• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda games with strongest lore

So Zelda games are all over the place when it comes to lore.

Some games link well, others dont.

Some games have a strong story, others dont.

But which are your picks?
Which games in your opinion do you think told a strong coherant story?
Which games felt necessary to the overall lore and which ones didnt?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
......./WW-PH-ST
OOT-MM-TP
......\ALTTP-LA-OOX

These games seem to link well and coherently fit together as part of the lore. Almost all of the others seem thrown in to a timeline for the sake of things whilst contradicting events depicted in games they are supposed to precede or follow on from.

I dont think ST or PH really enrich the lore much but they do seem to make sense as sequels.

The capcom games dont seem to fit in and force seems to pop up then vanish in the timeline.

SS just contradicts loads of established lore. Doesn't enrich the overall story. Though I suppose the introduction of Hylia could be seen as a good thing.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I agree with Deus - the Capcom games, while fun, really mess with the lore and could be put in multiple spots on the timeline and make just as much and as little sense as anywhere else. The original timeline (pre-WW release) was pretty strong at the time as well, and so are obviously all direct sequels in relation to their prequels.
Special shout out goes to TFH, which the developers flat out stated that it was the same link from ALBW just to get sales up for ALBW when there's absolutely no reason it should go where it goes.

Reactions: Dio

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I liked OoT's lore the best. It was pretty simple and added something to the overall lore.
Skyward Sword kind of messed up things a bit though. I did like the addition of Hylia though, and the crimson loft wing.

Mido

Version 1
This is a difficult question to answer for myself. I find that the wide majority of Zelda games tend to at least incorporate a decent sliver of story into the overall lore. If I had to reach a final answer, I would throw in my two favorites of the series as examples of lore-rich games: A Link to the Past and The Wind Waker.

From what I know about ALTTP at the time of its release, it sort of acted as a prequel for the first two games of the series, establishing early lore though the Sealing War and creating an early framework for an expansive Hyrule in some regards. It also introduced The Master Sword, a staple in the series for numerous games. The story itself, while not strong by today's standards, was simple and coherent enough to be an enjoyable experience. As far as story impact goes, ALTTP's legacy carries on through the Oracle games and LA, which continue the adventures of our friend Link, although these games don't necessarily add to the greater lore as far as I know. (I definitely need to play them one of these days.) ALBW has a more direct link with ALTTP in the sense that it adds more story to the Hyrule in their shared timeline. A new Link in the same world, but with new twists and turns to boot! I never knew what to make of the whole "Hero Defeated" timeline prospect, but after observing the overarching story that ALTTP begins, I find the story on this timeline to be rather intriguing.

WW is an interesting look into Hyrule after the events of the iconic OOT. The story takes a somewhat dark turn that contrasts the lively ambiance of the overall game. It truly sets in the idea that there is unfinished business in Hyrule that must be tied up. Not only does the game tie nicely to the Hyrule we once knew, but is sure to continue the story by embracing a Hyrule we would eventually come to love. The game uses the previous lore to advance a new story that adds to a 'new' lore. The games following WW do just this: they tell the story of a new Hyrule. The stories of New Hyrule don't necessarily add to the overall lore, instead maintaining focus on its own lore. Examples of this include the addition of new villains and legends surrounding them.

It's a tough call to pick a game and/or set of games with the most influential series lore because each has something to give to the overarching stories, no matter the triviality.

OoT incorporated Hylian lore pretty well throughout the game. The backstory, Gossip stones and (some) dungeons, all created a story which laid out the basis of the split timelines.

Skyward Sword followed closely by Twilight Princess.

Majora's Mask has a lot of hidden lore as well.

OoT is awesome for amazing storytelling lore that could've been done in ALTTP but wasn't. However, SS is built on lore, has tons of cutscenes and really creates the lord the majority of other games are built upon. So that might make it edge out OoT in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom