• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Writing Competition Round 32: Results

Which Entry is Your Favorite?

• Entry 1

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Entry 2

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Entry 3

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Entry 4

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Welcome back to this year's final round of the Writing Competition! With Christmas right around the corner, I decided what better way to cap off the year than to make a theme for the holiday festivities! I had a few that came to mind, but none that felt interesting enough. I actually got a really awesome idea from @Morbid Minish, I liked her suggestion so much that it's the theme I'm rolling with. We have all probably heard the poem A Visit from St. Nicholas, more commonly known as The Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore. As it famously begins: "'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house. Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse..." For this round the theme is:

A Creature Was Stirring

Each entry has the parameter of beginning as so, ""Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house. A creature was stirring..." from there you can get inventive, what creature was stirring, and why? Do the residents take notice? It's all up to you!

Please send all submissions to me via PM by Thursday, December 24th at 11:59 PM EST (GMT -5). We'll all get to read the entries on Christmas Day! Have some fun writing!

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Voting

Merry Christmas friends! This month I woke up to 4 entries under the Forum's Christmas Tree, so lets all unwrap them to see what we got!

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
A creature was stirring (it was me, not a mouse)
Jimmu was up too, eating fried chicken
It was so good, he was finger-lickin'
I snuck past Rubik, snuggled up in his bed
With a full-sized body pillow of his friend Horsehead.
I snuck past Bowsette, and didn't have to think
About putting my front paws on her bed and saying something good about Link.
I snuck up to the tree, because I wanted to see
If Santa would bring me a golden key.
But I saw somebody was already there
I realized it was Frax before I got too bad a scare
I asked him "No sleep tonight? I sure can't"
But he just wanted to spend time with his plant
I accepted this and we started to wait
The current time was 11:48
Frax sat there with the patience of a mantis
To pass the time I asked what his favorite plant is
I realized what I had done was wrong
He started on an answer so long
The Twilight Princess tutorial felt short
He finally finished by telling me about liverwort.
Knowing more about plants than I ever cared to know,
I went outside to wait in the snow.
While pacing the snow, I stopped with a pause.
I thought I had just heard Santa Claus!
I let out a howl and began leaping with joy
Excited as a child who was getting a new toy.
I ran closer, then I saw something was wrong.
This Santa's beard wasn't at all long
I looked closer, then saw that this wasn't Santa!
This was the usurper Christmas elf, Zanta!
I let out a growl and prepared to fight
Ready to protect this Christmas Eve night
He then noticed me and began to cackle
Sounding remarkable like a grackle
The fight was epic, but I'll have to trim it
Because I'm working within a size limit.
After taking down this usurper Zanta,
I asked what he had done with the real Santa.
His reply was "Nothing yet, you brainless twit"
"But I wanted to see what he would be like Twilit"
When up came the real Saint Nick
And he called Zant an arrogant prick.
He congratulated me and rubbed my head
Then he sent my back to my bed.
The next morning everyone opened their loot
Bok got a new Spiderman suit
Magolor got a new writing pencil
While Echolight got a new drawing stencil
I couldn't see my gift and wondered if I had been denied
When Spirit told me to look outside
I looked out on the porch and oh, what a thrill!
He had given me a new Minda grill!
Using it, I made everyone Christmas dinner
(At poetry, I'm obviously a beginner)

Twas the night before Christmas,
When all through the house.
A creature was stirring,
But it wasn’t no mouse.
It was, in fact, just me,
Preparing a Christmas delicacy.
Stirring up my tea,
That’s really all I need.
What tea, you may say,
Well I shall not lie.
Tea is not my forte,
But I make a mean chai.
And of course I was baking,
But please don’t ask why.
You may ask whatcha making,
And I’ll just say pie.
If you want some keep your distance,
No need to get sick.
Actually, leave me alone,
We’re in a pandemic!
You want some pie?
Well it sucks to be you.
You cannot deny
That this year sucks too.
I will enjoy this pie
All by myself.
With a nice cup of chai,
And an Elf on the Shelf.
And as you read this,
Try not to cringe.
While I wrote it slightly drunk,
I think it will win(ge).

Twas the night before Christmas when all through the house, not a creature was stirring not even a mouse.
Except for one keeping the mice at bay, Waiting to make an appearance on this Christmas day.
With its eyes glowing yellow it let out a yowl, And then released a smell that was really most foul.
Its razor sharp claws tore the presents to shreds,
While an unexpecting child slept in his bed.
It knocked over the cookies and lapped the milk up,
And once it was done it swatted the cup.
It attacked the lit tree and made the ornaments clatter,
And the now alert child knew that was not Santa's pitter patter.
He crept down the stairs with a heart full of fear,
And soon heard the beast that was getting quite near.
At the bottom he shrieked and took a step back,
As the now aware creature began his attack. It pounced, and clawed, and chewed at his sock,
But the young boy was still in a shock.
"A kitten!" he yelled with a voice full of joy, And thought to himself "This is better than any toy".
It wasn't too long until the little creature started to purr,
As the gleeful child stroked its silky black fur.
No longer scared or ready to fight,
The two new pals had a nice Christmas Eve night.

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house. A creature was stirring... That creature was Roscoe. He hadn’t meant to stir, and actually would have loved to be warm and sound asleep in his little bed, but it simply wouldn’t be done. Roscoe had already spent hours curled up in his warmest, coziest sleeping position, but thoughts seemed to spring like pins that pricked at the slightest hint of drowsiness.

“My bed is so tiny”, thought Roscoe. “Surely, surely, I will be getting a bigger one for Christmas. It just isn’t… just.”

This led inevitably to a landslide of pin pricks concerning Terry down the street, who bragged every day about what an enormous bed he had and how he was sure to get an even bigger one for Christmas. Except Roscoe probably wasn’t going to receive a thing for Christmas because he couldn’t fall asleep and if he didn’t fall asleep Santa wouldn’t come and-and-

Roscoe shut his eyes tight and pinched himself with his claws. He’d never fall asleep if he kept thinking like that. The chime of the clock sent a chill of despair through him. Another hour gone by. Though the old clock was a minute slow, one doesn’t feel the executioner’s blade can take too long in the coming. Enough was enough. So he had sprung from his cozy too-small bed and decided to take a long walk about the house.

Suppose he hadn’t even been good enough to receive any presents? Wasn’t it even two minutes ago that he was thinking about how jealous he was of Terry’s bed? Obviously there wouldn’t be any presents for such a bad dog as he was and he really oughtn’t get his hopes up and maybe if he was lucky Santa would remember he existed at all and send a stern “You Tried” sticker so he’d know just how far he was from the mark.

Jimmy-that’s the human who sleeps in Roscoe’s room- always used to offer to let Roscoe sleep in his enormous bed high up off the ground. Roscoe couldn’t bear to even contemplate the risks involved. Suppose he got vertigo? Suppose he fell off? Suppose he was way up there and couldn’t find the courage to get down again and there was no one around to help? The idea was beyond absurd. Yet, sometimes he caught himself looking at the fluffy pillows and sighing…

The chill was starting to slow Roscoe’s rapid thoughts as he comforted himself with the lonely hallways of the sleepy house. Most were brightly decorated with brilliant lights that sparkled at all hours of the day, so it took an effort to find an appropriately dismal spot to wallow in self pity. At least he wasn’t a cat. Cat smells still lurked in the forgotten dusty corners of the house, where long ago a cat had snuck away for naps. The basement door wasn’t its usual shadowy state, a burning glow pervaded it, giving it a kind of warped Christmas cheer. Normally that fact would have been quite terrifying, but tonight the light and life seemed welcome. Roscoe paused a moment, mesmerized by the lively shadows it cast.

That cat, that cat, what was its name? There was a picture of it in living room. Maybe it was Sadie. Or if it wasn’t it would be Sadie now. Sadie probably had a life of luxury here, doing absolutely nothing but being held and loved and snuggled with all day. Probably never even gave a second thought to what the cat down the street had or what they ate and how much they ate and how many Christmas presents they got. Roscoe turned to go and take a look at that photo again. It was a pretty family photo taken at Christmas time, little Jimmy and Sadie locked in an embrace. He was so little then he was practically the same size as the cat, but he wasn’t so much bigger now. It seemed somehow bigger tonight, dwarfing his little photo next to it. The new Christmas photo brought back bad memories of a few days before, when they all had had to hold him still to keep him from bolting when they made him look at that terrible flashing light that burned his eyes.

Maybe he should just leave. There was nothing for him here, and really, even if he could fall asleep, what could he have possibly deserved? He was a terrible dog, and that was that. Roscoe had just turned to find his way to the doggie door and snowy white oblivion when the clock began to chime. He sighed, wondering if his absence would be a welcome Christmas present. All this flew from his mind when a great crash rang through the house, and he ran back to his room to find Jimmy gone and the furniture in disarray.

Roscoe ran in a terror all around the empty room. He didn’t know what he was looking for but surely he would find evidence that everything was fine if he just looked harder. The shock finally drove him out and into the hallway. All along the walls the Christmas lights blinded Roscoe with their dazzling intensity. The whole house was burning in the horrid glow of red and green. He finally made it outside, did not know why he had ran so urgently outside, but there they were. Roscoe barked fiercely at the thief, who was loading his sleeping human family into a sleigh. The thief turned at the noise, and smiled down crookedly at the little dog.

“Oh ho ho! Have no fear little dog! I’ve just come to deliver my yearly gifts and noticed that this family is broken. I’m going to run them off to my factory to fix them up. Be a good dog and run along now!”

Roscoe did not run along now. He couldn’t seem to understand what had been said. He was still thinking about it when the sleigh started moving, riding away with _his_ family! Roscoe bolted after it, and chased it on and on until he couldn’t see it anymore, until he couldn’t see anything anymore, and sank heartbroken in a snowdrift.

Roscoe’s head jerked off the floor. He had shifted in his sleep and fallen out of his bed. Jimmy, where was Jimmy? There he was, sound asleep with his little stuffed reindeer. In his excitement Roscoe bounded straight into Jimmy and took a big long sniff of him to reassure himself he was really awake.

“Rossie? Rossie! Aw, you got up here all by yourself! Were you lonely? Oh the clock! Merry Christmas Rossie, haha!

Jimmy wasn’t broken, none of them were. But they were missing a dog. Jimmy’s bed wasn’t up so very high as it had looked, or maybe Roscoe had just never looked, but there weren’t any pins to prick him, and he was foolish to have thought that Jimmy would ever let him go.

The deadline for voting will be Thursday, December 31st at 11:59 EST (GMT -5).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom