• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Zelda Theory Video - Curse of the Skulltula family

ZeldaConqueror

Zelda Theorist 24/7
Newest Zelda theory finally out! Please keep in mind out of all the theories I have made, this one is the most controversial just warning you now because I don't blame you if you disagree, I just couldn't let this theory go to waste.

Djinn

and Tonic
I always thought it was strange how there was no explanation given on who cursed them. So somewhere in the world there is something that turns rich snobs into skulltulas that Link never dealt with.

Of course according to the text, it may have happened a long time ago. When an old man was the one to tell you the story and even he was telling it to you as if it was a legend that might have happened before his time.
"Folks around here tell of a fabulously rich family that once lived in one of the houses in this village... But they say that the entire family was cursed due to their greed! Who knows what might happen to those who are consumed by greed..." — Old man in Kakariko Village

The stone of agony being a sheikah artifact has been suggested before, the secret finding aspect is in tune with what we have seen before. But I do not think the family are Sheikah, they just do not look the part at all. The Shadow Temple linking specifically to the war mentioned by the Deku Tree seems reaching. We have nothing but conjecture to go by in assuming that. Plus the entrance was in the Royal Family section of the graveyard. I am not so sure the family is connected to the history of Hyrule by way of the royal family tomb.

I would not put the family past looting the temple or other spaces. The concept of their money coming from using the stone to discover hidden money around Hyrule is interesting even if it cannot be backed up by anything seen in game. Building on this there is just as much of a possibility of the family being cursed by any number of things from their looting of places like poes for graverobbing, fairies/Great fairies for robbing secret grottos, one of the deities, or Gerudo for stealing stashes.

ZeldaConqueror

Zelda Theorist 24/7
I always thought it was strange how there was no explanation given on who cursed them. So somewhere in the world there is something that turns rich snobs into skulltulas that Link never dealt with.

Of course according to the text, it may have happened a long time ago. When an old man was the one to tell you the story and even he was telling it to you as if it was a legend that might have happened before his time.

The stone of agony being a sheikah artifact has been suggested before, the secret finding aspect is in tune with what we have seen before. But I do not think the family are Sheikah, they just do not look the part at all. The Shadow Temple linking specifically to the war mentioned by the Deku Tree seems reaching. We have nothing but conjecture to go by in assuming that. Plus the entrance was in the Royal Family section of the graveyard. I am not so sure the family is connected to the history of Hyrule by way of the royal family tomb.

I would not put the family past looting the temple or other spaces. The concept of their money coming from using the stone to discover hidden money around Hyrule is interesting even if it cannot be backed up by anything seen in game. Building on this there is just as much of a possibility of the family being cursed by any number of things from their looting of places like poes for graverobbing, fairies/Great fairies for robbing secret grottos, one of the deities, or Gerudo for stealing stashes.
One thing I forgot to mention in this theory was that if they did have red eyes before they were cursed, it could be possible that the curse deprived them of that color, perhaps those red eyes have powers or her wife had a different iris color, but there's no evidence for both those statements. However if the age of that house they live in dates back to 10 years prior, then they must of had some sort of involvement in the war as everyone was affected by it. Not an exact time length is given but 10 years would fit "Long ago" and of course we know the family has lived for more than ten years judging by their appearance. So if we go with the assumption of 10 years or more, the village had only sheikah in it unless Nintendo accidentally messed this up. Like I said this theory is controversial back and forth. As for the grotto looting theory I agree, I just put that in there because it was a good analogy with the stone of agony they possessed. Their riches were most likely gained by fame since the Zoras knew them.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I'll atleast say this, I remember I knew people who thought the family was cursed by Ganondorf, but even when Link enters the house as a child they are cursed. It's obvious the curse was placed on them by someone other than Ganondorf, and it happened in the past.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
One thing I forgot to mention in this theory was that if they did have red eyes before they were cursed, it could be possible that the curse deprived them of that color, perhaps those red eyes have powers or her wife had a different iris color, but there's no evidence for both those statements. However if the age of that house they live in dates back to 10 years prior, then they must of had some sort of involvement in the war as everyone was affected by it. Not an exact time length is given but 10 years would fit "Long ago" and of course we know the family has lived for more than ten years judging by their appearance. So if we go with the assumption of 10 years or more, the village had only sheikah in it unless Nintendo accidentally messed this up. Like I said this theory is controversial back and forth. As for the grotto looting theory I agree, I just put that in there because it was a good analogy with the stone of agony they possessed. Their riches were most likely gained by fame since the Zoras knew them.

How can you judge by their appearance? they literally do not change in the 7 years between links visit as child and adult, plus it takes a regular house spider 8 hours to spin a web judging by their sizes i'd say it'd take significantly less, they could have been in that house for less than a month or have been there for a 100 years. Seeing as their greed led them to it, i'd be more inclined to call them Gerudo's who stole a sheikah artifact but Gerudo are for the most part female, could've been the menfolk they take to get pregnant but again i doubt that, it seems more probable they were a family who stole a artifact and were cursed for the theft.

Plus Sheikah are a dying species, we only ever see two in OOT, and judging from Impa's age i'd say it was likely 50 years or more, she was born and raised in that town and it was due to her efforts that the town was opened to non Sheikah. So it's 50/50 either they were Sheikah from before the town was opened or they came to the town stole something and were cursed for it.

Also Impa herself was the one to seal up Bongo Bongo in the Well Bottom, which bar from one or two people no one knows anything about, for all we know Bongo Bongo could've been the patron deity of the Sheikah and took exception to the fact a group of sheikah would steal from their own people. Next to Ganondorf and Twinrova, Bongo Bongo would be the next strongest, he managed to take out the legendary hero pretty easily in shadow form whereas Twinrova failed, and magically speaking it's a giant undead ghost monster, fairly sure it knows some curses.

The very fact there are 100 Skultulas that are involved in their curse might indicated something, Maybe the last skultula to be freed was the worst transgressor which is why it takes all 100 to free them where as the first requires only 10 and so on up until 50 Skultulas are destroyed.

ZeldaConqueror

Zelda Theorist 24/7
How can you judge by their appearance? they literally do not change in the 7 years between links visit as child and adult, plus it takes a regular house spider 8 hours to spin a web judging by their sizes i'd say it'd take significantly less, they could have been in that house for less than a month or have been there for a 100 years. Seeing as their greed led them to it, i'd be more inclined to call them Gerudo's who stole a sheikah artifact but Gerudo are for the most part female, could've been the menfolk they take to get pregnant but again i doubt that, it seems more probable they were a family who stole a artifact and were cursed for the theft.

Plus Sheikah are a dying species, we only ever see two in OOT, and judging from Impa's age i'd say it was likely 50 years or more, she was born and raised in that town and it was due to her efforts that the town was opened to non Sheikah. So it's 50/50 either they were Sheikah from before the town was opened or they came to the town stole something and were cursed for it.

Also Impa herself was the one to seal up Bongo Bongo in the Well Bottom, which bar from one or two people no one knows anything about, for all we know Bongo Bongo could've been the patron deity of the Sheikah and took exception to the fact a group of sheikah would steal from their own people. Next to Ganondorf and Twinrova, Bongo Bongo would be the next strongest, he managed to take out the legendary hero pretty easily in shadow form whereas Twinrova failed, and magically speaking it's a giant undead ghost monster, fairly sure it knows some curses.

The very fact there are 100 Skultulas that are involved in their curse might indicated something, Maybe the last skultula to be freed was the worst transgressor which is why it takes all 100 to free them where as the first requires only 10 and so on up until 50 Skultulas are destroyed.
It's self explanatory, a ten year old isn't going to look like that, it's an ignorant statement I know, but there almost as tall as adult Link. I'd say the boy in the graveyard is around 7-10 year olds.

The father is out of the question of course for the 10 year time length but the webs don't matter because there are other signs pointing the house as an old one, but good comparison, the old man said a family (not an individual)
but the old man said "long ago" so that already proves there of an older age. Neither do the 99.9% of the characters (other than Sages, Malon, etc) in Ocarina of Time change physical appearance lol, so we can't apply that, Nintendo isn't going to make everything realistic by changing minor character's appearance, only the ones that matter or have some interaction within the story. As for your Gerudo theory that's a good analogy to make, I like that. Bongo-Bongo could be one of the candidates, all I know is that the Sheikah must of had something to do with it.

Last edited:

ZeldaConqueror

Zelda Theorist 24/7
It's self explanatory, a ten year old isn't going to look like that, it's an ignorant statement I know, but there almost as tall as adult Link. I'd say the boy in the graveyard is around 7-10 year olds.

The father is out of the question of course for the 10 year time length but the webs don't matter because there are other signs pointing the house as an old one, but good comparison, the old man said a family (not an individual)
but the old man said "long ago" so that already proves there of an older age. Long ago wouldn't fit the description of a month, but I agree that it could of been any number of years. Neither do the 99.9% of the characters (other than sages) in Ocarina of Time change physical appearance lol, so we can't apply that, Nintendo isn't going to make everything realistic by changing minor character's appearance, only the ones that matter or have some interaction within the story. As for your Gerudo theory that's a good analogy to make, I like that. Bongo-Bongo could be one of the candidates, all I know is that the Sheikah must of had something to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom