• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Zelda Game Has the Largest Overworld? WW or TP?

Which Zelda game has the largest overworld? WW or TP?

• The Wind Waker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twilight Princess

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pen

The game is on!
I've been thinking of this a while now, but I can't come to a solution. Which overworld is bigger, the one in The Wind Waker or the one in Twilight Princess?! The Great Sea is very wide and open, so it looks really big. Hyrule in Twilight Princess is also very big, not quite as open as the Great Sea, but it's divided in more areas.

So, what do you guys think of this question? :huh:

L

Linebeck II

I don't think that there is a doubt that ww has the largest overworld, however it doesn't have as much for the player to sea (haha get it?) on it than the overworld of tp.

Just for simple comparision, lets say outset island is kind of the same size as the southern area of hyrule field in twilight princess. The southern part of hyrule field is around 1/5 of the complete hyrule field, while outset island is maybe 1/20 of the square B7 and that square is 1/49 of the complete overworld in ww.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Unfortunately Wind Waker. I really disliked the huge overworld; I remember when I first played it I had a book next to me whenever I would be doing lots of sailing so that I wouldn't be completely bored. Why only one island per quadrant?

Xixor

Warrior of the Past
WW's overworld is vastly larger. I liked both games, but TP's overworld felt too closed in... it was a big overworld, though. Technically, if you put all the WW actual land together, it would be a lot smaller than TP.

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
You phrased the question wrong.

Instead of "Which has the largest overworld?" The question should be "which has the larger overworld?".

The answer is WW, no doubt, if you count entire area. If you count landmass and/or area where you do anything except set sail, it's probably about the same, but then ALttP would probably be bigger, in that scenario. (Though it's hard to compare size on 2D to 3D enviornments.)

Ariel

Think for yourself.
I'm willing to defend Twilight Princess on the grounds (get it?) that the overworld was actually explorable in a traditional sense. The Wind Waker was obviously larger, but practically, the amount of space you get to run around, use your items and sit there without drowning or being confined to a boat is very small. I'm not a fan of the great ocean, but if the Twilight Princess overworld only let you ride Epona and walk around in just the villages and dungeons and not let you explore the ground, I would be seriously cheesed off. TP takes it for me.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
TWW's has the larger overworld, both in technicality and actuality. If you use similar modes of transportation (Confined to boat for TWW and use Epona/Wolf Link for TP), you can definitely explore Hyrule Field faster than traveling the Great Sea even if you have the Wind moving in your exact direction. You may even be able to explore ALL of HF(meaning Grottos and doing a few minigames along the way) about twice or three times before you're finished moving your pointer through half of the map!

Rytex

Resident Netizen
The Wind Waker. It had 49 squares of water, and each one was roughly the size of the TP overworld on its own. I have actually compared them because I have no life...

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
The Wind Waker. It had 49 squares of water, and each one was roughly the size of the TP overworld on its own. I have actually compared them because I have no life...
Funny, as I also possess no life. I did some calculations. About the time it takes to sail a single square in the Great Sea.
Here you are. First is the direction of the wind relative to the direction you are facing, with an actual wind direction in parenthesis that assumes you're sailing north. Second is the time it takes for you to travel 1000 of the in-game units, those numbers you see displayed on the map screen. The third column is the speed of the boat per second in relation to these units.
Full (North)__________________________60 sec_________9.0 u/s
Half forward (Northeast or Northwest)____70 sec_________7.7 u/s
Sideways (East or West)_______________80 sec_________6.7 u/s
Back half (Southeast or Southwest) _____200 sec_________2.7 u/s

I didn't do an opposing wind because you couldn't move without pressing forward on the control stick. I also couldn't do the times while doing any of those supposed tricks. Because I couldn't focus on performing them perfectly AND paying attention to my location to properly time it at the same time. Seeing as it's hard to find someone else with no life that would do that part for me as I did the tricks.
So at full speed, and assuming you find a east-west path, or a north-south path, that doesn't run into anything and you don't make any stops, it takes seven minutes to cross the whole great sea. I suppose it's feasible that you can cross all of Twilight Princess Hyrule, on Epona, in under or about a minute. I have not tested that myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom