• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Where Do You Start with Music?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This is more of a Music Help thread than anything...but I've always wanted to review albums like the big kids, problem being I know absolutely nothing about music. I can't distinguish instruments from each other (just the other day, I thought a Violin was a Guitar...at least by ear). So uh...where do you start with music? Do you hop into the beginnings of Music Theory, or what?

This is a surprisingly difficult question to answer. I'll start my attempt by providing two essentials:

1) Learn an instrument

This is usually kind of expensive. However, depending on how seriously you want to take music, it's likely unavoidable. Jumping in and trying to learn music theory isn't going to help that much if you don't give yourself some context and practice its applications. I'm primarily a drummer, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to someone being self-taught, as it's almost entirely rhythm based. Guitar is always a good way to go, and you can get a usable acoustic guitar for $70-$80 on Black Friday, and usually $150+ otherwise. Ideally, though, I would recommend a keyboard, or a regular acoustic piano if you have one around for any reason. Practically every aspect of music finds its way onto the piano, though be wary as it's possibly the most difficult instrument to master. A keyboard would also probably be more expensive than a guitar. Singing can be a good medium for learning about music, but you'd definitely need to take lessons, which would significantly add to costs. Again, what's important here is the hands-on learning and the experience you gain.

2) Dedicate yourself

This is pretty simple, but don't underestimate its significance. Music is an incredibly complex phenomenon, and you have to listen with a conscious ear; try to avoid using music as white noise. Try to listen to albums in their entirety from time to time. Listen to everything multiple times, you'll probably find something new with almost every listen. Like I said, learn an instrument if you can. Study music theory (this actually isn't as important as one might think though), maybe learn to read music. If you learn to play, try to write some music of your own. Try to make music with other people. Music, when you get right down to it, is a form of communication. Watch people play, listen to all different styles, the list is endless.

Also, here are some examples of, in my opinion, musical excellency to study, broken down by subject:

Vocals
-Layne Staley, singer for Alice in Chains. Their song "Rooster" probably has some of the best vocals ever recorded, or otherwise. The expression is incredible. Almost otherworldly. "Love Hate Love" is also amazing, as is pretty much every other song he has ever sang on. He also did a lot of great harmony work, so listen for that as well.
-Fiona Apple. Much like Layne Staley, her expression is just breathtaking. Listen to "Paper Bag" and "Daredevil". Listen to every single word and how it is delivered. How she uses vibrato, crescendo/decrescendo, which phrases are smooth and connected, or separated and sharp and why you think she did it that way. What effect it has for the listener. Her piano playing is very unique as well. Very forceful and low, almost demented. I'd advise you to listen to most all of her music as well.

Guitar
-Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin. He's an icon for guitarists. He's very technical with his playing, while still being very expressive. Before he formed his own bands and made his own music, he was a successful and renowned studio musician. The song "Bron-Yr-Aur" showcases his expression, and the solo in "Stairway To Heaven" showcases his skill.
-Frank Zappa. Some consider him the best guitarist of all time, and they definitely have some grounds for their claim. He was a master of the guitar, technically, and did a lot of revolutionary things with it. The prime example would be "Watermelon in the Easter Hay". Everything else he does is also genius.
-George Harrison, Paul McCartney, and John Lennon, of The Beatles. I'm listing the three of them at once because, being members of The Beatles, which was a sort of pioneer rock band, they were sort of pioneer rock guitarists. They also had distinctive playing styles, through which their personalities shone. The three of them trade off solos in "The End", and its quite interesting to hear their styles back-to-back.
-Jonny Greenwood, Radiohead. I've really never heard a guitarist who sounds anything like him. He's technically savvy, and his style so unique, it's almost bizarre. Watching him live is the best way to understand. If you look up Radiohead performing "Go To Sleep" live on Jools Holland, you'll see what I mean. "Nude", "Paranoid Android", and "Knives Out" all feature some really outstanding guitar work.
-Jerry Cantrell, Alice in Chains. His playing is extremely innovative, and his intense, driving riffs have won him awards in some cases. The guitar solo in "Man in the Box" is fantastic, and songs like "Them Bones", "Again", and "Got Me Wrong" show the intensity I mentioned earlier.

Bass (I unfortunately don't know as much about this one, but I'll try)
-John Paul Jones, Led Zeppelin. His bass playing on "Good Times Bad Times" is really good, and he's a pretty renowned bassist.
-Colin Greenwood, Radiohead. What I like about his bass playing is the combination of melody and rhythm. "Nude" and "I Might Be Wrong" are good examples. "Myxomatosis" also has one of the dopest basslines ever, for sure.

Drums
-Matt Cameron, of Soundgarden (and unfortunately Pearl Jam too), is the best rock drummer to ever live in my opinion. He can adapt to Soundgarden's erratic time signatures completely fluently, and everything grooves fantastically and is just... incredibly tasty, if that makes sense. "Outshined", "Pretty Noose", "Non-State Actor", and literally everything he's ever done are good examples.
-Jimmy Chamberlain, Smashing Pumpkins. His drumming is very energetic, and very complex. What I like most about him is that he puts his entire set to use, and extremely good use at that. Listen to "Rhinoceros", "Geek U.S.A.", and "Silverf***". Most of Smashing Pumpkins's early stuff is worth listening to.
-John Bonham, Led Zeppelin. Also a very renowned rock drummer, his playing was powerful, and he showed the industry how far a well-tuned kit could take your sound. He was also known for using triplet figures a lot. "Fool in the Rain" features a great shuffle-groove from him, the drumming on "Good Times Bad Times" is outstanding, and the solo in "Moby Dick" is ridiculous.
-If you're particularly interested, the world of jazz and experimental music features probably the most skilled drummers. Vinni Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, Jojo Mayer, Benny Greb, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Steve Gadd, and many, many others.

Outstanding musicianship on all instruments can often be found in jazz and experimental stuff.

Well, I hope this will help, if you're interested. One last thing I'll say: Give The Beatles a chance. If nothing else, listen to the Beatles. There is so much to learn and so much joy to be had from their music. It's not something I can describe well in words. Anyway, best of luck! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom