• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Where Minish Cap and Four Swords take place

This theory was inspired by a video by Monster Maze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9shOnebEaQ. Please watch it before reading to fully understand. Lots of credit to him.

The Hypothesis:
I think I figured out the location of Hyrule in the time of Minish Cap. In the words of the video, since it takes place directly after Skyward Sword, and Hyrule was tiny in Minish Cap, it must be located somewhere in the unexplored area in Skyward Sword.

The Evidence:
If you've played The Minish Cap, you'll know that the Minish Woods (bottom-right) is much smaller than Faron Woods. So, the Minish Woods could be a small extension of Faron Woods northwest of the main section, but there isn't enough evidence. So here's more! Mt. Crenel (top-left) has volcanic activity underground. Which means it could be south-east of Eldin Volcano. If you look at The Minish Cap's Hyrule and fit it into Skyward Sword's surface, it looks like a perfect fit. Don't believe me? Take a look.
PDMzCro.png

Bonus:
I also think Four Swords also takes place in the Hyrule of Minish Cap, it has simply been deserted and altered with the passing of time. As said in the video, they probably moved Hyrule to where the Sealed Grounds once was along with the new Temple of Time.

I have more evidence for that claim; Four Swords has a forest in the south-east, a floating sky-based area in the north-east, and a volcano in the north-west.
(Mt. Crenel wasn't a volcano, but it did have volcanic activity, which could have escalated into an eruption, in which case it would be.)

Comment if you find more evidence, have a counter-argument, or if you just want to discuss it. Thanks for reading!

I initially gave the two a somewhat similar placement, then evidence was presented that caused me to place the Faron Woods to the north of the Minish Cap map. Feel free to take a look: https://zeldadungeon.net/forum/threads/hyrule-topography-based-on-breath-of-the-wild.61104/
We both agree, though, that early Hyrule most likely started close to the sealed grounds, and along side Faron Woods.

Geography usually doesn't mean a thing in Zelda-games, as big important landmarks tend to move all over the place between games.

I don't know, I've e made it work.

If you've played The Minish Cap, you'll know that the Minish Woods (bottom-right) is much smaller than Faron Woods. So, the Minish Woods could be a small extension of Faron Woods northwest of the main section, but there isn't enough evidence. So here's more! Mt. Crenel (top-left) has volcanic activity underground. Which means it could be south-east of Eldin Volcano. If you look at The Minish Cap's Hyrule and fit it into Skyward Sword's surface, it looks like a perfect fit. Don't believe me? Take a look.
This seems right to me if we are comparing Minish Cap and Skyward Sword directly; however, I prefer to use BotWs map to do comparisons as it has the largest Hyrule we've seen. Assuming Eldin Volcano is the same as the Eldin region in BotW, Minish Cap Hyrule would be around the Akkala region; Lake Hylia may be Lake Akkala, or potentially Zora's Domain, although the expansive Faron Region would have a newer river cutting through it, explaining the slightly less forest-y nature of the area southwest of Zora's Domain in BotW.

I also think Four Swords also takes place in the Hyrule of Minish Cap, it has simply been deserted and altered with the passing of time. As said in the video, they probably moved Hyrule to where the Sealed Grounds once was along with the new Temple of Time.
I could see the Four Swords map being turned 90 degrees, Talus Cave being below the Cloud Tops, the Sea of Trees being the forest towards North Akkala, Vaati's Palace above Skull Lake.
not a good photo, but imagine the water as the northeastern coast of BotW. hqdefault.jpg

Anyway, love theorizing about split-timeline pre-OoT lore so this is a great thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom