• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Thread Inception Mafia

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 14134

If everyone commits suicide at the same time what happens?

Ryuken

Ace Adventurer/Truth Seeker
Alright, I'm gonna look at each Inception rule and give my own thoughts on them to see if I've understood them correctly. Correct me and/or point it out if I make a mistake or a contradiction. For convenience, DS means Dreamscape, with 1, 2, and 3 referring to the Dreamscape level.
  • It is the goal of the town to either kill all the mafia or reach the third dreamscape. It is the goal of the mafia to reach parity before either of those goals are met.
Simple enough. We either take out the Mafia before they kill us off, or...
  • At the beginning of every day phase, the game thread will advance into a new dreamscape. Day 1 takes place in the real world, and the first dreamscape will be entered at the start of Day 2.
...we reach Day 4. Since each Day after D1 takes the players to a new Dreamscape level, the sequence follows as such: D2= DS1, D3= DS2, and D4= DS3.
  • Every dreamscape has a person called a "Dreamer". They act as a pseudo-Dreaming God within their dreamscape. The dreamer is chosen at random and will be notified if they become such.
This rule is a bit confusing since the explanation for what a Dreamer can do is pretty vague. Do Dreamers gain extra powers for their Dreamscape? If so, what are they?
I assume "notified" means they'll be messaged privately through PMs and not announced.
  • Dreamers will be members of the town, unless the Dreaming mechanism is affected by outside forces.
Only townies will be randomly selected to be a Dreamer. The "outside forces" bit leads me to believe there's a role that can target a person and make them a Dreamer, even if they're Mafia. Whether that role belongs to Town, Mafia, or Third-Party could be anyone's guess.
  • A person can not be a Dreamer for multiple Dreamscapes at once.
Each Dreamscape has only 1 Dreamer. Once we advance to the next Dreamscape, the previous Dreamer of that Dreamscape loses their title, and another randomly selected/targeted player gains it.
  • Deaths within a dreamscape are not final. If such a thing happens, the player will simply move to the previous level of the dreamscape.
I take it this is why the description for this list is worded the way it is:
Basically, Dreamscapes allow the players to survive X lynch or X nightkill (X= level of Dreamscape). If each day progressed like a Standard Mafia game, that would make it heavily unbalanced and pretty difficult for the Mafia to win considering they're on a time limit to kill Town. This isn't a Standard Mafia game, obviously, so it's possible all members of the Mafia have powers specific to this game.
  • If a player dies and is for some reason unable to move to the previous level, they will be sent to Limbo, and effectively taken out of the game.
In other words, there seems to be a role out there that can target a player, preventing them from being sent to the previous level and effectively causing them to die should they be lynched or night-killed. This is most likely a Mafia role considering I don't see how Town would benefit from using it, and this Dreaming mechanic (specifically, the time limit) is pretty stacked against Mafia as it is.
  • If a player dies within the first layer of the Dreamscape, they return to the real world.
This puts the player in danger of dying should they be lynched or night-killed in the real world.
  • Modkills will always be full kills, no matter what level the player is on.
Don't name claim, folks. There's no getting around that rule.
  • If a Dreamer is killed within their Dreamscape, their Dreamscape collapses in on itself, and anyone in that dreamscape or a previous one is sent to the next open Dreamscape.
Another vague explanation. Does this mean that Dreamscape no longer exists for the rest of the game? And does that also mean the Dreamer is taken out of the game if they are lynched or night-killed?
I.e. players are in D1 (AKA the real world), DS1, and DS2. The Dreamer in DS1 is lynched or night-killed, so they get taken out of the game, and the players in both D1 AND DS1 are taken to DS2.
  • If players are on multiple Dreamscapes at once, Dreamscapes that are not of the highest level will be hosted on a Quicktopic, PMed to those players.
This- along with another rule- is why we have two mods, it seems. Multiple discussions on different Dreamscapes can happen at the same time. I'd hate to be that one lonely player who's still on DS1 while the rest are on DS2...
  • Lynches can take place on every Dreamscape with players. However, the lynchee must be conscious on the Dreamscape they're lynched on.
There seems to be a role or modifier that can make a player "unconscious," preventing them from being lynched in that Dreamscape. Also, @Bok Chan Sama , when you asked that question to Deku about multiple lynches, were you referring to the fact that we can lynch people, even if they're on different Dreamscapes, or that we can lynch more than once?
  • Nightkills can also happen on multiple Dreamscapes. Unlike with lynches, sedated players are allowed to be Nightkilled.
Ah, so there is in fact a role that targets players, making them unconscious. Not sure if it's Town, Mafia, or Third-Party. Just like my question on lynches, does this mean players can be night-killed, even if they're on a different Dreamscape?
  • It is requested that players in no way read or interact with what happens on Dreamscapes they are not on.
This is the other rule I was talking about earlier. An honor system is in effect this game, so don't be that one guy the mods have to think twice about.
  • Dreamscapes will start out synchronized with the previous level. However, extensions or majority can cause them to become unlinked.
For example, on Day 3, players can be on DS2 while other players are in D1 (the real world). I think that's what this rule means, if I'm understanding it correctly.

Tell me what you guys think about my thoughts on each rule and whether or not I'm under a misconception. For now, I'm going to do what I always do...

Unvote
Vote: No Lynch

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
...we reach Day 4. Since each Day after D1 takes the players to a new Dreamscape level, the sequence follows as such: D2= DS1, D3= DS2, and D4= DS3.

I was actually wondering about this. It seems like it'd be kinda easy to just reach D4 to win. So I'm wondering if all living townies need to reach the final level for town to win. So there could be townies on dreamscape 1 or 2 when others reach dreamscape 3 on D4. So that wouldn't end the game if it's the way I'm thinking.

This rule is a bit confusing since the explanation for what a Dreamer can do is pretty vague. Do Dreamers gain extra powers for their Dreamscape? If so, what are they?

It says they're like a Dreaming God, which is a mafia role. Dreaming Gods usually have a list of actions they can take, but they don't know what any of the actions do. So I assume the Dreamers will have extra powers in their Dreamscapes.

Each Dreamscape has only 1 Dreamer. Once we advance to the next Dreamscape, the previous Dreamer of that Dreamscape loses their title, and another randomly selected/targeted player gains it.

I don't think that the previous Dreamers lose their titles, because people can be in multiple dreamscapes at once.

In other words, there seems to be a role out there that can target a player, preventing them from being sent to the previous level and effectively causing them to die should they be lynched or night-killed. This is most likely a Mafia role considering I don't see how Town would benefit from using it, and this Dreaming mechanic (specifically, the time limit) is pretty stacked against Mafia as it is.

I dunno if there's a role specifically that can prevent others from being sent to the previous level. I was interpreting that rule as being, if a Dreamer is killed and their dreamscape collapses, then the dreamscape before that essentially becomes like the real world. Where one lynch will kill someone, since they wouldn't be able to go to the previous dreamscape and would instead be in Limbo.

Ryuken

Unvote
Vote: Ryuken

Self-voting is a scumtell.
Seems like you have a personal vendetta against me considering you're ignoring your stance on Ragnarokio and karu's clearly suspicious "academic life" to pursue me.
Changing your RVS vote too quickly is a scumtell. :eyes:
It says they're like a Dreaming God, which is a mafia role. Dreaming Gods usually have a list of actions they can take, but they don't know what any of the actions do. So I assume the Dreamers will have extra powers in their Dreamscapes.
If Dreaming God is a Mafia role as you say it is (which makes me suspicious of you considering the OP doesn't elaborate on it at all), why are Townies the only players randomly selected for it?
I don't think that the previous Dreamers lose their titles, because people can be in multiple dreamscapes at once.
I dunno if there's a role specifically that can prevent others from being sent to the previous level. I was interpreting that rule as being, if a Dreamer is killed and their dreamscape collapses, then the dreamscape before that essentially becomes like the real world. Where one lynch will kill someone, since they wouldn't be able to go to the previous dreamscape and would instead be in Limbo.
I'm starting to see the mental image you have formed for this game, which makes more sense than what I have in mind. This is why I asked what the rule meant about a Dreamer being "killed" and the Dreamscape "collapsing in on itself."

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
If Dreaming God is a Mafia role as you say it is (which makes me suspicious of you considering the OP doesn't elaborate on it at all), why are Townies the only players randomly selected for it?

I didn't mean it's a mafia aligned role, I meant it's a role used in mafia games. I probably should have worded that better. I was just trying to explain what the role typically did, but have no clue how exactly it's used in this game. Especially as they said it's a pseudo-Dreaming God. SO I'm guessing it won't be the typical Dreaming God role.

Ryuken

I didn't mean it's a mafia aligned role, I meant it's a role used in mafia games. I probably should have worded that better. I was just trying to explain what the role typically did, but have no clue how exactly it's used in this game. Especially as they said it's a pseudo-Dreaming God. SO I'm guessing it won't be the typical Dreaming God role.
Oh, whoops. Thanks for clearing that up. I've never played in a setup with them before, so I thought they were a unique role to this game. :fpalm:

funnier6

Courage~
This is interesting to me. It sounds like we can't die in a dream unless certain conditions are met. What do you guys think about a day one lynch based on this? Do you think it would be safer to hold until day two when we have some insurance on it?
I don’t think so, you seem to be saying it would risk killing town to lynch today but that’s always a risk and this might be our one chance in a while to get a lynch where someone actually dies. Especially since we have a role claim available I don’t really see what a problem is since somebody important in a bad position could just claim. Idek what we’d base the day two lynch off of if we don’t lynch today.
This game hasn't even really started and I'm already confused. Maybe it's because I haven't seen Inception though.

Hm, a no-lynch could be useful based on that. Especially considering it will probably take a bit for everyone to even understand everything about the game. I think there could be some other benefits to no-lynching today, but I'm going to have to read over the rules a few more times to see if I'm figuring everything out right.

Also, considering we only have 48 hour days and day 1 is usually pretty inactive anyways, there's not a great chance of finding scum.
What exactly are those other benefits? How is the likelihood of finding scum on day one in this game worse than any other game?

Anyway,

Unvote

Vote: Rubik

Who will join me?! (Quite serious)

karu

Panamaniac
I was going to call out Rubik for calling my school work scummy, but the game got serious real quick.

I understand how toplay this game for the most part after reading everyone else's interpretation.

Vote: No Lynch

I think it's safer and more beneficial for town to wait till we're in the dreamscape and not the real world, seeing as if you're lynched in the dreamscape you basically just get levelled down. But I must ask, if you're lynched and are on a dreamscape, does your role get revealed?

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
But I must ask, if you're lynched and are on a dreamscape, does your role get revealed?
No. Role reveal doesnt come until death.

To fix some misinterpretations:
If we have players on DS1 and DS2 and the DS1 dreamer dies, both DS1 and DS2 collapse and all players return to the real world
Also, sedated players are simply players that are in a deeper dreamscape. If youre in DS1, anyone in DS2 is considered sedated.

Ryuken

No. Role reveal doesnt come until death.

To fix some misinterpretations:
If we have players on DS1 and DS2 and the DS1 dreamer dies, both DS1 and DS2 collapse and all players return to the real world
Also, sedated players are simply players that are in a deeper dreamscape. If youre in DS1, anyone in DS2 is considered sedated.
That clears so much up. Thank you.
So it's imperative that whoever the dreamer of each dreamscape is, we keep them alive, or else we'll have to start at the very beginning. Also, I assume claiming Dreamer is on the same level as a role claim, and it's an extremely obvious one to claim.
Sedated players cannot be lynched, only night-killed, based on those two rules. MEANING, players can only lynch a person that is on the SAME Dreamscape as them, while nightkills can be carried out on players in DIFFERENT dreamscapes.
Sorry if I sound like a broken record, I just want to make sure everyone is on the same page.
I don’t think so, you seem to be saying it would risk killing town to lynch today but that’s always a risk and this might be our one chance in a while to get a lynch where someone actually dies. Especially since we have a role claim available I don’t really see what a problem is since somebody important in a bad position could just claim. Idek what we’d base the day two lynch off of if we don’t lynch today.

What exactly are those other benefits? How is the likelihood of finding scum on day one in this game worse than any other game?

Anyway,

Unvote

Who will join me?! (Quite serious)
I'm a bit hesitant to join you, but you make a good point. Another thing: considering no Dreamer is in play for this day, we don't have to worry about those kind of role claims.

Unvote

His contradictory RVS meme vote is a scumtell, anyway. :shrugs:

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer

One reason is like I said before. We only have 48 hour days, and usually the days are longer allowing more time for someone to slip up on day 1. Granted that's not a super strong reason.

Tbh, I can't remember what the benefit I was thinking of at that moment was. I was trying to figure out all the rules and possibilities with those rules, and I thought of and disregarded so many ideas because I figured out that they wouldn't work. Haha.

However, I do think that in a game like this it could be better to gather as much info as we can n1. We have no clue what kinds of roles are in this game, and I'm assuming there are going to be quite a few unique abilities. Sure we do have our one roleclaim, but what happens if we start to lynch one townie, they claim, and then the next person we try to lynch is town too? Not only will they not be able to claim, but we'll probably lynch them and lose a townie plus mafia will have info on one role going into the night. I know that's a possibility on any day, but at least going into day 2 people will have had chances to use their roles and gather info instead of going off of nothing at all. Not to mention, mafia could probably fake claim kinda easy in this game due to unconventional roles.

Plus, if we don't lynch a mafia member today and feel like we have a good lead tomorrow we can lynch them sending them back to the real world. Then maybe a few townies could suicide and have majority to lynch the mafia member on that level, while the next level looks for scum to lynch on their level. I'm not entirely sure if that's a great plan because it's tough to figure certain things out with the mechanics of this game. But the point is, I feel like it's beneficial to have as many townies as we can going into day 2 to use the dreamscape levels to the best of our advantage.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
This is very interesting. I vote we should get a lynch just to get a feel for this game better. We are all clearly still wrapping our heads around this. After school, I'll say who I think is the best bet

funnier6

Courage~
One reason is like I said before. We only have 48 hour days, and usually the days are longer allowing more time for someone to slip up on day 1. Granted that's not a super strong reason.

Tbh, I can't remember what the benefit I was thinking of at that moment was. I was trying to figure out all the rules and possibilities with those rules, and I thought of and disregarded so many ideas because I figured out that they wouldn't work. Haha.

However, I do think that in a game like this it could be better to gather as much info as we can n1. We have no clue what kinds of roles are in this game, and I'm assuming there are going to be quite a few unique abilities. Sure we do have our one roleclaim, but what happens if we start to lynch one townie, they claim, and then the next person we try to lynch is town too? Not only will they not be able to claim, but we'll probably lynch them and lose a townie plus mafia will have info on one role going into the night. I know that's a possibility on any day, but at least going into day 2 people will have had chances to use their roles and gather info instead of going off of nothing at all. Not to mention, mafia could probably fake claim kinda easy in this game due to unconventional roles.

Plus, if we don't lynch a mafia member today and feel like we have a good lead tomorrow we can lynch them sending them back to the real world. Then maybe a few townies could suicide and have majority to lynch the mafia member on that level, while the next level looks for scum to lynch on their level. I'm not entirely sure if that's a great plan because it's tough to figure certain things out with the mechanics of this game. But the point is, I feel like it's beneficial to have as many townies as we can going into day 2 to use the dreamscape levels to the best of our advantage.
If that happens we get still get better odds, and even then we still have counterclaims and soft claims. @DekuNut counterclaims don’t count toward the limit right? You know relying on night actions simply isn’t going to get us anywhere as even if somebody does get good info we won’t have anything to talk about unless they reveal it and then mafia will know too and I just don’t like that course of action.

I don’t really think so, my role is rather conventional so I would think at least most of the others are conventional as well. Anyway suiciding to go back to the real world sounds risky to begin with since apparently we can’t be sure if we’re in reality or not and because you can’t just assume the town will go back and take care of it since I don’t think we’d be allowed to know what’s going on and all kinds of scenarios could happen we wouldn’t know about such as only the mafia going back and majing town etc etc. (Man this game is complex!) I really really think we should try to solve as much as possible through discussion and let the roles do their thing without relying on them, we don’t need their info to win the game after all. Really I think sticking to what we know is best, going deeper into the dream relying on powers we don’t understand to do stuff we probably won’t understand to tell us stuff we might not understand instead of using the good old fashioned way I feel will leave us like fish out of water and not do things ourselves during the day phases. My point is “Let’s rely on night actions” just does not sound right to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom