• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zero Mission or Original Metroid?

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
I want to play the original Metroid, but I don't know which version to choose. Should I get the remake, Zero Mission, or should I just play the original metroid to get the "Original" feel?

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well, the original Metroid is MUCH harder in terms of enemies while Zero Mission (still not a pushover in terms of enemy difficulty) is MUCH easier in that regard. Aside from the difficulty changes and updated graphics and sound, Zero Mission also has special still cutscenes for certain moments (mostly for when Samus encounters a boss or during story related moments) and also has a few new items to pick up and an entirely new area (which is hard as **** before you [spoilers]get your stuff back[/spoilers]) and an added boss there as well [spoilers]that may be a prototype version of Meta Ridley[/spoilers].

And, if I recall correctly, once you beat Zero Mission it's possible to play the original Metroid in all it's 8bit glory on there, which means buying the original 8bit version would be just plain dumb and unnecessarily expensive. I'll look it up to see if it's true and edit the correct answer in soon.

EDIT

I was right in that the original version of Metroid in all it's 8bit-ness could be unlocked by beating the game, however I forgot to mention that there's not just one but three areas that were added to the game that weren't in the NES version.

Still, it's cheaper and much more worth your while to get a cart of Zero Mission as opposed to just the original Metroid on the NES/GBA/VC.

Last edited:

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Well, even though they both have the same story, the game play is actually entirely different. Zero Mission is fairly easy (except for a lot of the item pick-ups), but it still has that classic Metroid feel and some great bosses. It's a great game.
Then again, so is the original, but it's completely different. Aside from similar geography, the games share very little except story. The original Metroid is extremely non-linear, and very few items are mandatory to complete the game. You can go through the game in any order you want, with almost any combination of equipment. It has enormous replay value for this reason alone. It's extremely challenging, and it has an extremely great sense of atmosphere, because you hardly ever know where you have to go next or what to do, which lines up very well with being in an underground base.

Both of these games are excellent, and I wholeheartedly recommend you get both, because they really don't feel like the same game. If you beat Zero Mission, you actually unlock the original Metroid to be playable on the Zero Mission cartridge. If you buy Zero Mission, you could play both in this regard.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
Zero Mission and the original differ mostly in story, graphics, length, linearity, and difficulty.

Zero Mission implements story, has better graphics, is longer, more linear (though there is still non-linearity), and easier. It feels like Super Metroid.
The original has little mention of story, has NES graphics, is shorter, extremely non-linear (it doesn't even give you a map), and harder.

I would definitely say to get Zero Mission, because you can unlock the NES Metroid on that game. So technically it's two games in one. You need to try both!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom