just gonna say this. There's a difference between having the dowsing used for things in the main quest (like finding the Sandship) and using it in the sidequests (like finding the Goddess Cubes). When I'm talking about the dowsing being an optional feature, I'm generally talking about the latter of these two. It's still an optional feature the entire game, but especially so in the sidequests. It's never even suggested for them. It's just there as a feature.

Dowsing...was never suggested. Are you kidding me? With Fi constantly popping up without my permission and reminding me to dowse everything...you think...it was never suggested?

Fi: Master! Try dowsing Zelda!

Fi: Master! Remember how to dowse Zelda?

Fi: Master! You should try dowsing Zelda here too. Do you need me to remind you how?

*beep beep beep beep beep beep* <--(Remember to dowse or this will keep going.)

Fi: Master! I can now dowse treasure! Feel free to use this feature at your leisure.

Fi: Master! I have picked up the signals of Goddess Cubes. Perhaps you should dowse them?

I forgot the messages for Heart Container dowsing and Gratitude Crystals, but rest assured, they are there.

As for it being optional...it doesn't matter. The word "optional" alone is misleading. That would imply it was merely put there as an extra help for those who were struggling with the main puzzles, sorta like how the Gossip Stone was there. But this was flung into our faces time and time again. Claiming it's optional doesn't make the game any harder. I could use your same argument to justify another claim that the 3D Zelda's are hard games.

Ocarina of Time's enemies too weak and slow? Well you had the option of not picking up those hearts. It's your fault for going out of the way to pick them up. It's also your fault for wearing the normal boots rather than the iron boots. Also why are you using the Master Sword? That makes the game too easy. Pick up the giants knife and break it. There we go. See how hard this game is?

Majora's Mask too easy? Well you're making the same mistakes. No more heart pieces. Quit helping those great fairies and earning new masks.

Wind Waker's enemies are too stupid? What? Take what you learned from Ocarina of Time. 3 hearts. Iron Boots. There you go! And remember, the boomerang is optional.

Twilight Princess's enemies are too easy? Well that's because you're doing the Hidden Skills sidequest like a noob. And what's with the Master Sword? That's optional. Use the Ordon Sword or glitch the Wooden Sword like a real pro. ;) Don't forget your iron boots and Zora armor! And keep your mitts off those heart pieces and that shield!

Hearts, shield, skills, armor, boots, and sword power...all of these are optional. But as you can see...it doesn't matter what self challenge you place on yourself. All of these make the game easier. Dowsing does too.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Since we're still talking about dowsing and my last name is Person... I just wanted to say...

Dowsing doesn't do everything for you. Yet, why do we stress it so much as a form of deterioration? Because in past Zelda games, the heavy gameplay aspect has been searching for hidden treasure. Not finding, but searching. (Underlining things makes them true.) Finding the treasure is only gratifying because of the search process. Because of this, dowsing impacts a Zelda game a bit more heavily than it would another game. Shadow of the Colossus has a type of dowsing and in that game it works really well because the game is not about searching for your enemies, but rather finding them and killing them. You can't explore without the chance of there not being something there. Because dowsing always tells you that there will indeed be something there, you are no longer exploring. Even with the Lens of Truth, or Wolf Sense, there was still a chance nothing would be there. So no, dowsing doesn't do EVERYTHING for you, but it takes away a major component that has been established in the Zelda series heavily making it feel like its taking alot more out of the game. With any game where one of the main aspects is taken out, you now feel like the challenge is too easy.

Whoo! Haven't given that speech in over two months!

@DarkestLink: Comparing a lot of those things to the optional nature of dowsing was a bad move. I doubt anyone here would go so far as to say that items like the Master Sword and the Boomerang are optional in their respective games; however, dowsing was. The fact of the matter is that NOTIFICATIONS are what is not optional. You can't turn them off. So in a nutshell, aside from a few instances sprinkled about, dowsing is an optional function (at least in most cases) [despite of the fact that you cannot turn NOTIFICATIONS off].

Kirino

Tatakae
You act like there was some giant flashing sign telling you where it is. Butterflies can't exactly be spotted several feet away (and there's several of them). The mist was small and nearly invisible unless you were right next to it. There's nothing really significant about these places to think that the trial would be there.

All of them were shining, and were in the way. All of them would be easily stumbled upon just by walking around for a while. Also, as soon as you get to the first one, you then know that all the next ones are entrances to the silent realm. All of them are located in obvious places.

Forest: Large Tree, Sealed Grounds, Outside the Temple, The platform itself, and Kikwi Elder area all seem like better candidates. They have significance. Some random area near the balcony isn't significant in itself.

That places connects two areas, and it is easy to get to. It is also right next to a bird statue, so if you warp to that bird statue, it will be right in front of you. After exploring for only literally 5 minutes, you would probably find it.

Mountain: Entrance, Temple Entrace, Bokoblin Camp, Bokoblin Camp 2, and Deep Volcano entrance. All significant. We got an insignificant area of no importance whatsoever. No reason to suspect it would be there.

No importance whatsoever? It was right in front of a bridge connecting the two halves of Eldin Volcano. If you were exploring, it would be very easy to find. Also, there was a bird statue right next to it. If you warped to the bird statue, it would be right in front of you.

Desert: Well you got me there. Still, there are plenty of other areas it could have easily been at, such as the Entrance and the Temple of Time.

That seemed like the best location to put it, and it was very obvious. As they all were. All of them were so in the way, sparkly, and in such obvious places, that they were very easy to find.

If you want to be so blunt, then yes, I have a hard time believing that you are telling the truth. I cannot fathom a reason why you would bore yourself for a large extended period of time for no benefit whatsoever. It seems more likely to me that you merely made this up for the sake of argument.

I did it for the extra challenge. It wasn't too difficult. After hitting it once, subsequent shots were a piece of cake. Just keep shooting. It's a pretty big ship...

Fi: Master! I can now dowse treasure! Feel free to use this feature at your leisure.

Fi: Master! I have picked up the signals of Goddess Cubes. Perhaps you should dowse them?

I forgot the messages for Heart Container dowsing and Gratitude Crystals, but rest assured, they are there.

So? Those are just when you unlock them. Dowsing is a completely optional tool, and is never stressed for sidequests.

Hearts, shield, skills, armor, boots, and sword power...all of these are optional. But as you can see...it doesn't matter what self challenge you place on yourself. All of these make the game easier. Dowsing does too.

You can always choose to place self challenges if you want. Just because it's suggested and stressed, doesn't mean you don't have to use them. If you think the game's too easy, then Nintendo lets you make it harder. Dowsing is never required to proceed. It is highly reccomended, and intended, but never required. If dowsing was actually forced, meaning you had no choice but to use it, your complaints would be warranted. It's not even that difficult. It only poses a slightly greater challenge to not use dowsing in most cases. If it took something a ridiculously long time without dowsing, or it was really that difficult, your complaints would be warranted as well, but it isn't really that much harder. Considering the option is always there, if you're unwilling to make the game harder for yourself, then you have no right to complain about it being to easy, especially when the game freely lets you choose whether or not to use it. It's never forced, and still easily possible without it.

Darkest Link: I don't get you, to the point where I'm not sure If you're trolling or being serious. Actually, I'm not even sure If you're defending dowsing or not anymore. Your arguments are pretty much base on the impossibility of exploring the map for some mysterious reason. That "you can't find Silent Realms without dowsing" argument is ridiculous, It's one of the easiest things to find without dowsing, the getting those fishes for you to complete Song of Hero on the other hand, can get very challenging. Oddly enough, you're defending how dowsing not really being optional due to the game constantly reminding you of It, feels like an argument someone against dowsing would use, not you.

The provinces are just the encompassing area. There are multiple areas within each that both look different and have different gameplay functions. It's just a different way of going about it. Some of the execution of this was flawed, sure, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the concept. If you disagree, then you're gonna have to take up issue with the entire Metroid franchise, and I wouldn't consider that a wise idea, given how successful it is.
I barely consider this a flaw, I just find that a bigger diversity of different looking places amazes me more than just the desert, volcano and forest that SS had. I'm not saying all locations weren't different, but not different enough to please me as much as they did back on older Zeldas. I sincerely don't know how to make myself more clear, but the way you're saying makes me feel like you didn't get my point.

As for metroid, that's a completely different situation. It's been like that since always, so when I play Metroid I don't really get disappointed by It not having something that It never had to begin with.

Since we're still talking about dowsing and my last name is Person... I just wanted to say...

Dowsing doesn't do everything for you. Yet, why do we stress it so much as a form of deterioration? Because in past Zelda games, the heavy gameplay aspect has been searching for hidden treasure. Not finding, but searching. (Underlining things makes them true.) Finding the treasure is only gratifying because of the search process. Because of this, dowsing impacts a Zelda game a bit more heavily than it would another game. Shadow of the Colossus has a type of dowsing and in that game it works really well because the game is not about searching for your enemies, but rather finding them and killing them. You can't explore without the chance of there not being something there. Because dowsing always tells you that there will indeed be something there, you are no longer exploring. Even with the Lens of Truth, or Wolf Sense, there was still a chance nothing would be there. So no, dowsing doesn't do EVERYTHING for you, but it takes away a major component that has been established in the Zelda series heavily making it feel like its taking alot more out of the game. With any game where one of the main aspects is taken out, you now feel like the challenge is too easy.

Whoo! Haven't given that speech in over two months!
This, so much.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Part 2 of my Random rant!

After what I said is said, people usually follow up with... "It's optional so it doesn't count to be included as difficulty." And yeah, it is indeed optional. Me and others... wait... correct grammar... others and I have agreed on that many times. I, which is me, have even pointed out that I accept things like the SS gossip stones as not counting. So why in the Wig are we still down on dowsing!?! Well, the difference in SS gossip stones and SS dowsing is that the game expected us to use it. GS's (yay for acronyms!) are mentioned a couple of times and once you say "no" the game's like, "okay, I'll be here if you need me." So I don't count it. Dowsing... asked many times to be used, Fi will continue beeping until you try every individual type of dowsing, dowsing is used on almost every kind of item you can find and certain items (both main quest and sidequest) are unfairly ridiculously, almost impossibly, difficult to find without resorting to dowsing. This is all proof that the game is heavily insinuating that it wants you to use it. BUT IF ALL THAT ISN'T PROOF ENOUGH...! (the caps help to stress the moment) after you get Naryu's flame, your sword's dowsing ability is upgraded. This makes dowsing not only a gameplay tool, but a decent part of the story. Gameplay... story... two very important parts to gaming and this feature is in both of them... The game is drawing attention to use dowsing... ALOT!

"But Random! Optional is optional. Even if I agreed with that the game wants you to use it, you never have to and therefore it still doesn't count."

To people who say that, I put this point out which has yet to be addressed by anyone defending dowsing in any argument I've been in. Dowsing doesn't count, yet when you play Zelda games, you don't say it's insanely hard because the heart containers don't count. Dowsing doesn't count, yet when you play an FPS you don't exclude grenades and all weapons you don't need. (Most of which are all guns except the one you start with. Sometimes you can even melee and don't need guns at all!) Dowsing doesn't count, but in superhero games you don't exclude all the powers you get after the game starts. (I can only think of one upgraded power you NEED in the first inFAMOUS game outside the sewer turotials). Dowsing doesn't count, yet in Super Mario Bros the mushroom is included when discussing difficulty. Dowsing doesn't count... yet every other optional feature in other games do? Random and Person don't understand this logic. However, we do understand that being part of a game is being a part of a game. I, and others whom shall remain nameless, do agree that optional features that the game doesn't want you to use don't necessarily need to be counted among gameplay difficulty. But rather than saying "optional is optional and that's the bottom line." I'm more likely to say "an easy part of a game is an easy part of the game"

Stay tuned for part 3. (If any)

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
To people who say that, I put this point out which has yet to be addressed by anyone defending dowsing in any argument I've been in. Dowsing doesn't count, yet when you play Zelda games, you don't say it's insanely hard because the heart containers don't count.

I actually DO consider the Heart Containers as optional and therefore not part of the base difficulty. The base difficulty of a Zelda game to me is a minimalist runthrough. Recommended by the game or not, if it's not a forced function, then it's just something there as an aid. That's my standpoint. Dowsing easily falls under that.

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
I don't know if there have been any spoilers in this thread so far but if there have been then I'm just oblivious to them, haha :) I think I'll avoid this thread until I play SS on Christmas. Keep discussing, by all means though, but please don't get mad at each other. I'd feel guilty :(

Part 2 of my Random rant!

After what I said is said, people usually follow up with... "It's optional so it doesn't count to be included as difficulty." And yeah, it is indeed optional. Me and others... wait... correct grammar... others and I have agreed on that many times. I, which is me, have even pointed out that I accept things like the SS gossip stones as not counting. So why in the Wig are we still down on dowsing!?! Well, the difference in SS gossip stones and SS dowsing is that the game expected us to use it. GS's (yay for acronyms!) are mentioned a couple of times and once you say "no" the game's like, "okay, I'll be here if you need me." So I don't count it. Dowsing... asked many times to be used, Fi will continue beeping until you try every individual type of dowsing, dowsing is used on almost every kind of item you can find and certain items (both main quest and sidequest) are unfairly ridiculously, almost impossibly, difficult to find without resorting to dowsing. This is all proof that the game is heavily insinuating that it wants you to use it. BUT IF ALL THAT ISN'T PROOF ENOUGH...! (the caps help to stress the moment) after you get Naryu's flame, your sword's dowsing ability is upgraded. This makes dowsing not only a gameplay tool, but a decent part of the story. Gameplay... story... two very important parts to gaming and this feature is in both of them... The game is drawing attention to use dowsing... ALOT!

"But Random! Optional is optional. Even if I agreed with that the game wants you to use it, you never have to and therefore it still doesn't count."

To people who say that, I put this point out which has yet to be addressed by anyone defending dowsing in any argument I've been in. Dowsing doesn't count, yet when you play Zelda games, you don't say it's insanely hard because the heart containers don't count. Dowsing doesn't count, yet when you play an FPS you don't exclude grenades and all weapons you don't need. (Most of which are all guns except the one you start with. Sometimes you can even melee and don't need guns at all!) Dowsing doesn't count, but in superhero games you don't exclude all the powers you get after the game starts. (I can only think of one upgraded power you NEED in the first inFAMOUS game). Dowsing doesn't count, yet in Super Mario Bros the mushroom is included when discussing difficulty. Dowsing doesn't count... yet every other optional feature in other games do? Random and Person don't understand this logic. However, we do understand that being part of a game is being a part of a game. I, and others whom shall remain nameless, do agree that optional features that the game doesn't want you to use don't necessarily need to be counted among gameplay difficulty. But rather than saying "optional is optional and that's the bottom line." I'm more likely to say "an easy part of a game is an easy part of the game"

Stay tuned for part 3. (If any)

Due to the fact that I am on this god-forsaken tablet, I am not even gonna attempt to break down this wall of text. What I will address, however, is the part where you claim the game - or rather, Fi - begs you to use dowsing...

Scenario: Your mom requests that you run an errand for her; we'll say pick up a few items from the store. Your mom recommends that you walk. Keep in mind that she doesn't say that you HAVE to walk, she simply recommends it. However, you can choose between the option to walk (as mom recommends), ride your bike, or drive your car to the store, so long as the errand is run. BUT mom is naggy and she persistently insists that you walk. I'd imagine that by this point you are irked beyond belief; so much so, that it almost makes you want to just walk... just to shut her up, right? Well, the fact of that mom is naggingly insisting that you walk doesn't change the fact that walking is still just an option - one of three options, in fact (along with driving and riding your bike).

Now for a moment... place Fi in the role of mom and Link in the role of yourself; walking can be dowsing. As annoying as Fi (mom) can be about dowsing (walking), the option to complete a quest (go to the store) without it is still there, it is just Fi (mom) who's not optional; you just can't get her (mom) to shut up lol. In the end it is Fi (mom) that is the problem, not dowsing (walking).

Most of the problems with dowsing - which seem to center around the fact that the game "practically begs you to use it" - could have been precluded if the game included the option to turn off - or at least mitigate - Fi and her incessant, intrusive nagging (about dowsing). As annoying as the notifications (about dowsing) can be, we mustn't look at it as though we are being forced (to use dowsing; bar a few seldom occasions where it is mandatory)...

Now... don't ever make me have to post this much - this late at night - on this god-forsaken tablet ever again... ;p (jk ilu rp)

Last edited by a moderator:

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Due to the fact that I am on this god-forsaken tablet, I am not even gonna attempt to break down this wall of text. What I will address, however, is the part where you claim the game - or rather, Fi - begs you to use dowsing...

Scenario: Your mom requests that you run an errand for her; we'll say pick up a few items from the store. Your mom recommends that you walk. Keep in mind that she doesn't say that you HAVE to walk, she simply recommends it. However, you can choose between the option to walk (as mom recommends), ride your bike, or drive your car to the store, so long as the errand is run. BUT mom is naggy and she persistently insists that you walk. I'd imagine that by this point you are irked beyond belief; so much so, that it almost makes you want to just walk... just to shut her up, right? Well, the fact of that mom is naggingly insisting that you walk doesn't change the fact that walking is still just an option - one of three options, in fact (along with driving and riding your bike). You can choose to ignore your mom, just like you can choose to ignore dowsing, just like you can choose to ignore using grenades in an FPS, but in the end, you're the one making it harder on yourself.

Now for a moment... place Fi in the role of mom and Link in the role of yourself; walking can be dowsing. As annoying as Fi (mom) can be about dowsing (walking), the option to complete a quest (go to the store) without it is still there, it is just Fi (mom) who's not optional; you just can't get her (mom) to shut up lol. In the end it is Fi (mom) that is the problem, not dowsing (walking).

Most of the problems with dowsing - which seem to center around the fact that the game "practically begs you to use it" - could have been precluded if the game included the option to turn off - or at least mitigate - Fi and her incessant, intrusive nagging (about dowsing). As annoying as the notifications (about dowsing) can be, we mustn't look as it as being forced (to use dowsing; bar a few seldom occasions where it is mandatory)...

Now... don't ever make me have to post this much - this late at night - on the god forsaken tablet ever again... ;p (jk ilu rp)

Don't reply if you don't want a reply. ;)

Here inlies what I see about your situation. (Because my opinion is always 100% correct!) Your mom is not Fi, but rather she is the creator of the game. She designed the scenerio and is informing you of the option she prefers you to take. Fi is not your mom but rather she is your mom's voice, a tool used to continually express what your mother (aka the creator of the game) wants you to do. Yes, the choice is yours, which I said, but that doesn't change that the game wants it done such and such way. Experimentation on making gameplay more interesting is a choice you can make, but probably won't do so until after your first play through. You can choose to ignore your mom, just like you can choose to ignore dowsing, just like you can choose to ignore grenades in an FPS, but in the end, you are making the situation more difficult by choosing to do so. The situation inheritely has an easy solution that you're Personally choosing to ignore.

Now, even if I agreed with your example, which I don't, this is but one of the factors that made it seem like the game is stressing dowsing. One factor of a subject does not the subject make, but when several things are built up upon, they come together. If I say "Said game is bad because it has bad gameplay, bad story, bad graphics and bad frame rate." And you say "The frame rate wasn't that bad" there's not much ground that's been gotten. Granted you did warn me that you weren't going to respond to everything I said, but still... (but still is the best way to end a point when you don't really have a point)

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Here inlies what I see about your situation. (Because my opinion is always 100% correct!) Your mom is not Fi, but rather she is the creator of the game. She designed the scenerio and is informing you of the option she prefers you to take. Fi is not your mom but rather she is your mom's voice, a tool used to continually express what your mother (aka the creator of the game) wants you to do. Yes, the choice is yours, which I said, but that doesn't change that the game wants it done such and such way. Experimentation on making gameplay more interesting is a choice you can make, but probably won't do so until after your first play through.

Now, even if I agreed with your example, which I don't, this is but one of the factors that made it seem like the game is stressing dowsing. One factor of a subject does not the subject make, but when several things are built up upon, they come together. If I say "Said game is bad because it has bad gameplay, bad story, bad graphics and bad frame rate." And you say "The frame rate wasn't that bad" there's not much ground that's been gotten. Granted you did warn me that you weren't going to respond to everything I said, but still... (but still is the best way to end a point when you don't really have a point)

You know, there's a difference between a character suggesting something for the sake of characterization and the game telling you "YOU MUST USE DOWSING!!1!". Other games do things like this all the time (including Metal Gear Solid) and no one seems to complain about them.

Experimentation on making gameplay more interesting is a choice you can make, but probably won't do so until after your first play through.

So you're speaking for everyone when you say this? That's a rather bold thing to assume. Just because YOU wouldn't doesn't mean other would do the same.

Don't reply if you don't want a reply. ;)

Here inlies what I see about your situation. (Because my opinion is always 100% correct!) Your mom is not Fi, but rather she is the creator of the game. She designed the scenerio and is informing you of the option she prefers you to take. Fi is not your mom but rather she is your mom's voice, a tool used to continually express what your mother (aka the creator of the game) wants you to do. Yes, the choice is yours, which I said, but that doesn't change that the game wants it done such and such way. Experimentation on making gameplay more interesting is a choice you can make, but probably won't do so until after your first play through. You can choose to ignore your mom, just like you can choose to ignore dowsing, just like you can choose to ignore grenades in an FPS, but in the end, you are making the situation more difficult by choosing to do so. The situation inheritely has an easy solution that you're Personally choosing to ignore.

@Bold part: Yey... more difficulty... I am quite sure that is what a lot of people were looking for, hence this discussion (arguing the point of whether or not dowsing makes the game harder or whatever). The fact that one can choose to ignore dowsing is what I am advocating here; for many, not using dowsing makes the game harder/enhances exploration a bit - this is a great thing for many; it is to die for for some people, actually. lol). The game, Miyamoto, Nintendo can use Fi (mom lol) as a proxy to insist that I use dowsing until the cows come home, but I can still choose to ignore them if I wish and complete 90-ish% of the game without it. ...and all I'd have to do is put up with nagging notifications.

Speaking of which, thanks for agreeing with me that notifications (Nintendo trying to ""force"" us into doing stuff via Fi) is wherein the real problem lies... ;}

Dunno what any of this means, but it doesn't apply to me, as I consider Skyward Sword to be nigh flawless. I also like dowsing (Gosh, I wish you were around when the SS section was my home, so that you could have seen my posts in regards to this stuff lol.); I am simply advocating the fact that it is nearly totally optional...

I forgot to mention this before, but dowsing isn't as optional as people think it is, It made an direct impact on the gameplay, opening doors to all those fetch quests which didn't happen that often on other zeldas.

You know, there's a difference between a character suggesting something for the sake of characterization and the game telling you "YOU MUST USE DOWSING!!1!". Other games do things like this all the time (including Metal Gear Solid) and no one seems to complain about them.
I really think those codec hints shouldn't be compared to Fi, especially because It doesn't happen that often. Actually, the only time I remember It offering suggestions was on MGS1 when It told you where to get meryl codec, but unlike dowsing, that was kinda necessary, most people would never have noticed that It was on the game package.

I forgot to mention this before, but dowsing isn't as optional as people think it is, It made an direct impact on the gameplay, opening doors to all those fetch quests which didn't happen that often on other zeldas.

Yeah... those are the instances where dowsing is kinda mandatory. I am almost certain that most people [in this thread] don't mind a bit of help from dowsing to be too awful; they seem to just have a problem with it if it completely governs the entire game, which I personally think it does not. I still hold fast to my opinion that it is at least 90-ish% optional, but I'd still be content with it even if it weren't... Ugh... now if only I could away with those intrusive notifications. Lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom