• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Movie in the Works

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
There is a difference between an occasional butt joke versus butt jokes being one of the biggest slices on the pie chart when showing the various types of jokes in a narrative.

Notice how you posted images from three separate games. Butt jokes are not the status quo in Zelda, just something they do once in a while.
I haven't seen any illumination movies, but tell me then, how often did the mario movie lean into those kind of jokes

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Are you kidding? Nintendo wanted Chris Pratt for Mario. That wasn't like a decision that Illumination put forth and Nintendo sheepishly shrugged and agreed to. Illumination only co-produced the new Mario film along with Nintendo's new film studio, they didn't simply license the property from Nintendo and ran wild with it. Nintendo had as much, if not even more a say in who to cast than Illumination did. And they picked Pratt.

Do you think they'll approach Zelda any differently? I don't.
That's what I meant. Going with someone like Chris Pratt or Tom Holland feels like Nintendo showing off their ignorance of the animation field by latching onto big names who have never done voice acting before.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
That's what I meant. Going with someone like Chris Pratt or Tom Holland feels like Nintendo showing off their ignorance of the animation field by latching onto big names who have never done voice acting before.
Ignorance? Getting big stars for animated movies is standard practice and a lot of celebs, Chris Pratt and Tom Holland included, have done voice work before.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Ignorance? Getting big stars for animated movies is standard practice and a lot of celebs, Chris Pratt and Tom Holland included, have done voice work before.
They've done voice work, but someone like Chris Pratt is barely acting in his role as Mario. It was very clearly a grab for recognizable names versus actually caring about the voice acting.

CreeperMaster343

Spirit Tracks Zelda best companion, LinkxNavi FTW
i do not have the highest hopes for this actually being good (assuming it is being made), but i am wondering if a Zelda movie was made, due to Zelda having more of a story focus compared to Mario, i wonder if a studio would go with a more original story or an adaptation of one of the games, and if they did go with an adaption, which game? my first personal guess would probably be Ocarina of Time for just its sheer recognition value, and it has a decent set of characters as well to work with, but could you actually fit OoT into ~90mins and have it flow effectively

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
i do not have the highest hopes for this actually being good (assuming it is being made), but i am wondering if a Zelda movie was made, due to Zelda having more of a story focus compared to Mario, i wonder if a studio would go with a more original story or an adaptation of one of the games, and if they did go with an adaption, which game? my first personal guess would probably be Ocarina of Time for just its sheer recognition value, and it has a decent set of characters as well to work with, but could you actually fit OoT into ~90mins and have it flow effectively
I don't think adapting any particular game would be wise. No Zelda game really has the pacing or conflict necessary for a compelling story while at the same time giving a compelling origin for Link. I'd say it's better to write something original while working in allusions to other entries in the franchise.

And confining to 90 minutes would be a death sentence. :eyes:

CreeperMaster343

Spirit Tracks Zelda best companion, LinkxNavi FTW
I don't think adapting any particular game would be wise. No Zelda game really has the pacing or conflict necessary for a compelling story while at the same time giving a compelling origin for Link. I'd say it's better to write something original while working in allusions to other entries in the franchise.

And confining to 90 minutes would be a death sentence. :eyes:
i imagine even if it wasn't an adaption, they would probably choose pre existing characters to be a part of the support cast, even if it is basically in name only and redesign them, as for 90 mins, that was just me throwing out a rough estimate, i do agree a longer film would be better, but the Mario movie is about ~90 mins as well

I’m not sure I’d be as particular about who does it, Studio Ghibli is probably fine as any other, but I do know Illumination just would not be a good fit. Good enough for Mario, but I just don’t see any facet of Zelda in the same light as your typical extremely lighthearted cg movie with goofy characters and animations and constant action or jokes. Even Wind Waker wouldn’t quite fit that.

That being said, others still seem to expect a LotR vibe. Not quite sure I understand that, either. The only time the series has really gone for that has been Twilight Princess and I honestly found it very boring and not really staying true to that aesthetic in overall tone anyway. Zelda is not super grim, dark, ultra epic or entrenched in generic vanilla fantasy either.

Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom I feel has struck a pretty good balance in my opinion. It’s whimsical, melancholy, playful and adventurous. Of course, I feel adapting any one particular game is just going to restrict them. I find it especially funny seeing others saying, on other forums, “they’d have to split it into three movies to get all the dungeons in! It won’t work!” - ideas like that, people are just not thinking about how films actually work and I’m so glad they are not in charge. When talks of Shadow of the Colossus were going on, the fact that there are so many colossi is a bit more intrinsic to its narrative, and otherwise it’s a pretty quiet experience, so that would certainly never work, but Zelda is not quite the same.

The Mario movie had its own story, basic as it was. I prefer the two Sonic movies, and although they loosely adapted some bits from the early games, they are still largely their own stories, and I’d say definitely better than anything from the actual series for the past couple decades. If the same or similar ideas could be applied to a Zelda movie, I have no doubt it could be just fine. Don’t go changing any set elements too much, but don’t let the lore restrict everything either, find out what the core of the story is about and let that dictate the pacing.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
Forum Volunteer
I'm totally down to get a Zelda movie, but like a lot of people have said Illumination doesn't feel like the right studio to make it. Let's face it, we already know how it's gonna start. Monologue in Zelda's voice talking about the great kingdom of Hyrule and the dreaded Demon King. She makes a comment about the brave knight destiny has chosen to save them. Cut to Link waking up (can't forget that part) and starting his day as an ordinary Hylian in an ordinary village.
I feel like if they do a movie it should be done in a more serious direction, and i don't think Illumination can deliver that. I will be looking forward to whatever comes out though, if it comes out.

Daku Rinku

Trust Only The Triforce
ZD Champion
If a movie is made, live action or animated, what story would you like to be the main basis of the movie?

In my view Ocarina would be a crowd pleaser, Majora would need to be a later sequel, not the first film.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
If a movie is made, live action or animated, what story would you like to be the main basis of the movie?

In my view Ocarina would be a crowd pleaser, Majora would need to be a later sequel, not the first film.
I wouldn't adapt any of the games. I don't think any of the games have the pacing or necessary plot structure to be directly adapted into movie form. Instead I'd focus on a new and original tale of Link and Zelda and their quest to ultimately defeat Ganon. I'd pull elements from different games and the setting would be familiar, but it would be an original story.

Heck, I'd split the narrative. I'd dedicate at least some significant part of the film to Ganon's his origins, and at least some time spent alongside him to better humanize his actions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom