• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern The Wind Waker or Twilight Princess: Which GameCube Title Do You Prefer?

Which Do You Like Better: The Wind Waker or Twilight Princess?

• The Wind Waker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twilight Princess

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Definitely Wind Waker. I was profoundly disappointed with Twilight Princess. Everything in WW is just better. At least WW has dungeons and bosses that are somewhat challenging. At least WW doesn't have characters that make me want to strangle them. (Looking at YOU, Midna.) WW's graphics are also far superior, and definitely better to look at. TP's graphics look ridiculously bland and drab and dreary and boring. WW's graphics were beautiful and colorful and full of life.

I just think everything in WW was done better. I really like it a lot more than TP.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Just gonna say... I think TP's dungeons were harder, even though only slightly.
I don't. TP's dungeons NEVER gave me a single decent challenge. Neither did any of the bosses.

I wanted to strangle Tingle and the man fish. :/

Tingle I can agree with. But I didn't have a problem with the fish man.

The Wind Waker.

I love OoT, but TP was trying to hard to be OoT and to hard to be 'dark'. In that respect it ended up just falling short because of it. Even so, I do like it but TWW was a unique experience in Zelda and gave the series a whole new look and feel. I loved the nautical feeling of the game. I loved exploring the vast oceans and islands that dotted it. I am not sure how it's size is compared to other Zelda titles (counting land size mainly), but it felt huge and that's important. Plus it felt a the older games, I felt I could explore at my hearts content and not be roped off to a very confined area for the whole game. Sure in the beginning you are confined to Outset Island and the Forbidden but once you get the King of Red Lions and his sail back the world is yours to discover. That sense of explorations is what I love about games like Zelda so TWW wins for me.

Plus I liked the story better and I liked Ganondorf more in TWW then in TP. He was actually an intriguing villain rather than just another take over the world kind of guy. TWW also had more creative gameplay elements including using your companions in a couple of dungeons and some unique items and weapons like the Deku Leaf and a companion that was very helpful beyond just dialogue.

Garo

Boy Wonder
I played Twilight Princess on the Wii, but it ultimately is the same game. And it's not quite as good as Wind Waker, but it's still incredibly good.

Wind Waker gets the edge because it elicits far greater emotions. The Great Sea and the accompanying music really evoke that feeling of adventurousness and excitement; Twilight Princess, on the other hand, feels somewhat subdued. Granted, that's the tone the game was attempting to capture, and it did that fairly well, but that tone simply isn't as effective. Its more somber direction is less engaging than Wind Waker's spirited adventurousness.

As far as dungeons go...I don't really remember which I found harder as it's been a while since I played either (Though I do remember getting lost in the Lakebed Temple). I will say though that I liked TP's dungeon atmospheres more then TWW. TWW might have been more challenging, idk, but dungeons like Snowpeak Ruins and Arbiters Ground were really cool from that perspective.

I still think over all TWW is much better though even if I didn't find it's dungeons as memorable.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Both games are about neck and neck but here I'll say TWW just because. Both were particularly easy titles, and the only challenge (for me) was building up motivation to 100% each title -- you know, since both have MASSIVE overworlds that are super ultra tedious to travel lol. Besides the odd moment when I got stuck in TWW (Jalhalla woo! Deku Tree Woo!), I don't think the game was particularly hard. And TP, hidden skills made the game easy and have that flair, but even if you restrict yourself to minimalist, the game doesn't act hard thanks to auto-shielding. So idk, difficulty isn't a factor.

I felt TWW was largely the bigger game, talking game world size. The dungeons also felt bigger, and I like that. I prefer Epona to boat-travel, but the KoRL was more relevant to the game as a whole than Epona was. And the characters in TWW were all side characters serving just a side character role; in TP there were a bunch of side characters (Ilia is the prime example) who were SUPPOSED to be side characters but tried to jump into main character position and just weren't pulled off the greatest.

TWW winsfor me.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
And the characters in TWW were all side characters serving just a side character role; in TP there were a bunch of side characters (Ilia is the prime example) who were SUPPOSED to be side characters but tried to jump into main character position and just weren't pulled off the greatest.

With Ilia, it's not that she tried to jump into a main character position, it's that she was given a proper role in the first half of the game, but was dropped off the radar until she was randomly made important again.

With Ilia, it's not that she tried to jump into a main character position, it's that she was given a proper role in the first half of the game, but was dropped off the radar until she was randomly made important again.

That's another reason I liked TWW more. It's story flowed a lot better. In TP it felt a little disjointed. It felt like that they had big plans for certain characters but then changed them in the middle of development or that they couldn't figure out what to do with certain ones.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao

I wouldn't say it's that, because her role that she was given was a really minor one from the start. Then, plot twist, she's needed to practically restore an item that is, in itself, completely useless and UNCOOL just to reach the next dungeon. She was trying to put her feet in shoes that just weren't her size, I'm guessing. Compare this to TWW with, say, Aryll. Aryll is a sweet little girl much like Ilia, but Aryll doesn't try to be a main character -- she's a side character that serves as the driving force for approximately half of the game, then she "willingly" (saying willingly here because she doesn't pop up anytime later, except credits as I recall) stops acting as a driving force and that role is passed onto Tetra/Zelda.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I wouldn't say it's that, because her role that she was given was a really minor one from the start. Then, plot twist, she's needed to practically restore an item that is, in itself, completely useless and UNCOOL just to reach the next dungeon. She was trying to put her feet in shoes that just weren't her size, I'm guessing. Compare this to TWW with, say, Aryll. Aryll is a sweet little girl much like Ilia, but Aryll doesn't try to be a main character -- she's a side character that serves as the driving force for approximately half of the game, then she "willingly" (saying willingly here because she doesn't pop up anytime later, except credits as I recall) stops acting as a driving force and that role is passed onto Tetra/Zelda.

That's exactly what I was talking about with her being randomly important again. She actually had a pretty major role in the story before that. Not as a character, but as a presence. She was a large reason for Link to keep moving forward.

Well... I have only played Twilight Princess on the Wii and have never played Wind Waker, so it's probably for the best if I abstain from voting on this one. :lol:

I admit, I have never felt motivated to try playing the Wind Waker due to its unnecessarily cartoonish graphics; but it does seem to get good reviews. Maybe I'll give it a second look.

I love OoT, but TP was trying to hard to be OoT

I never understood that statement, TBH.

To answer the topic, I can't decide. TWW had good exploration, great-looking graphics, lots of fun minigames but the sailing was boring and the Triforce quest was tedious.
TP had a good sidekick (at least Midna had a personality and not the ones that came before), good story, Zant was the first antagonist (at least, I think he was) that starting to get more involved into the plot instead of just staying in the background but suffered from lack of exploration and mini-games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom