• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Question About Spirit Tracks Timeline

J

jakesuhr

Ok so what I don't understand is how does Hyrule exist in Spirit Tracks because if its in the distant future of Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass wouldn't that mean that Hyrule is still located underneath the Great Sea as wished to remain by the King Hyrule in Wind Waker? I wouldn't have even questioned it at first cause some say the timeline splits into 2 different tangents of like alternate realities but they say Zelda is a descendent of Wind Waker Zelda aka Tetra and apparently a 100 or so year old Niko is in it. Which means its a distant future of Wind Waker. So to me Hyrule should be well underneath the Great Sea not existing topside of the Sea.

Can anyone explain that to me? I usually don't pay too close attention to timelines and just play the game but this one has me puzzled.

TheMinish

Hero of the Skies
Ok so what I don't understand is how does Hyrule exist in Spirit Tracks because if its in the distant future of Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass wouldn't that mean that Hyrule is still located underneath the Great Sea as wished to remain by the King Hyrule in Wind Waker? I wouldn't have even questioned it at first cause some say the timeline splits into 2 different tangents of like alternate realities but they say Zelda is a descendent of Wind Waker Zelda aka Tetra and apparently a 100 or so year old Niko is in it. Which means its a distant future of Wind Waker. So to me Hyrule should be well underneath the Great Sea not existing topside of the Sea.

Can anyone explain that to me? I usually don't pay too close attention to timelines and just play the game but this one has me puzzled.

I could be completely wrong, and if I am, I will delete this comment to avoid negative reputation.

But at the end of Wind Waker, Link and Tetra travelled away and founded a place called 'New Hyrule' and thats where this game takes place.

If I am wrong other Zelda Dungeon members, please tell me, I will remove this.

J

jakesuhr

As far as I remember they didn't find a 'New Hyrule' at the end it just showed them sailing off to the seas together but with Tetra and her pirates in her ship and Link in the boat of the King of Red Lions.

and at the end of Phantom Hourglass they just debate whether they were really dreaming or not and Link sees Linebeck (btw thats a weird name!) and realized his wish for his ship to be brought back came true but nothing other than that was told.

Its not the original Hyrule, its a New Hyrule founded by Tetra and Link from the Wind Waker. The Zelda in Spirit Tracks is a descendent of Tetra. When Tetra arrived on New Hyrule there were already inhabitants there, The Lokomo's and all the other races you see in the game. When Tetra arrived and started a new kingdom, The Lokomo's gave her the spirit flute and they guarded the tower of spirits and the 5 temples surrounding it.

S

Silverk42

I could be completely wrong, and if I am, I will delete this comment to avoid negative reputation.

But at the end of Wind Waker, Link and Tetra travelled away and founded a place called 'New Hyrule' and thats where this game takes place.

If I am wrong other Zelda Dungeon members, please tell me, I will remove this.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you got most of the information correct, there is very few options for Spirit Tracks in the timeline right now. ( At least thats what I think, the truth is there is probably tons of possibilities ) but ye.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
It tells you in the game that Tetra founded this place as New Hyrule.

So in effect at the moment there are 2 Hyrules on the timeline. The normal old Hyrule, and the Adult Timeline New Hyrule 100 years or so after Phantom Hourglass.

J

jakesuhr

when does it say they found New Hyrule? I remember in the game that Tetra said we will make a new hyrule but the king of Hyrule said it will not be hyrule but your land to name it whatever you want. So I assumed it wouldn't be hyrule.

Well this is a quite difficult topic, but this is one of my specialties so
I'll do my best. Before I answer it though, I want to say that there is very little canon for this and it's mostly up to speculation (just like everything in the timeline).

First off recall the King of Red Lions' final words to Link and Zelda at the end of WW (*SPOLIER*): (paraphrased since I don't have it right in front of me) "Go and find a new land". Phantom Hourglass may be them trying to find that new land but eventually they found it and after I'm thinking 500 years later, Spirit Tracks occurs. The theory that ST takes place only 100 years after PH to me is obsurd. Tetra would not have time to get married, have a child (Zelda in ST), that girl grow to ten to 11 years old, and die in only 100 years. Also there is the locomotive power, 5 temples, and the spirits vs maladus war (and I think the game said it lasted multiple YEARS). So much had to have happened so fast in order for ST to take place just 100 years after PH.

So anyway, it is asumed by many people that ST takes place in "New Hyrule". However one thing I'd like to add is that Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 are generally placed (by generally I mean I place them there) on the adult timeline (just like WW, PH, and ST), and there many of the major Zelda landmarks in them, so I think this actually takes place several thousand years later where much of the water has receded (sorry I spelled that wrong I'm sure) over time.

I hope this helped.

Well this is a quite difficult topic, but this is one of my specialties so
I'll do my best. Before I answer it though, I want to say that there is very little canon for this and it's mostly up to speculation (just like everything in the timeline).

First off recall the King of Red Lions' final words to Link and Zelda at the end of WW (*SPOLIER*): (paraphrased since I don't have it right in front of me) "Go and find a new land". Phantom Hourglass may be them trying to find that new land but eventually they found it and after I'm thinking 500 years later, Spirit Tracks occurs. The theory that ST takes place only 100 years after PH to me is obsurd. Tetra would not have time to get married, have a child (Zelda in ST), that girl grow to ten to 11 years old, and die in only 100 years. Also there is the locomotive power, 5 temples, and the spirits vs maladus war (and I think the game said it lasted multiple YEARS). So much had to have happened so fast in order for ST to take place just 100 years after PH.

So anyway, it is asumed by many people that ST takes place in "New Hyrule". However one thing I'd like to add is that Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 are generally placed (by generally I mean I place them there) on the adult timeline (just like WW, PH, and ST), and there many of the major Zelda landmarks in them, so I think this actually takes place several thousand years later where much of the water has receded (sorry I spelled that wrong I'm sure) over time.

I hope this helped.

Uh, yeah she would. Besides I thought that was pretty much confirmed. Plus Niko appears in ST as an old man, how do you explain that? Did he live to be over 500? Even over 100 is a lot but at least believable.

Last edited:
Un, yeah she would. I thought that was pretty much confirmed. Plus Niko appears in ST as an old man, how do you explain that? Did he live to be over 500? Even over 100 is a lot but at least believable.

Yes, and to add, there was Linebeck III. Linebeck III was probably in his 40s in Spirit Tracks, so if anything, ST is less than 100 years after Phantom Hourglass.

Back on topic, I believe the Hyrule in ST, "New Hyrule" is a completely different land than the underwater Hyrule from Wind Waker. In my opinion, it's just a large island that Link, Tetra, and co. found while travelling and decided to inhabit. The races Link had met on his adventures adventually migrated to New Hyrule, and it grew to be the land it is in ST.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Spirit Tracks takes place about 100 years after PH. This was stated in an interview and is backed up by in-game evidence:
an Anouki said:
It's said that our kingdom
was established about a
hundred years ago...
But I hear that the Spirit
Tracks are even older than
the kingdom.
And did you know that they
all meet at the Tower of
Spirits that's nearby?
It's all very mysterious,
don't you think?
It was only established 100 years ago, and the spirit tracks existed even longer than that. By extention, so did the original settlers:
Niko said:
This is a tale from long
ago. It's the tale of the
first settlers of this land.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

But that era of peace soon
came to an end.

The spirits of good had no
choice but to face him in
battle.

Finally, the spirits subdued
the Demon King, though
they could not destroy him.
Their powers were greatly
depleted.

They built shackles to
imprison him, and a tower
that acted as a lock.
These shackles cover the
land to this day.

Suddenly bereft of both
demons and spirits, this
land was entrusted to us.
So the original settlers experienced the Spirit War and the laying down of the tracks, and then sometime later Hyrule was founded.
Zelda said:
This Spirit Flute is a prized
family heirloom.
It's been handed down for
generations.
It originally belonged to one
of my ancestors,
the one who founded this
kingdom.
It is my greatest treasure
of all.
The ancestor she refers to here is Tetra. This is made obvious through the large stained-glass portrait in the castle, as well as the appearance of Niko and Linebeck III (and to some extent Alfonzo, who may be a descendant of one of the original crew).

So there you have it. Tetra founded the kingdom 100 years before ST, therefore it isn't the same Hyrule in WW.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
If you read the text in Nico's story, you learn that it's a completely different land. It was given to Tetra and the crew upon arrival (for some reason we don't really know). It was named Hyrule in honor of the land that was buried beneath the Great Sea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom