• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Where BoTW Fits

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I'm gonna laugh when this game is officially confirmed to set in the child timeline. And yes, BotW IS OoT Link! It was strongly hinted TWICE! Vaguely once by a Nintendo Treehouse person at E3. And very strongly in the recent trailer. Anyone who said otherwise clearly did not see the recent trailer. It is literally confirmed at this point!
We can't logically say anything is really confirmed at this point. Even with the new trailer, we still know very little about this game overall. I don't see how it was hinted that Link is the same Link from OoT. Perhaps you can tell us exactly what the hints and references are instead of just calling us stupid for not noticing them?

VitaTempusN92 said:
And OoT Link was never killed by Ganon in OoT. HH is a lie!
Well, Hyrule Historia is canon, so there's that.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'm gonna laugh when this game is officially confirmed to set in the child timeline. And yes, BotW IS OoT Link! It was strongly hinted TWICE! Vaguely once by a Nintendo Treehouse person at E3. And very strongly in the recent trailer. Anyone who said otherwise clearly did not see the recent trailer. It is literally confirmed at this point! And OoT Link was never killed by Ganon in OoT. HH is a lie!

No it isn't. HH is the official canon whether you like it or not.

OOT link becomes the Hero's Shade in the child timeline and it is unlikely this link is the Hero's shade.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
it is unlikely this link is the Hero's shade.

The TP (both original and HD version), OoT (both versions), the absence of the Hero's Tunic, the two recent trailers, and Aonuma confirming the heavy connections to OoT (at E3) and TP (in March 2016) all say otherwise. BotW Link IS OoT Link and is the Hero's Shade. It is HIGHLY likely to be officially confirmed in near future. I can imagine next month they will come out and say that the game is in the Child Timeline before TP and that it's the story that explains why OoT Link becomes the Hero's Shade in TP.

We never knew why OoT Link became the Hero's Shade or why he could not convey the ways of the Hero to his descendants, up until TP. Or why TP sort just got the Hero's Tunic straight out nowhere, without anyone simply handing it to him. Not to mention, why OoT Link's ghost isn't wearing the Hero's Tunic (gee, this sounds familiar) and instead, we he's wearing this strange armor that we never knew anything about, holding an unfamiliar sword, and a unfamiliar shield. There's clearly a lot that we haven't seen before with Hero of Time's life. We never knew how he ended up the way he was before. And this game is clearly meant to fill those blanks. Similar to what SS did with the whole Master Sword backstory. BotW is literally to TP what SS was to OoT.

They are clearly doing the same thing with TP HD and BotW that they did with OoT 3D and SS. Seriously, what part of when Aonuma said there will be "Oh, I see" moments didn't you understand? They literally have done this before with OoT 3D and SS. And now they are doing it again with TP HD and BotW, whether you like it or not. I have done my research. And the only logical possible placement that stands tall at all now is between MM and TP. Deal with it!

:dealwithit:

I've seen the new trailer.. A bunch of times. Also, if your "proof" is the Deku Tree here's my rebuttal: he's healed in all three timelines. :)

Also, Nintendo Treehouse people don't know about the games.. They just play them..

1) Only the Deku Tree sprout exists alive in the Adult and Downfall Timelines. The Deku Tree sprout is a completely different incarnation of the Deku Tree, same mind but different body. This Deku Tree is the SAME EXACT incarnation as the one who died in OoT, but ALIVE! So this IS the CHILD TIMELINE because of both him and OoT Link are existing together as if OoT never happened. And which timeline was that? Oh, right, the CHILD TIMELINE! So yeah, this has to be the Child Timeline.

2) Um, the Nintendo Treehouse people are the ones who are responsible for the LOCALIZATION of the game for the English language dominate regions. So they've seen, heard, and read enough to know the plot, story, and lore behind the game. That said, yes they DO know that BotW Link IS the Hero of Time. And the Great Deku Tree's words to Link from the recent just even further PROVED that those Nintendo Treehouse girls were NOT just kidding around when they mentioned the HERO OF TIME!

We can't logically say anything is really confirmed at this point. Even with the new trailer, we still know very little about this game overall. I don't see how it was hinted that Link is the same Link from OoT. Perhaps you can tell us exactly what the hints and references are instead of just calling us stupid for not noticing them?

He literally said "The look on your face tells me, that you have no recollection of me however."! If you have ever watched anything where a character has been experiencing some sort of amnesia and a close family member or close friend of the character shows up, you'd know that's one of the kinds of things they usually say to the person who normally should recognize them but doesn't.

So clearly BotW Link did, in fact know this incarnation of the Great Deku Tree before. The ONLY Link we know who knows the Great Deku Tree very well is OoT Link. And based on what has been shown so far of this game and what other games say (as I explained above in response to Deus), he's the ONLY logical candidate we have here who BotW Link could possibly be.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The TP (both original and HD version), OoT (both versions), the absence of the Hero's Tunic, the two recent trailers, and Aonuma confirming the heavy connections to OoT (at E3) and TP (in March 2016) all say otherwise. BotW Link IS OoT Link and is the Hero's Shade. It is HIGHLY likely to be officially confirmed in near future.

The lack of Hero's tunic could mean this is the Era without a Hero and that this game is between OOT and WW and does not necessarily mean this Link has to be the Hero's shade. In fact it is almost certainly not.

The TP (both original and HD version), OoT (both versions), the absence of the Hero's Tunic, the two recent trailers, and Aonuma confirming the heavy connections to OoT (at E3) and TP (in March 2016) all say otherwise. BotW Link IS OoT Link and is the Hero's Shade. It is HIGHLY likely to be officially confirmed in near future.

Ganondorf is in the Twilight Realm during the period between MM and TP. Therefore there can't be Ganon during this time, therefore BoTW can't take place during this time.

We never knew why OoT Link became the Hero's Shade or why he could not convey the ways of the Hero to his descendants, up until TP. Or why TP sort just got the Hero's Tunic straight out nowhere, without anyone simply handing it to him. Not to mention, why OoT Link's ghost isn't wearing the Hero's Tunic

Why OOT links ghost isn't wearing the Hero's tunic? Because he's 7ft tall that's why and he couldn't fit in it.

latest

How is the one on the right to fit in clothes of the one on the left?

They are clearly doing the same thing with TP HD and BotW that they did with OoT 3D and SS. Seriously, what part of when Aonuma said there will be "Oh, I see" moments didn't you understand? They literally have done this before with OoT 3D and SS.

Well the only I see moments in SS were 'Oh I see they contradicted the lore there, and there. Oh and there too'

I have done my research. And the only logical possible placement that stands tall at all now is between MM and TP. Deal with it!

No it doesn't stand tall. It lies in a pit which I just dug. And I shall leave you to deal with it.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Or, you know, it could be an entirely new Deku Tree that knew this entirely new Link from 100 years ago. The Master Sword is enshrined in front of the Deku Tree. Going by the trailer, it's likely to assume that Link had the Master Sword 100 years ago. Maybe that's why the Deku Tree knew this Link. Or maybe after Link was put to sleep for 100 years, the Master Sword was then enshrined with the Deku Tree who still had probably met Link before. There's just no way to know anything for certain. We haven't seen anything that confirms anything either way. We can still only speculate. It's completely stupid to push for one version as if it's canon when we don't know anything for certain yet. And it's just as stupid to declare that HH is incorrect when it's the official canon determined by the games creators. We don't get to determine what is and isn't canon. We can dislike something all day, it doesn't change the fact that it's canon.

Personally I really like the theory that this is the game that ties the split timelines together.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I'm betting my money on this being a totally new Link, and BotW being set in the Child timeline after TP.
Also the timeline coming together doesn't seem like it would work. It would have three histories. The Hero of time failed, but won. and the world flooded but only 1/3 of the time.
I don't know it's just a weird idea, that I can't see working

I speculate that it might actually just be a retelling of the first game. We have all seen the comparisons from ingame BotW to the old artwork from the first game. Not to mention the fact that the first person you meet is a old man in a cave.

Also, there is a Sleeping Zelda in tAoL as well. Coincidence? Maybe the BotW Link is the failed OoT hero who was cast into a deep sleep by the Gods.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
This Deku Tree is the SAME EXACT incarnation as the one who died in OoT, but ALIVE! So this IS the CHILD TIMELINE because of both him and OoT Link are existing together as if OoT never happened.
Except this isn't how the child timeline works. The Deku tree dies in every timeline regardless of which ending because the child timeline is not "As if OoT never happened." The child timeline continues on after Link is sent back in time and he warns younger Zelda about what is to come. but the Deku tree dies no matter what.

@VitaTempusN92
A few questions about your Timeline placement:

1.) Why does the elderly woman in the trailer (Impa most likely) state that Calamity Ganon has endured over the ages, when Ocarina of Time was shortly prior to MM (which you stated BotW takes place after) ? Surely ages would be over a much longer time period.
2.) How does Calamity Ganon come into being even though Ganondorf was sealed in the Twilight Realm in between MM and TP, and why is it referred to as Calamity Ganon instead of Ganondorf (considering Ganon never even existed in the CT at that point) ?
3.) How did the Temple of Time decay so quickly, and why is the Deku Tree (which is several miles away) directly behind the Pedestal of Time?

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I'll just point out that the deku tree in WW has chin x10. He lives on an island somewhere. Given the tropical climate In which he was raised in, when the water dried up, he would have died from the climate change. Therefore, given 100 years, a new deku tree could have been raised and maybe he wouldn't have had the chin.

Last edited:

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
All I know is that it's in the Adult Timeline, after OoT and before WW. My theory is basically that this game is WW's backstory, but it is in the ADULT Timeline. Not Child. Adult.

But I mean come on, we have Koroks and Rito, but also Zoras Gorons Gerudo and Shiekah. We have a vast landscape with a Ganon sealed in Hyrule Castle, which somewhat matches the viewable but hardly accessible Hyrule seen at the bottom of the ocean in WW. We have a Link and Zelda shown mainly in clothing that matches Link's Outset Island clothes. We have Beedle. We have small packets of civilization that probably congregate at high altitudes. And most importantly, we have a Calamity Ganon that is breaking free from his imprisonment with all Dark Realm to break loose. The pieces are fitting together, this placement works completely for me. The only issue at all is Wolf Link, but he's warped in through Amiibo anyway, so it's probably just a Goddess' blessing/divine handwave.
Koroks came post-flood. Clearly there's no flood.

I have two theories.
1. Kikwi evolved into koroks before evolving into kokiri, and they actually evolved back into koroks pre wind waker.
2. This is post wind waker and the land was recreated by the koroks. They do not evolve back as they are guardians of the land now, but the Ruto did evolve back into Zoras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom