• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Reasons Why I Dont Like Majoras Mask

jack546

The chosen one
the name seems a litle misleading i like majoras mask but there are certian things i dont like about majoras mask

#1 the story
i know im only eleven i felt the story was dark too dark the aspect of the moon falling on termina in three days is kinda creepy but a great idea

#2 the dungeons
there were only four dungeons what? this game has too little dugeon time and the bosses were so easy the mini bosses were harder

#3the time system
the time system was so annoying i could play zelda for hours on end but majoras mask not so mutch when i play mm i only play three days in one sitting

if you agree with me on theese theories please post

Last edited:

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
Well, when you think about it, if it didn't have those it would be a clone of Ocarina of Time, and we wouldn't want that would we? The lack of dungeons is made up for by the amount of minigames and side quests though, so thats ok :3

The story was great. Not just the main plot of the game, but being able to interact with so many people and seeing how their lives were, the problems they were facing, and how they were taking the moon about to fall on them. When it comes to character interaction and development, Majora's Mask is untouched by any other Zelda game to date.

And like SW said above, it seems like you are comparing this game way too much to OoT. I'd say 70% or more of Majora's Mask is sidequests, but they are usually fun sidequests that take you deep into the lives of various people, and I know its just an opinion of what kind of gamer I am, but I would much rather have deep character development and spend a lot of time running around and exploring the overworld than setting in dungeons all day.

G

Glorian

The story was great. Not just the main plot of the game, but being able to interact with so many people and seeing how their lives were, the problems they were facing, and how they were taking the moon about to fall on them. When it comes to character interaction and development, Majora's Mask is untouched by any other Zelda game to date.

And like SW said above, it seems like you are comparing this game way too much to OoT. I'd say 70% or more of Majora's Mask is sidequests, but they are usually fun sidequests that take you deep into the lives of various people, and I know its just an opinion of what kind of gamer I am, but I would much rather have deep character development and spend a lot of time running around and exploring the overworld than setting in dungeons all day.
I completely agree, that's one of the things I didn't like about OoT. You did the dungeons, and had a few slight conversations. There wasn't anyone you could really get to know. Link maintained his Courage by venturing out and helping people, Power by showing his strength, and persistence to help people. While Wisdom, to know where to back off from situations, well. Not at the beginning of the game, but who wouldn't act like that. If some random Imp stole my legendary Ocarina and stole my horse, I'd be flipping B's back and forth.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I don't mind that there're four dungeons instead of OoT's eight. The sidequests and characters make up for that, and they're definitely better than OoT's sidequests. I can agree it makes MM unique.
The time system doesn't bother me at all. I even think it makes the game more fun because you can figure out how to be more efficient.
MM's saving system does bother me, though, especially the owl statues (I don't remember how many times I lost progress because of those accursed things). Why fix something that isn't broken?

personally, i agree with you. (IMO) the time cycle sucked, the dungeons sucked, and the story wasn't very deep.the game could have denounced these things without being an Oot clone. it could have done this by focusing on the masks, new story, and new location. Oot established the 3D zelda style, so being a lot like it wouldn't have been a bad thing. when this game came out, people were expecting an Oot-like adventure. the reason people were didn't like it as much is because it changed too much. you can still have an Oot style adventure without being a clone, just look at TP.

P.S. the save system sucked too.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I agree with you, as Majora's Mask wasn't my favorite zelda. The time cycle didn't bother me too much, but there weren't enough dungeons, and that what I like about a zelda game.

G

Glorian

Exactly for these three reasons I LOVE Majoras Mask :)
I like them too, however. I didn't like the aspect of four super long levels, with difficult bosses. I can honestly say I liked OoT's levels more, but I liked MM's side-quests, and story line more. I feel that they tried to integrate both in TP, and did a decent job, but there's always room for improvement. I'm REALLY hoping SS will keep a good balance of both. And while I'm on that topic, I really don't like Link's face in Skyward Sword, I was hoping for a TP's Link, just a tad more mature. But instead got horribly disappointed.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
You know, I tried playing Majora's Mask when I was...10? 11? Back when it first came out.
When I first tried it, I didn't really like it at all. The time cycle confused me and I didn't understand a lot of it.
But, after some years passed I tried playing it again when I was 19, and I loved every second of it!
I don't know, maybe it's just something that you appericiate with time, but right now it stands as my favorite LoZ game because of how different and meaningful it is.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the gameplay (being able to change races?! Awesome!), but my favorite thing was the story.
People always say that MM was too short, but that's because they didn't take the time to get every single mask. That's a major part of the game and story in general; watching how these people live out their last 3 days and how they react to the apocalypse. Each person in that game has their own story, that's part of what makes it great. The story doesn't only revolve around Link, it's about everyone in the game. If you get all masks, then you get to know these people personally, and I think that gives Link more purpose, more of a reason to fight and save the world; not for himself, but for the people.
That's how I feel anyway. Disagree if you link; this is just my opinion.

ok lets see
#1 the story alright this is your own personal opion so ill just leave but i thiink the story is great games usually are like a normal movie but majoras mask is more like a book it hits your emotions i rather have a game that doesnt feel like a game. ask anyone on the street or anywhere what is a game and theyll say it rotes your brain.lol but majorasmask teaches you more things than any game i can think of.but all zela games yes teaches you stuff XD but mm teaches you the most because of its emotional impact

#2the dungeons SERIOUSLY have you played this game before. the bosses may have been fairly easy but if you want to complain about easy bosses you shouldve made this for tp.both dungeons and bosses were VERY UNIQUE.as for the lack of amount of dungeons.just like the first post on here there were lots of long sidequests and minigames and who really wants to go into a new world and play a story and leave i rather explore and do something besides go from here to there just to complete the game i rather take my time on it.

#3the time system alright tell me one game that has a time system like mm.how can you not like the time system most ppl think its annoying cause they dont no how to use it right.what i mean is every three days the world is different depending on what you do it also feels like you have to do somethingbecause of the limit.

K

KT the cat

majora is beast! Seriously, i loved being able to travel back in time, like having a clean slate. u r able to get so many items n the game as well. I no that this is ur personal opinion, but i think majora wuz one of da best zelda games evr.

McBlizzy

Happy Mask Salesgirl
personally, i agree with you. (IMO) the time cycle sucked, the dungeons sucked, and the story wasn't very deep.the game could have denounced these things without being an Oot clone. it could have done this by focusing on the masks, new story, and new location. Oot established the 3D zelda style, so being a lot like it wouldn't have been a bad thing. when this game came out, people were expecting an Oot-like adventure. the reason people were didn't like it as much is because it changed too much. you can still have an Oot style adventure without being a clone, just look at TP.

P.S. the save system sucked too.

Oh I beg to differ,

As majora'smagic posted before, the dungeons did not suck. They were probably the most complex dungeons of any 3D Zelda game! With the Great Bay Temple and the Stone Tower you had 2 dungeons in one! THAT must have taken more planning than OOT's Water Temple. They were also unique in the sense they were designed for a different form of Link, and in Stone Tower you had to use all three forms of Link. You said the dungeons suck, you haven't told us why you think they suck.

Yes, I agree the time sequence was annoying, but you can get around that by slowing time by playing the song of time backwards. But the time sequence is also a unique feature that's never been introduced in any Zelda game before, and a good challenge for veteran players.

The storyline, how do you think it sucked? The world is about to be crushed by a giant moon! Each region of the land had it's own deep storyline as well!
The Swamp was plagued with poisonous waters
The Mountain was frozen in an eternal winter
The Ocean was becoming murky and terrorized by pirates
The Canyon fell to petty battles of greed and the dead still couldn't rest
Kafei was turned into a child and his wedding mask was stolen
There were multiple story lines each proposing their own problems and each got more complex through out the game.

And a game based off OOT like TP would probably not have been welcomed... How you you feel if SS was similar to TP which is similar to OOT? We JUST had a game with these certain elements, we don't want a "new" game exactly the same, that would just be upsetting. (Honestly, TP was a bit of a letdown in the sense the game was very easy, kept with the Forest, Fire, Water sequence and didn't even have elemental arrows D= )

What you're saying could be legit but you didn't provide us with any reasons supporting what you're saying and why.

P.S. Yes, the saving was very inconvenient.

I think it's bad that we haven't seen another game like Majora's Mask, everything after it has had way too many dungeons that get old after a awhile, and the dark story was great even though there needs to be a balance between light and dark games, we've only really had two dark games, and MM does not have a time limit as long as you play the song of time and save correctly.

@McBlizzy ok, i'll give you reasons

to be fair, the dungeons themselves weren't that bad, but there were a few problems, for example it got difficult and confusing too quickly, the first dungeon was probably one of the easiest i've ever played through, but during the 3rd one i needed a walkthrough. the only dungeon i really hated was the stone tower temple because of its difficulty. i probably should have used a word less harsh than "sucked" but i still didn't like them, they weren't really anything special.

i stand by my statement about the time cycle. more than once, i found myself having to play the song of time in the middle of a dungeon and start everything over again. and they don't give you enough time to open your way to the later temples and do them all in one time cycle even with the inverted song of time. all i can say is thank god for those owl statues, but when i open up a dungeon, i want to beat it immediately, and the time stops me from doing that

i only said the story wasn't very deep, which i stand by. your only real objective is to free four giants, stop the moon from falling and beat majora. that's it. don't talk to me about the sidequests, they aren't a part of the main story and therefore aren't part of the story at all. the only reson the story even begins to seem deep is because (I feel) that theorists read too much into it.

i actually kinda want SS to take the Oot/TP approach. personally, i felt that TP was probably one of the greatest zelda games ever (i'll admit i'm a little biased seeing as how it was my first zelda game) for some people it would be a disappointment, but i'd love it that way. as i said before, zelda can do things differently that are cool, like the masks or (in SS's case) the controls.

at least we can both agree on the saving.was it really that hard to put a save button on the pause screen?

overall, i always thought that Mm was decent, but only decent. it's personally one of my least favorite zeldas. but that's only my opinion. one of the great things about such a great series is that we can all debate about which is the best :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom