• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Forum Merger Discussion/Suggestions

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Breaking down the Zelda sections, while making things look nice and neat, do have a way of just killing the activity on all of them equally. It's partly not completely knowing what section to place X thread, and part just dropping everything into General Zelda because do not care enough to really bother discovering where it should go. So having a General Zelda, and an Upcoming Zelda that is retitled as soon as we learn it seems to work out best. We have played around with things like a division between Modern Zelda, Handheld Zelda, Classic Zelda etc.

My Ideal has always been

Zelda
General Zelda
Upcoming Zelda/WiiU
Game that have released within the last 2 years (TP HD/HW/TFH) Each could be their own section
Zelda Theory

Entertainment
General Discussion
General Gaming
General Pokemon
Science and Technology
Mature Discussion
Forum Games
Mafia
Roleplay

Creative Boards
Fanworks
>Drawings
Writing

Community/Site
Community Central
Rules/Faq
Suggestions/Feedback
Competitions
Future Site Projects

Still, a slightly more streamlined method of dividing up the main series games could be done. But it generally adds confusion. Like people not knowing where classic ends and modern begins etc.

Thing is, lots of people among the staff want perfectly clean streamlines and everything kept in a single section without questions. Their last answer was to keep it all in a single section and then make a hard requirement of thread tags labeling each and every game. I hated those tags.
Uh... I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude. But honestly, this is getting ridiculous. I'm going to repeat this one more time. So I'm sure no one is missing what I have said. We have tried merging sections before. Many times. You've been among those who always suggested merging them to increase activity and it's ALWAYS had the exact opposite effect. I'm sorry, but you don't exactly have a good track record of getting this particular consequence correct. It's always precisely the opposite you claim it's going to be and you keep suggesting it the next time despite it not working the any of the previous times.

Given how the existence of this forum is being threatened by low activity, I don't see the harm of abandoning the traditional assumption of mergers = more activity. Because it clearly doesn't do that. Honestly, what's the harm in trying it for a while? It's not like things can get worse. We are essentially being shut down for being too inactive. Regardless of what anyone wants to call it.

Dan

I don't think many would have a problem with a small emote like that. It's hardly intrusive.
Not naming names, but it seems a few people want vanquish all emoticons apart from Zelda related ones.

Djinn

and Tonic
I have in fact never suggested merging for activity in my history here. I have been doing the exact opposite by suggesting more varied boards that the rest of the staff was very against. It always came with a fight from other staff. Locke and Mases are the ones that only think mathematically with the forum and want it to be perfectly neat.

But numbers don't lie, activity does drop like a rock when we have too much of a breakdown in board listings.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I have in fact never suggested merging for activity in my history here. I have been doing the exact opposite by suggesting more varied boards that the rest of the staff was very against. It always came with a fight from other staff. Locke and Mases are the ones that only think mathematically with the forum and want it to be perfectly neat.
Well then we remember things differently. Because every time I've suggested this before, you were always a constant figure, always there, arguing for consolidation, not against, directly to me and in public places such as this. If you mean to say you've said differently to other staff where I can't see, then we have a difference of communication. As evidenced by you again repeating the same broken logic that more sections reduces activity:

But numbers don't lie, activity does drop like a rock when we have too much of a breakdown in board listings.
Uhm... except they don't? They drop after we merge things together. Considering how we never actually break things down like this in one big group, you can't say definitively that's what happens. We collect more sections very slowly over time, then we merge them en masse in large groups. With so many variables, it's very hard to gauge the exact effect that getting more sections has been doing. But it is very easy to see what effect merging them does because that's a more sudden drastic change. And besides, it literally cannot get any worse. Mases already considers the activity low enough warrant simply shutting down the forum and making it ZI's problem. And given that consolidation hasn't done anything for us, there's no reason to stay on the same path.

What's happening is people are just looking at individual sections and assuming they're going slower, even though overall activity is higher. Then when they are merged, that individual section looks like it is more active even though the overall total is less.

It's like if you have a two buckets that both hold three gallons. You think it's ugly to have two and you want just one, nice big bucket, but all you can have is a five gallon bucket. So you empty both of the three gallon buckets into the five gallon bucket. There's now five gallons of water in one place. It looks like it's more than either of the original two because it's five gallons instead of three. So mission accomplished? Right? Wrong. Your original total was six gallons, but since you could only accommodate five, you had to discard one gallon. it's gone. That's what we're doing with all this consolidation of forum sections and it is an illusion of more activity even though there's less.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
How about we keep the emotes and just resize the large ones and keep the ability to block them.
Or just keep the emotes at their current size and keep the ability to block them. You can block an entire CATEGORY forever. Literally one line typed, never see giant emotes again. What's the ****ing complaint at that point?

Dan

Or just keep the emotes at their current size and keep the ability to block them. You can block an entire CATEGORY forever. Literally one line typed, never see giant emotes again. What's the ****ing complaint at that point?

True, however I find it both easier and more convenient to write a thesis on why they should be removed and complaining about them everywhere.

Because people basically use them to shout each other down and pick on each other. :/ You're still going to see the damage left behind.

I'm not saying people here can't take it. I am saying that they are annoying to the point that they discourage all but people spamming the emotes from hanging out in the shoutbox. There's quite a few posters on this forum that I always liked hearing from, but never saw them in the shoutbox before the emote spam calmed down.

It's like walking onto a scene where a bunch of juveniles are stuffing themselves into a phonebooth.... and your cell is dead. Your reaction is likely to roll your eyes and walk away, but that doesn't negate the fact that you could have used that phone.

Because people basically use them to shout each other down and pick on each other. :/ You're still going to see the damage left behind.

I'm not saying people here can't take it. I am saying that they are annoying to the point that they discourage all but people spamming the emotes from hanging out in the shoutbox. There's quite a few posters on this forum that I always liked hearing from, but never saw them in the shoutbox before the emote spam calmed down.

It's like walking onto a scene where a bunch of juveniles are stuffing themselves into a phonebooth.... and your cell is dead. Your reaction is likely to roll your eyes and walk away, but that doesn't negate the fact that you could have used that phone.
Actualy, since my ban ended ive only seen one instance in which the SB was being spammed. Before, it was every day. So the spam has gone down.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake

I've been on this site for nearly 4 years and I can guarantee you people were spamming and insulting each other in the SB WELL BEFORE the giant emotes came around. The emotes don't encourage it, it's just a means to do it. Getting rid of the emotes doesn't stop the spam or shouting or what have you. Lots of us like the emotes.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Once we transfer and find a new credits plugin will I be able to have all my hard earned ZD gold back?

I like the idea of the shop and credit system and there could be some good uses found for it. I do think that members who have earned credit here should not have that credit lost.

Reactions: Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom