• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your favourite RPG battle system

Final Fantasy, Tales of, Golden Sun, Xenoblade, Persona and even MegaMan (battle network).

There have been a lot of RPG battle systems out there, some have been great and some have been utterly horrid..

But which battle system has been the most fun for you?

And while youre at it you can name some sucky ones too.

Woyogoyo

The Oncoming Storm
I really liked Chrono Trigger's battle system. As for the crappiest one... I don't know. I'm not really picky about that sort of thing.

I really liked World of Final Fantasy's battle system. I actually really enjoy turn based combat systems, but my issue is when a battle drags on for ages to seem hard.

Mido

Version 1
I suppose there are three battle systems of RPG variety that have appealed to me:

Xenoblade Chronicles: The real-time combat of this game is a breath of fresh air, and sort of reminds me of how WoW operates, especially in regards to arte selection. The combat allows for the game pace to be relatively seamless (with the unfortunate exception of encountering a hoss of an enemy and being forced to flee)! It also forces the player to think on the fly, leaving the room for error much narrower.

Tales of Vesperia: The Tales games' semi turn-based combat is also somewhat refreshing. The pace does break, but there is a ton of movement involved in the combat, which occurs in real time although the movements are somewhat limited. I liked that this title in particular allowed for more free movement, which is especially useful in evasion. I did not like the Limit Break concept as much in this game. It was not necessarily bad, and it was useful, but I preferred the combination attacks from Tales of Symphonia since they paved the way for large and spectacular damage (not to mention the attacks looked cool)!

Legend of Dragoon: The PS1 title was an interesting game, and also very long. I never quite finished it since I never actually owned the game myself, but the combat was very interesting. It is turn-based, but inflicting attacks involved pressing buttons at the right time to inflict combinations, or what the game calls "additions." There were more traditional abilities as well, but the addition system added a layer of skill required to fight effectively in light of the traditional turn-based action.

Agent of Majora

Herald of the Consumer
I tend to detest turn-based combat in general, but my favorite of that type would probably be the Knights of the Old Republic series, because the whole game doesn't grind to a halt every time you run into someone and it actually feels like there's some tension.

WinterWolf

Gerudo Theif
The Bravely Default turn system used to confuse me, but as I began to understand it, it allowed a lot of room to develop my own strategy.

Though one of the reasons I like Zelda is the fact that fighting usually doesn't take turns, unless it's a boss battle.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I like the system of FFX. I love true turn based strategy games - especially if you leave while the game is in a battle sequence and the characters start talking about whatever while they wait to make their moves. Bonus points if they break the fourth wall and say like "what are we waiting for?"

There aren't too many battle systems that i think are sucky. I think controls can be sucky, but it's much harder to make a sucky battle system, since IMO as long as there's some sort of strategy it's at least somewhat fun or challenging. I hate the "mash A to win" battle systems but I think those are pretty few and far between or at least very easy to identify and avoid.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
The battle system in The Last Story showed a lot of promise. It was simple but flowed smoothly and allowed for combat pausing. I think it could be polished to a fine sheen in The Last Story 2 (please, Nintendo?). I love the Kotor systems too, Mega Man Battle Network was imaginative...man, everything's been said. Oh! I LOVE the combs in Dofus. Check it.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
When I was at college I liked turn based mainly because I was playing until the early hours of the morning and I knew that if I fell asleep I could just pick it up again when I woke up. FfX-2 sucked because I would wake up to a game over

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The battle system in The Last Story showed a lot of promise. It was simple but flowed smoothly and allowed for combat pausing. I think it could be polished to a fine sheen in The Last Story 2 (please, Nintendo?). I love the Kotor systems too, Mega Man Battle Network was imaginative...man, everything's been said. Oh! I LOVE the combs in Dofus. Check it.
I love that game. One of my favorites. I think they could have done without the areas specifically for grinding and should have made the player seek out enemies in the world but maybe...hopefully they will make TLS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom