• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros WiiU3DS

Smash Bros WiiU3DS customisable move-set

Smash Bros WiiU and DS are as mysterious as Zelda WiiU at this point. We know the roster won't be much bigger than it is now (if the number increases at all), but we don't know much else, all we have really heard are whispers about a potential level up system and that the link between 3DS and WiiU will be an important one...

So, if the roster isn't expanding, what is best to do with the character that are already there? How would the WiiU give them more depth?

I kind of think customisable move-sets might be a good move. Particularly the up and down specials (which have changed for some characters between Melee and Brawl. Customisable move-sets could really make the game feel bigger, not just focusing on specials but other moves too like smash attacks and final smashes, these moves could be unlocked or found like the trophies in the subspace/adventure mode. The WiiU's game pad would no doubt make a nice customising screen and it could be a more in depth thing to collect than random trophies of obscure characters (not that there is any need to take them out)

of course bringing in new moves also means that we could be screwed over by DLc with nintendo selling Final Smash moves online, but they aren't Capcom, so maybe we wouldn't need to worry about. that..

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Super Smash bros is more of a game where you pick a character and fight your opponents where they have their own default movesets, and I believe it should stay that way. It's more fun to have a default moveset and just battle instead of worrying about which move will suit best against so and so. Super Smash Bros is a basic yet very fun fighting game it shouldn't change just for the hell of it.

Last edited:

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
While games like Marvel Vs Capcom 3 have the customizable moves in the sense of support moves, with a game like Smash Bros, you only control one character (unless you are the ice climbers.) I see no reason to add customization to the moveset as a lot of the skill in Smash Bros comes from knowing how to counter your opponent's moves and get the upper hand.

The customization might be good if there was a create your own character based off your Miis, but even then I don't think I'd be a fan. Most likely it would just end up being a clone of a character that already existed.

I'm also kind of saddened that they are limiting the roster. Yeah I realize that they want to keep it small so it's easier to balance everyone *cough*Metaknight*cough* but still. I like having a large selection of characters to choose from. Granted if it got much bigger, than you'd probably just end up with a ton of clones. But even the clones of Smash Bros feel different enough to me that I'm okay with it for the most part.

Also not liking the idea of two separate games released at the same time. If you are able to play 3DS vs WiiU, then that's fine....but I don't like the idea of having to pay for 2 games to get the full experience.

Still super excited, but I also really want a huge roster.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
All I think should happen is a refurbishing, as in, a thorough clean of movesets. Asides from updating appearances and animations with the obvious graphical improvements, all that should really be done regarding veteran characters is fixing that wrong with their moves. Essentially, balance every character.

Clones are the real offenders here, with movesets that are hardly original. While this does lead to an easier time balancing, they are generally frowned upon by the audience for being lazy entries in the roster, despite the characters themselves generally being popular. There are frequent suggestions by the fanbase to make completely original movesets. This, I am not a fan of. I simply want some further luigification to occur.

“WTF is luigification?” Allow me to explain. In the origins of Mario, Luigi was a simple palette swap. A clone, if you will. Throughout its series, Luigi has become his own separate and (in most cases) a unique character, Smash Bros. included. Where he was an undisputed clone Super Smash Bros, he was refurbished for Melee, gaining numerous unique moves, distancing him as a character from Mario. In Brawl, Luigi gained further differences from Mario, and even calling him a semi-clone is disputable.

This luigification process happened to several characters between Melee and Brawl. Dr. Mario, Falco, Pichu, Ganondorf, Young Link and Roy were each clones of another character in Melee. They are each carbon copies of the originals. I mean even the freaking roster menu blatantly shows who clones are. They're all placed right next to the originals. (see spoiler tag)

azju8.jpg
Anyway, there was a popular rumour before Brawl that it would contain no clones. This would mean all the aforementioned characters would be removed or redesigned. Despite being unbelieved at first, it turned out to have notable truth to it. Dr. Mario, Pichu and Roy were dropped entirely, Young Link was replaced by Toon Link, and Falco and Ganondorf (the more important, popular and staple characters) were redesigned.

For example, in Brawl, Ganondorf gained new tilts, changed several animations and got a different special move. Falco has new aerial attacks and uses his reflector differently. Toon and Young Link who, simply for the sake of comparison, I will refer to as the same character, changed some throws and aerials among other things.The trend of luigified characters should continue by redesigning Falco, Ganondorf, Toon/Young Link plus (to a lesser extent) Lucas, Wolf and Luigi. These means more unique final smashes, tilts, smashes, aerials, special moves, etc in cases where they aren't already different.

Finally, while it doesn't directly refer to characters themselves, I think the pratfalling mechanic should change. My suggestion is to make tripping depend on the dashes per minute, and not pure chance like it is in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. This will make it what it was originally intended for, punishing those who excessively dash, instead of have characters completely randomly fall flat on their faces.

All I think should happen is a refurbishing, as in, a thorough clean of movesets. Asides from updating appearances and animations with the obvious graphical improvements, all that should really be done regarding veteran characters is fixing that wrong with their moves. Essentially, balance every character.

Clones are the real offenders here, with movesets that are hardly original. While this does lead to an easier time balancing, they are generally frowned upon by the audience for being lazy entries in the roster, despite the characters themselves generally being popular. There are frequent suggestions by the fanbase to make completely original movesets. This, I am not a fan of. I simply want some further luigification to occur.

“WTF is luigification?” Allow me to explain. In the origins of Mario, Luigi was a simple palette swap. A clone, if you will. Throughout its series, Luigi has become his own separate and (in most cases) a unique character, Smash Bros. included. Where he was an undisputed clone Super Smash Bros, he was refurbished for Melee, gaining numerous unique moves, distancing him as a character from Mario. In Brawl, Luigi gained further differences from Mario, and even calling him a semi-clone is disputable.

This luigification process happened to several characters between Melee and Brawl. Dr. Mario, Falco, Pichu, Ganondorf, Young Link and Roy were each clones of another character in Melee. They are each carbon copies of the originals. I mean even the freaking roster menu blatantly shows who clones are. They're all placed right next to the originals. (see spoiler tag)

azju8.jpg
Anyway, there was a popular rumour before Brawl that it would contain no clones. This would mean all the aforementioned characters would be removed or redesigned. Despite being unbelieved at first, it turned out to have notable truth to it. Dr. Mario, Pichu and Roy were dropped entirely, Young Link was replaced by Toon Link, and Falco and Ganondorf (the more important, popular and staple characters) were redesigned.

For example, in Brawl, Ganondorf gained new tilts, changed several animations and got a different special move. Falco has new aerial attacks and uses his reflector differently. Toon and Young Link who, simply for the sake of comparison, I will refer to as the same character, changed some throws and aerials among other things.The trend of luigified characters should continue by redesigning Falco, Ganondorf, Toon/Young Link plus (to a lesser extent) Lucas, Wolf and Luigi. These means more unique final smashes, tilts, smashes, aerials, special moves, etc in cases where they aren't already different.

Finally, while it doesn't directly refer to characters themselves, I think the pratfalling mechanic should change. My suggestion is to make tripping depend on the dashes per minute, and not pure chance like it is in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. This will make it what it was originally intended for, punishing those who excessively dash, instead of have characters completely randomly fall flat on their faces.

Nice idea, its just slightly concerning of how long we'd have to wait for this Luigification to take a worthwhile effect on certain characters, the examples you used were fine, but personally and to others too most likely, the characters still feel like clones, its just worrying that Luigification could take another 4 games for a character to feel unique, it took Luigi 25 years to get where he is now.. that'd be terrible for Smash Bros to take that long with its clones. Lets hope Nintendo back you on this Krazy. Great post. =]

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Spirit of Rutela said:
Nice idea, its just slightly concerning of how long we'd have to wait for this Luigification to take a worthwhile effect on certain characters, the examples you used were fine, but personally and to others too most likely, the characters still feel like clones, its just worrying that Luigification could take another 4 games for a character to feel unique, it took Luigi 25 years to get where he is now.. that'd be terrible for Smash Bros to take that long with its clones. Lets hope Nintendo back you on this Krazy. Great post. =]

By dropping out full clones from the Smash Bros. series, I think it's safe to say that Sakurai is now against the idea of clones. Luigification should be much faster than before because of this. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom