• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild One thing I'm concerned about.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
If they do it, then I'm not playing Breath of the Wild at all. Nor will I play any new Nintendo titles post-announcement. Lock in place my current game line-up and **** Nintendo.

Wait, are you saying that you won't play it if they release it for both or just one?

Yes, but they will all be buying on the Switch, the system that BotW runs well on.

People have all but forgotten the Wii U at this point, because... Well. I mean. The SNES currently has more games coming to it than the Wii U.

Most people will buy BotW on the Switch, especially if the Switch hits that $250 price point.

Oh I see, I misread your previous post and thought you were talking about BotW copies sold in general :)

This is exactly why keeping the Wii U version a thing would just get in the way of the Switch and potentially hurt the Switch's success. Because people like Satan Claus will still want the Wii U version cause they don't want to waste money on another system just to get BotW.
The Switch hurt the Switch's success. My plan was to get the Wii U version, but I may eventually get a Switch a year or two after the fact and the Switch version of BotW then if it's not already dead. If there is no WiiU version, I'm not getting it. Just like how I didn't get a New 3DS to play SNES virtual console games. If Nintendo wants to play dirty to force sales, then kindly leave me out of it; I'm not going to enable them. Before they pulled N3DS exclusives, I may have gotten one eventually but now, no, I will never get one.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I don't think it would be a good idea for them to cancel the Wii U version. Nintendo has already upset a lot of their fanbase with the way they've treated the Wii U. If they cancel that version of the game, I think that would be the last straw for some of their customers, and they won't buy the game no matter what because they won't want to buy a Switch. Sure cancelling the Wii U version could help boost Switch sales, but I don't think it would be too significant of an increase, and in doing so, they could decrease the amount of BotW sales. They started development for the game on the Wii U and are practically finished with it, so they may as well release it.

Honestly it feels more and more like Nintendo treat their old consoles like they never existed.
The virtual console disagrees with you. . . well in a way. Nintendo to great their old hardware like they never existed. That's a good thing. Just move on. However the old games are totally respected by Nintendo. it's the old games, not the old consoles that people have fond memories of.

The Switch hurt the Switch's success. My plan was to get the Wii U version, but I may eventually get a Switch a year or two after the fact and the Switch version of BotW then if it's not already dead. If there is no WiiU version, I'm not getting it. Just like how I didn't get a New 3DS to play SNES virtual console games. If Nintendo wants to play dirty to force sales, then kindly leave me out of it; I'm not going to enable them. Before they pulled N3DS exclusives, I may have gotten one eventually but now, no, I will never get one.

You must really what Sony and MS are doing with their console upgrades also.

They started development for the game on the Wii U and are practically finished with it, so they may as well release it.
They will. It'll be a Twilight Princess. Released on both consoles. The only difference was there was no clear better version of TP. SOme liked the GC version, some liked the Wii version. BotW has a clear better version, the Switch Version.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
The virtual console disagrees with you. . . well in a way. Nintendo to great their old hardware like they never existed. That's a good thing. Just move on. However the old games are totally respected by Nintendo. it's the old games, not the old consoles that people have fond memories of.
You've deliberately overlooked the point of my post. They're very selective about what they port to VC, especially with popular (ie: some of their best selling) releases not making the cut, but this is a different topic entirely.

I'm not too good at expressing a point clearly/concisely so I apologize for that. The Wii-U's treatment throughout its lifespan looks like one big afterthought in favour of making titles for the 3DS/giving shared titles priority/better content (with the exception of Smash 4) for the most part. Nintendo seem far too eager to sweep the Wii-U under the rug and forget it ever existed. They haven't even bothered with 3 of their staple franchises and if they pull the plug on Zelda U, well Wii-U users who can't afford to upgrade have the diverse library of Star Fox, Mario and F̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶e̶m̶b̶l̶e̶m̶ ̶x̶ ̶b̶a̶y̶o̶n̶e̶t̶t̶a̶:̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶r̶ ̶b̶a̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ Smash 4 across 4 years of development to choose from.

Let's not even mention it was announced on the Wii-U years ago and most people who own a Wii-U probably purchased one because of Breath of the Wild in the first place.

You must really what Sony and MS are doing with their console upgrades also.
I can't really speak on Sony and Microsoft fans' behalves as I actually only own Nintendo systems, but the difference is Sony and Microsoft actually know how to market their games, and more importantly, their systems. Nintendo doesn't. Most people, up until its death, thought the WiiU was an upgrade akin to these upgrades for the Xbox and PS, just premature.This makes the treatment regarding the upgrades, kind of different from the Switch. Besides, the Switch isn't an upgrade. It's an entirely new system from the WiiU. And in my opinion it is executed very poorly and while it may have more power than the WiiU, it is horribly designed and I really do not have faith in its success and since I already lost a gamble with the WiiU why would I try again with an even ****tier hand dealt to me? It's a horrible trade-off.

I can't really speak on Sony and Microsoft fans' behalves as I actually only own Nintendo systems, but the difference is Sony and Microsoft actually know how to market their games, and more importantly, their systems.
Sony does, I agree. Sony did nothing great but also nothing wrong with the PS4. The PS3 on the other hand was quite the train wreck. MS on the other hand does not know how to market it's Xbox division well. The XB1 launch was a total mess. Not much has changed till now, MS still don't know how to market the XB1 and it's games well. The WiiU was marketed poorly but the previous Nintendo consoles (3DS included) were marketed quite well. It seems that Nintendo is learning from it's WiiU mistakes with the Switch.

You've deliberately overlooked the point of my post. They're very selective about what they port to VC, especially with popular (ie: some of their best selling) releases not making the cut, but this is a different topic entirely.
Yes it is a totally different topic but that's the whole idea. The VC is not every game, it's the greatest hits of the past consoles. Not all 3rd parties want some of their 3rd party games on the VC. For Nintendo made games however it s a little strange that some of the best 1st party games are not there. (Note well that the N64 and DS were the latest consoles in the VC. The Wii was played natively, not VC).

I'm not too good at expressing a point clearly/concisely so I apologize for that. The Wii-U's treatment throughout its lifespan looks like one big afterthought in favour of making titles for the 3DS/giving shared titles priority/better content (with the exception of Smash 4) for the most part. Nintendo seem far too eager to sweep the Wii-U under the rug and forget it ever existed. They haven't even bothered with 3 of their staple franchises and if they pull the plug on Zelda U, well Wii-U users who can't afford to upgrade have the diverse library of Star Fox, Mario and F̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶e̶m̶b̶l̶e̶m̶ ̶x̶ ̶b̶a̶y̶o̶n̶e̶t̶t̶a̶:̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶r̶ ̶b̶a̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ Smash 4 across 4 years of development to choose from.
The WiiU fans love their WiiU. I know, as I am one of them. I own a WiiU but I do not own a 3DS. The catch is the vast majority of Nintendo fans are 3DS fans who never owned a WiiU. To them the WiiU means nothing. Nintendo sweeping the WiiU under the carpet is probably the best thing Nintendo can do at this point. The WiiU is a PR disaster. It's a great console, with great games, but a large portion of the public just keep ****ting (unjustly) on the WiiU. Nintendo need to make a break from that and start fresh.

Let's not even mention it was announced on the Wii-U years ago and most people who own a Wii-U probably purchased one because of Breath of the Wild in the first place.
People who buy a console for as yet unreleased games are idiots. Hard but it's true. It's always better to wait till you get a release date (for the games) then buy the console. A console with no games you want (cause they are still all in development) is a console doing nothing, collecting dust. A waste of money. There was no games I wanted at the WiiU launch so I didn't buy the WiiU. I bought my WiiU about 1.5 years after launch. One bundle (the M3HU one) had a feww pro controller inside. That free pro controller got me to take the plunge. I bought NintendoLand on ebay for $20 and then just waited like 6 more months for games I actually really wanted to play to be released.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
The WiiU fans love their WiiU. I know, as I am one of them. I own a WiiU but I do not own a 3DS. The catch is the vast majority of Nintendo fans are 3DS fans who never owned a WiiU. To them the WiiU means nothing. Nintendo sweeping the WiiU under the carpet is probably the best thing Nintendo can do at this point. The WiiU is a PR disaster. It's a great console, with great games, but a large portion of the public just keep ****ting (unjustly) on the WiiU. Nintendo need to make a break from that and start fresh.
That's their own fault though, and it's completely justified. I can't name a single Wii-U title that launched before 2014 that was a major entry in one of Nintendo's flagship series, and even since then I could list them off the fingers of a single hand and have some to spare. If Nintendo can't pick up the slack of 3rd party developers being unwilling to develop for the GamePad then that's entirely on them.

People who buy a console for as yet unreleased games are idiots. Hard but it's true. It's always better to wait till you get a release date (for the games) then buy the console. A console with no games you want (cause they are still all in development) is a console doing nothing, collecting dust. A waste of money. There was no games I wanted at the WiiU launch so I didn't buy the WiiU. I bought my WiiU about 1.5 years after launch. One bundle (the M3HU one) had a feww pro controller inside. That free pro controller got me to take the plunge. I bought NintendoLand on ebay for $20 and then just waited like 6 more months for games I actually really wanted to play to be released.
Personally I have no regrets about buying my Wii-U; Mario Kart 8, Smash 4, Super Mario 3D world and Rayman Legends have easily given me hundreds of hours of fun. With that in mind, I can still see that Nintendo have been sloppy with their console support. Anybody can see this coming from miles away, but it won't change the fact it'll be the biggest letdown in gaming since Destiny's launch.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.
Thanks, I enjoy our discussions too.

That's their own fault though, and it's completely justified. I can't name a single Wii-U title that launched before 2014 that was a major entry in one of Nintendo's flagship series, and even since then I could list them off the fingers of a single hand and have some to spare. If Nintendo can't pick up the slack of 3rd party developers being unwilling to develop for the GamePad then that's entirely on them.
I do blame Nintendo for this. totally 100% their own fault. We both agree on this.

Personally I have no regrets about buying my Wii-U; Mario Kart 8, Smash 4, Super Mario 3D world and Rayman Legends have easily given me hundreds of hours of fun. With that in mind, I can still see that Nintendo have been sloppy with their console support. Anybody can see this coming from miles away, but it won't change the fact it'll be the biggest letdown in gaming since Destiny's launch.
It's no different to the XB1's launch. Both were a total trainwreck and both consoles never really picked up properly from that. At least Nintendo stuck it out and appeased the few fans who did still get s WiiU. MS didn't even do that with their XB1. I personally think the XB1 launch was slightly worse. Sony had it with the PS3 too but they learnt their lessons with the PS4. Will Nintendo learn their lessons with the Switch? I hope so but only time will tell.

Super Mario 3D World, tho
True but it was not the 3D collectathon that many wanted.

Both versions of BotW are set to release at the same time, on the same day. So this means anyone who doesn't have the money to buy a Switch will buy the Wii U version because they afford a Switch and don't want to wait until they could to get BotW. This will get in the Switch's way, causing a competition between the Wii U version and the Switch version. But not by much though. As the only reason why anyone would buy the Wii U version over the Switch version is if they can't afford a Switch and refuse to wait til they do to get BotW. So only on day 1, the Wii U version will sell more. Then after that, the Switch version will sell more, killing the Wii U version.

That is where you are wrong; it is or will not be a case of money but a case of principle for the vast majority, i'm sure of that

and very probably a lot of those people will buy a switch later on in it's life span, with or without BotW, that is of course then for each person individualy

not releasing it on the Wii U will harm nintendo more i think because of that matter of principle i mentionned before

This is exactly why keeping the Wii U version a thing would just get in the way of the Switch and potentially hurt the Switch's success. Because people like Satan Claus will still want the Wii U version cause they don't want to waste money on another system just to get BotW.

not a case of money but a case of principle, i know i repeat myself but principle will weigh out far more than money

Last edited by a moderator:

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
:fpalm: [sighs]

I don't think you people realize how much of a burden the Wii U version will be and/or why canceling the Wii U version is a logical and very beneficial business choice for Nintendo. You people just need to face the reality that Wii U failed and Nintendo doesn't want the Switch to fail too. The Switch is the only hope now of survival! There is no point on releasing another game for a system that is already dead weight on Nintendo's shoulders. Paper Mario Color Splash was the last game to release before production of the Wii U ended. The Wii U is officially dead! So, it is too late for BotW to make it on Wii U since releasing a game for a system that has been officially dead for months by then and has no new units being sold for that same length of time, is completely illogical! Especially the company making the game is going through money issues!

That said, Nintendo needs to focus on their now system for the sake of their future, not waste their time trying to please a bunch of whining fans who wanted the Wii U version that was promised to them. Don't mean to rub off offensive or anything, that's not at all my intention, but we have to face the reality that the Wii U is dead and the Wii U version being so inferior to the Switch version is what makes the Wii U version nothing but a weak pointless burden. I know it sucks to face that truth, I would love for Nintendo keep their promise and give us BotW as a Wii U exclusive game like it was supposed to be. But we have to accept the reality that sometimes plans change. And in the case, BotW just wasn't ready yet during the Wii U's time, not mention that BotW is too big of a game to run on the Wii U properly, hence the framerate issues.

So, it is for the best to push BotW onto the Switch as an exclusive for better and proper experience. Besides, getting the Wii U version and playing the Wii U version will only make people see the Switch version as the game they wanted. It'll only just be an even bigger middle finger to Wii U version desiring fans, convincing them that Nintendo doesn't care about them. It'll basically be like a laugh in the face to them! Releasing the Wii U version will only make the people who buy it want to cringe knowing that version they don't have is superior and much better than the one they do have! Especially to those who could not afford a Switch!

With that said, the people who buy the Wii U version, overtime, will either come to want the Switch version anyways, or worse, cringe! So there is literally no logical or moral point to release the Wii U version at this point. Pushing BotW onto the Switch as an exclusive will overtime motive people to want to save up money for the Switch and BotW. Especially the more they see of the Switch version and it is more beneficial for Nintendo than the Wii U version ever was. Which is why, I'm definitely getting the Switch and the Switch version of BotW because the Wii U version is so weak according to what a lot of people who've played the demo at E3 have been saying based on experience. Heck even people who haven't played the demo like myself have noticed the bad framerate (even though the framerate seemed fine to me :dry:...at least...at first anyways). So I will admit that I didn't really realize the framerate problem until people started to bring it up more. And I could think was my experience the the WW HD digital copy.

If the game has that bad a framerate problem that it even occurs when your playing the physical copy, then, I'm afraid I'd have to go with the better version on this one. Especially since it is literally common sense that the Switch version is the only version that is actually worth it, beneficially.

So that's why it would be best for Nintendo to just cancel the Wii U version cause it will only get in the way as a weak burden! Seriously people, would you rather have a game that is constantly slowing down as you play or a game that runs perfectly smooth, fluent, and clean, with no problem(s) at all? Which one sounds like common sense to you?

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Tldr
Wii U version is still coming out

Fact of the matter is they've already put too much time in the Wii U version to turn back now. Not to mention it'll look really bad on them if they do.

Last edited:

Mido

Version 1
Then Nintendo, as an intelligent business, is dead if that happens! :dry:

I wouldn't go that far, just as I wouldn't say that the loss of fans' good faith in the scenario in which the U version is completely canned would cripple the company. These scenarios are difficult to surmise. This all being said, this all seems to come down to a battle between making the pragmatic business choice or satisfying Nintendo fans with the original plan (although this would be more directed to Wii U owners specifically).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom