• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild One thing I'm concerned about.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
I guarantee you they're going to announce they've canceled the Wii-U release and Breath of the Wild will be a standalone Switch game.

Despite the development initially being for the Wii-U, I can't help but feel this is going to be the case. Yooka Laylee made the announcement recently which is part of the reason I expect it to happen with The Legend of Zelda.

What are your thoughts?

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I think it's plausible. They've already showed so much of the Wii U version, so I don't think they'll cancel. I'm still getting it on the Switch, anyway

Mido

Version 1
While I personally think this scenario is unlikely, after hearing the news about the demise of Yooka-Laylee's Wii U port, I am slightly anxious about this notion being possible. Then again, BOTW is a 1st party title as opposed to the former being 3rd party. This fact leads me to think Nintendo will follow through with the Wii U release, the console for which it was initially being developed. I would ultimately find it shocking if Nintendo did truly double down on the Switch.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
I think it's plausible. They've already showed so much of the Wii U version, so I don't think they'll cancel. I'm still getting it on the Switch, anyway
I think a lot of people are going to upgrade when the Switch releases, but there really isn't a great deal of incentive for Wii-U owners to keep theirs either. Honestly it feels more and more like Nintendo treat their old consoles like they never existed.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I don't think so. They showed the game running on Wii U, a mere 3 weeks ago.

It's possible that it may be cancelled, but I don't think it will happen.

BotW on Wii U will be way inferior to the Switch version however.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
To be honest, I hope they cancel it for Wii U. I believe that they covered this in a ZI video I watched. Basically, keeping it on Wii U will halve the sales of the Switch imo. There will be the people who will not want to buy the switch just for BotW and they just get it on Wii U. By having it on only Switch, the sales for the switch will increase because of the demand for BotW. It's just good marketing. That's why a lot of newer consoles have no backwards compatibility.

Mido

Version 1
To be honest, I hope they cancel it for Wii U. I believe that they covered this in a ZI video I watched. Basically, keeping it on Wii U will halve the sales of the Switch imo. There will be the people who will not want to buy the switch just for BotW and they just get it on Wii U. By having it on only Switch, the sales for the switch will increase because of the demand for BotW. It's just good marketing. That's why a lot of newer consoles have no backwards compatibility.

That is a fair point, but I wager that this move, if done, would be a double-edged sword for the company. Sure, selling the product on a more united front may benefit the Switch, but it also risks losing the good faith of fans who may have purchased the Wii U for Breath of the Wild. As the Wii U grows more obsolete given some of Nintendo's trends, many fans of the company who bought the Wii U may feel as if they have been given the shaft. What I don't know, however, is how this loss of food faith would affect the company in the grand scheme of things, hypothetically.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
That's another part of the reason I'm a bit worried. There's a tangible reason for them to do it, but they've hardly released what could be called a full lineup of their main series for the Wii-U. It would just prove what everybody knew in 2012, Nintendo don't care about their non-handheld market.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I doubt it will happen. As others have said, Breath of the Wild was shown running on the Wii U a few weeks ago. Moreover, Nintendo wouldn't dare anger its die hard fans at this point in time. Nintendo knows it needs these people to buy their system if another Wii U like fail happens in the future. The Wii U may have sold less than previous Nintendo home consoles, but Nintendo will hold tradition and give it a Zelda send-off.

Twilight Princess sold over 7 million units on the Wii and only around 1.5 million on GameCube. Some of the people who bought a Wii U in hopes of Breath of the Wild will buy it on that system, but most people will buy into the Switch hype and get it for the newer hardware instead. A dual release won't dent Switch software sales.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Twilight Princess sold over 7 million units on the Wii and only around 1.5 million on GameCube. Some of the people who bought a Wii U in hopes of Breath of the Wild will buy it on that system, but most people will buy into the Switch hype and get it for the newer hardware instead. A dual release won't dent Switch software sales.
Yeah, this.

I actually doubt that Breath of the Wild on Wii U will even break 1 million copies..... I bet you it will just barely reach 500K

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
At this point, I really do think the Wii U version should be cancelled. Keep in mind that this game is still in development, so it's very likely that Nintendo might end up just dropping the Wii U in favor of the Switch version being the finished product. A lot of people don't want the Wii U version due to the bad framerate. Plus the Wii U is dead anyways. So releasing a game on a dead system with bad framerate just kill the Wii U version in sales anyways cause no one likes bad framerate. That said, there's no point in Nintendo even releasing such a dull version of the game.

Everyone is going to want the Switch version because they're gonna the new hardware, the better framerate, and the best experience. They're not going to waste money on bad framerate. So cancelling the Wii U version is most logical and beneficial move for Nintendo.

1) It means the thunderous success of the Switch, as millions of units will constantly be selling lightning fast, making Nintendo lots and lots of money!

2) The Wii U is dead, the past. It is the Switch's time to shine now.

3) The Wii U version will just be a burden to Nintendo.

4) The Switch version is the superior one and the most logical to buy. Rendering the release of the Wii U version pointless.

That was a different time. Also, the Wii sold well because there was no Gamecube game to interfere until December 2006. I mean the Wii had nearly a whole month to sell. Which is why it sold so well. A lot people bought the Wii for the Wii version of TP because they didn't want to wait until December.

This time is different.

Both versions of BotW are set to release at the same time, on the same day. So this means anyone who doesn't have the money to buy a Switch will buy the Wii U version because they afford a Switch and don't want to wait until they could to get BotW. This will get in the Switch's way, causing a competition between the Wii U version and the Switch version. But not by much though. As the only reason why anyone would buy the Wii U version over the Switch version is if they can't afford a Switch and refuse to wait til they do to get BotW. So only on day 1, the Wii U version will sell more. Then after that, the Switch version will sell more, killing the Wii U version.

So basically, like I said, the Wii U version will just end up being a pointless burden for Nintendo. Which is something Nintendo doesn't want right now due to they're money problems. Making the dual release strategy unwise this time around. It worked for TP because back then, they didn't have to worry about money problems, not mention both original versions of TP released in two different months. Again, the Wii version being a month before the Gamecube version. Besides, look what happened to the Gamecube version anyways. It was a burden. And it will be same case with the Wii U version of BotW, only a little different this time.

That said, it would be wise for Nintendo to just cancel the Wii U version. Otherwise, it will just be a burden getting in the way of things.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I wouldnt be so sure on that ;) didn't the VGA's give it the "most hyped game of the year award?"
Yes, but they will all be buying on the Switch, the system that BotW runs well on.

People have all but forgotten the Wii U at this point, because... Well. I mean. The SNES currently has more games coming to it than the Wii U.

Most people will buy BotW on the Switch, especially if the Switch hits that $250 price point.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
If they do it, then I'm not playing Breath of the Wild at all. Nor will I play any new Nintendo titles post-announcement. Lock in place my current game line-up and **** Nintendo.

This is exactly why keeping the Wii U version a thing would just get in the way of the Switch and potentially hurt the Switch's success. Because people like Satan Claus will still want the Wii U version cause they don't want to waste money on another system just to get BotW.

People have all but forgotten the Wii U at this point, because... Well. I mean. The SNES currently has more games coming to it than the Wii U.

Huh? o_O :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom