• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Having Link As the "link" Between the Player and the Game Really Necessary?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I understand and accept that Link is meant to house the player's personality, and that the player get's to decide what Link's personality should be.

I just think it's weird.

In my personal opinion, projecting yourself unto Link and imagining you're in his shoes, so to speak, and giving him your own name, is juvenile, and is for the mentally distraught and/or the emotionally insecure. I just can't imagine anyone doing that unless they have very low self-esteem.

But that's just me.

I've been a huge Zelda fan for many a year now, and I can't recall ever giving Link my own name. Just Link. Or other names I like, like Alphonse or Azure. Or Saga, mostly. But never my name, Zak. And I don't plan to. Ever. But that's not the point.

The point is, I've always thought of The Legend of Zelda as an epic story, not a role-playing game for people who need to escape the reality of their insecurities. I know many people believe that this is the way Link should be, because it's sort of like a tradition to give Link a limited personality. And there are others like me who think Link should be just as much a character as everyone else in the game. What are some of your thoughts? Do you agree? Disagree? Either way, go ahead and post it.

I see your point in this and totally understand you reasoning, but I really like the personalization of your own name. And also if you look at the reality of this, the link's are reincarnations and the chances of them being the same name are pretty slim.

I definitely agree, I always named him Link and NEVER anything else. For some reason i never believed that the reason they named him Link is to have a "link" between the game and player. If they truly wanted a link they wouldn't give him a name and just let the player name him. I love the name Link and wouldn't even think of renaming him.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Just to clarify something... When I said "mentally distraught", I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. Or anyone at all actually. Those are just my views, and I do not hold it against anyone who feels differently that what I expressed.

Just thought I'd point that out to avoid any future misunderstandings. I would like my rep back please!!!

Last edited:

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
I agree with you Azure Sage I just don't understand how someone could project themselfs into Link's shoes. I have always named Link, "Link" I once tried to name Link my name, Cody and I couldn't press the ok button, my mind wouldn't let me. I'm honestly all for giving Link a personallity. I wish nintendo would do it.

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
Actually, the Links may not be reincarnations, but (most of them) are different people. Also, they did name him Link to be a Link between the player. Originally, his name was going to be Christos after Miyamoto's grandfather, I think. I am all for Link having a personality too, and I really wish they'd stuck with his original name.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
While I've always given Link my own name, I do it because that's what I do with every game where I have to name something (That, and the first time I played OoT, I didn't realise what you named the file would determine his name). That said, I agree. I've never thought about myself in Link's shoes/boots. I've always seen him as his own person, with his own personality. If he had my personality, he wouldn't have done a lot of the things that we see him do in the games. :P

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
When I first played Zelda (Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks) I did re-name Link because I didn't really understand that Link was the character...I just thought he represented me. But because he is a boy I gave him a name like Eddie or something. Now...I don't really re-name Link...it seems a bit weird and I feel like I am stealing Link's identity :xd: I just find it really strange now. And when the characters in the game call you your nickname and not Link, it doesn't seem right to me anymore.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
All the Links are reincarnations. I just name them Link because 1. I'm a girl and 2. I've always associated him with "Link" and can't think of him as anything else.

well correct me if i'm wrong but they are supposed to be descendances of eachother so it kinda shouldn't matter what the names are, though Nintendo seems to want us to keep it at Link considering that's what they caall him in the Smash Bros. games and in Soul Calibur 2

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Understandably enough, right? I'm honestly not sure if they're all descedants, because if all the Zeldas and Links keep having kids together than it's incest! See previous reply.

Understandably enough, right? I'm honestly not sure if they're all descedants, because if all the Zeldas and Links keep having kids together than it's incest! See previous reply.

that's actually debatable, Link and Zelda could be descended to a shrine from the gods and have became adopted and lived so long without truely knowing eachother, i just keep thinking they're in the same family because if you look at them they have a resemblence to eachother, in almost every game they have similar facial features as well as the same hair in most games

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom