• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Classic Games Require Classic Consoles

Zaeker

Overlord of Userbars
Am I the only one left who plays their Gameboy Color/Original games on they're Gameboy Color/Original instead of a Gameboy Advance just for that nostalgic feel?

Playing a classic game on it's original console just takes you back...

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I do if I have them. But sadly, they just don't last forever. It'd be great if they did, but they don't. Hardware fails. And getting a replacement isn't much of a help because they're used too and will fail soon as well. Eventually you just have to move on, and hope they get ported to new systems. My old Game Boys don't work anymore, just my SP. My DS is kind of on its last leg too, so gotta switch to the 3DS. My N64 failed, so I have to rely on ports. My Genesis died on my ages ago, I wasn't able to play those games again until recently when I got most of them on a 360 port.

But I do think they need controls at least similar to what they originally had. Not... you know, something drastically different. Which is becoming more and more rare these days. But what choice do you have? Hardware doesn't last forever.

that's not entirely true, my Sega Genisis still works just as well as it did when i first got it, my N64 as well

Zaeker

Overlord of Userbars
Although hardware doesn't last forever, the Gameboy console lineup is a very durable one! My SP has lasted me since the month they were released, and let me tell you, that thing has gotten a TON of use! As for my Gameboy Color, its lasted me for about 3 years and is still working with no dead pixels! My Gameboy Original has been completely disassembled and reassembled twice and still works like a charm. And with the extremely low prices for used classic consoles nowadays, even if one does break, you just buy another for $5! :D

I buy old consoles just to play specific games on them... Heck, I even buy them just to have 'em! ;)

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
I'll always prefer using the original consoles over things like virtual console and emulators. My oldest system, my Gameboy color, (our original gameboy is long lost) is on its way out, and has been failing me as of late :( But even if it was working properly, I'd probably still opt to play my GBC games on my Advance SP because of the backlighting. I have no idea how I played without it as a kid! I think I had one of those worm-lights, but that's lost too, so trying to play the oldies in my dimly-lit room without backlighting is pretty challenging.

My N64 is still kicking *knock on wood!* and I've been playing it more than ever! I have a couple Wii virtual console games like Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and the original Mario Bros- both of which I have played on their respective original consoles that friends owned at some point, and it just isn't as satisfying playing those games on the Wii...As a result, I'm totally not a fan of buying N64 games for the VC, I'd rather hunt down the cartridge. The only exception is my purchase of the Zelda Master collection for Gamecube. For the most part, I really like playing the games on their original consoles, and I'll gladly go out of my way to do so.

amaterasu

Writer
I like old systems better as well. Mainly because you can't really do much to screw up a cartrige. Disks are way too fragile. Most of my cousin's PS2 Disks suck, and it's rare that I can play more than 10 minutes, unless i play guitar hero 2

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I like old systems better as well. Mainly because you can't really do much to screw up a cartrige. Disks are way too fragile. Most of my cousin's PS2 Disks suck, and it's rare that I can play more than 10 minutes, unless i play guitar hero 2
There's talk that maybe in the game generation after the next one that they'll all switch back to cartridges because flash memory has already outpaced what disks could ever hold. They're just waiting for it to be affordable. The previous generation, the one with the GameCube, already had 3D like we have now. In fact the GameCube was fully capable of creating the same 3D effect as the 3DS has, though only Luigi's Mansion had it programmed into it. The only problem is that the display for it was too expensive then. It wasn't until a game generation later that it was cheap enough to make the 3DS practical.

So just wait a generation until flash memory is cheap enough, then we'll go back to cartridges. Gone will be the days of games that are on three disks. In fact for all we know they'll introduce it midway through this next one.

amaterasu

Writer
going back to cartriges would just make my day. I mean sure they're harder to store cuz their bigger, but they're more durrible and like i said, the only way to really screw them up is to put them in water or somthing like that. you can't really scratch a cartrige.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
going back to cartriges would just make my day. I mean sure they're harder to store cuz their bigger, but they're more durrible and like i said, the only way to really screw them up is to put them in water or somthing like that. you can't really scratch a cartrige.
Actually, flash memory has proven to be very hard to damage. I've heard of extreme tests and no matter what they did they could still retrieve the data from it. So anything you realistically can do to a flash memory cart is never going to damage it. These flash carts are not the same things that were used in the N64 and earlier. That was a different, less stable, less dense memory that required a battery to save data. Not so with flash memory.

hm, the return of cartrages eh? i always loved cartrages better anyway, they have their own memory built in and you don't have to use a game case to keep them from getting scratched, and this would especially help for those numerous occasions where you want to bring a game over to a friend's house you can just stick he cartrage in your pocket or something

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
The controlls can mess things up at occasions. It is easy to notice that there is a master plan behind the development of the consoles and their controlls. The feeling is therefore not the same when playing a game on a different system and the experience is not optimal. But still I think it is great that the new generation of gamers get the chance to play classic titles!

Phantom Zelda

Mostly Harmless
Yeah I like to play the old games on their respective consoles but sadly as of now I don't have any of the consoles. I might pick an N64 up this summer to add to my collection but I really don't know how expensive they are. But anyway I really don't like the Virtual Console (I like the idea, not playing on it) but right now I really don't have any other way to play old games :(

i loved the designs of the classic game consoles, they're so much more creative than the genaric pizza box shape consoles we have today, yea they were of a similar shape but they had something highlighted to them, the Sega Genisis' 16-bit logo on the console for example, i always loved that, it's sweet and straight to the point

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
As far as old consoles go, I'd rather not hunt down an old cartridge, be it by buying it through the Virtual Console or downloading a ROM and playing on an emulator. It's more cost effective, it's more space effective (I've really been struggling in terms of space for games lately), and it lasts longer.

The big exception is PS1 games which have horrible emulators (any emulator that doesn't just automatically run is horrible) and, quite frankly, I don't have access to, say, the Playstation Network Store or whatever it is to get classic PS1 games, so I'm forced to hunt down the discs.

As far as the return to cartridges go, I would love that. Cartridges are so durable, whereas discs will die at the faintest of scratches. And cartridges only die when it gets pounded into a fine paste. Less space efficient, but still, durability > storage in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom