• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Windows 10

Djinn

and Tonic
That's right, skipping 9 completely because it's THAT advanced!

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-jumps-to-windows-10/
SAN FRANCISCO -- Microsoft just said no to 9. The follow-on to the current Windows 8 operating system will be known as Windows 10.

Originally codenamed Windows Threshold, the new operating system essentially does away with the dependency on the tiled "Metro" user interface that Microsoft had attempted to implement across its entire device line, from desktop PCs to Surface tablets and Windows Phone devices. In its place is a combination of the so-called live tiles, present in areas like the new Start Menu, and a more classic Windows experience that aims to please both touch and keyboard-and-mouse users.

Windows 10 is such a substantial leap, according to Microsoft's executive VP of operating systems, Terry Myerson, that the company decided it would be best to skip over Windows 9, the widely expected name for the next version.

"Windows 10 will run on the broadest amount of devices. A tailored experience for each device," Myerson said at a press event here Tuesday. "There will be one way to write a universal application, one store, one way for apps to be discovered purchased and updated across all of these devices."

Microsoft has spent the better part of two years, since Windows 8's debut in October 2012, responding to criticism over the direction in which it took the operating system that has long dominated traditional PCs. Windows 8 introduced the touch-prioritized Metro design with live tiles and removed key elements of Windows 7, disrupting the familiar look and feel for long-time Windows users. The changes were representative of an overall acceleration of Microsoft's unification of its touch-enabled mobile devices with its desktop and laptop software.

Those changes found many critics and detractors.

Windows 8.1, released last year, attempted to address those complaints with the revival of core Windows design and usage properties, such as the Start button. Now, with Windows 10, Microsoft is not quite hitting the reset button on touch, but wants to make sure it does not repeat history in its attempt to take Windows forward.

"We believe that, together with the feedback you provide us, we can build a product that all of our customers will love," Myerson said. "It will be our most open collaborative OS project ever."

Taking the stage after Myerson's introduction was Microsoft's Joe Belfiore, corporate vice president of operating systems and the current public face of Windows and Windows Phone design and development. He gave attendees a live demo of an early build of Windows 10. Belfiore, too, put the emphasis on a great leap forward.

Strangely companies are still in the process of phasing out WinXP for Win7 and people are slowly getting over 8, I'm thinking this one is still pretty far off and would have some trouble getting a lot of mainstream attention. The real issue right now is actually getting some truth out among the thousands and thousands of rumors floating around.

One reason behind the numbering is that "Windows 9" might get confused with "Windows 95" by some older programs. Computer logic.
That and windows 98
Code:
if(version,startswith("windows 9")
[url]https://searchcode.com/?q=if%28version%2Cstartswith%28%22windows+9%22%29[/url]

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I'll probably purchase a new PC sometime next year so I'll try this operating system then. Microsoft has a habit of alternating between great and terrible operating systems; since Windows 8 was abysmal, I hope Windows 10 is worth it.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
The names of the operating systems never meant anything. It's always been a marketing ploy. Windows ten could be exactly like 8.1 just without the bad interface and they'd still use the same justification for the name. The internal OS version isn't even 10.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Thought I'd have already posted in this.

As someone who didn't jump on the Internet bandwagon of Windows 8 hate, I thought the OS was not an improvement on 7 but not some anti-Christ like people made it out to be, I'm very happy with how Windows 10 is shaping up. It really does look like an improvement on 7 this time, which I've been happily using on my main PC since getting it and was a great OS, but I will definitely be upgrading to 10 when it releases. There's a lot of cool features in there I'll be making use of.

Does seem like MS have been making some great calls since Nadella took the helm. But then it wouldn't be hard to find someone better than Ballmer.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Thought I'd have already posted in this.

As someone who didn't jump on the Internet bandwagon of Windows 8 hate, I thought the OS was not an improvement on 7 but not some anti-Christ like people made it out to be, I'm very happy with how Windows 10 is shaping up. It really does look like an improvement on 7 this time, which I've been happily using on my main PC since getting it and was a great OS, but I will definitely be upgrading to 10 when it releases. There's a lot of cool features in there I'll be making use of.
Hmm.... well... it's sort of a tradition to vehemently hate every other major version of Windows. And they do tend to have glaring flaws undermining an otherwise decent system. Vista for instance, was not inherently bad, however it had a lot of junk features that slowed it down, sucked up resources and made it nearly unusable on average PCs of the time. Windows 7 was just Vista without the unnecessary fluff ruining it. Windows 8 of course is not that bad. The main problem is the eye-bleedingly bad interface that cripples the system. Mark my words, for all practical purposes, Windows 10 is essentially just going to be 8 without the nonsense. It's usually what happens. All of the real improvements, that are not just removing bad features, are going to be anything they could have just done in an normal update that didn't require a whole new version. This is just a marketing ploy to get rid of the resentment people have for 8.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Not really. Of course getting rid of Windows 8 and moving on to better will be in their mind, just as it would have been getting rid of the hate for Vista (most of which stemmed from the initial flaws in security that, though fixed, forever tainted the OS in the minds of many, in addition to how ridiculously bloated it was) but the fundamental back-end architectural changes and OS convergence couldn't just be added in with updates, or not to the level which they are being updated and changed for Windows 10, and that's not even including the DX12 API library Windows 10 is shipping with which also couldn't have been back-ported. The unified OS is what pretty much defines Windows 10, for both developers and consumers, and that couldn't have been retrospectively patched into Windows 8.1 to the degree it is here, so it's not just Windows 8 with all the bad bits taken out. There's a lot more to it.

On the consumer front, regarding new features we'll be using, yes these would be features that could have been done in Windows 8, once again excluding DX12 however, but there's a lot more going on under the bonnet of Windows 10 that couldn't have been done sticking with Windows 8, and Nadella would have likely wanted a clean slate anyway. Even if Windows 8 did not release to negative press we would have likely been seeing a Windows 10 quite quickly in order to conform with his new Microsoft overhead directives.

Microsoft does seem to want to keep up the tradition of every other OS being bad. Oh god Windows 11... stay away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom