• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What's your concerns about Breath of the Wild?

I'm really excited for Breath of the Wild. I have loved what I have seen so far and been trying to find new footage everyday. But I have some concerning thoughts and questions that I'm stressing over and I need to post about.

1. The Story
- I'm really stressed about the story because as much as I love this huge open world, I really don't see how it can work without some sort of a block in your path preventing you from proceeding without doing certain tasks first. Which I think they pretty much confirmed won't be the case since you can go fight Calamity Ganon at any points. I intend to scour every corner of this game as I can but I'm worried I'll miss or skip something.

2. Melee Weapons
I really like what they did with the combat system but I really want to know if you can upgrade your storage to hold more than 8 weapons at a time. 8 doesn't seem like enough especially since a lot of weapons quickly break. It seems like a lot of micromanaging and will quickly grow tiresome if there is no way to upgrade how many you can hold. And apparently there are no weapons that are unbreakable so I don't know how the Master Sword fits into this game.

I had more but I'm drawing a blank right now lol

Im worried about timed content, or events that only trigger at certain points and if you go too far they become impossible to complete until you start a new game, Tales games do this and it bugs the utter hell out of me. Mostly because i often leave sidequests for the post game to give me a reason to go back.

Im worried about combat too, ive seen a few videos recently where Link has been fighting and had his weapons break leaving hin defenceless and having no choice but to leave the battle. Surely a hand to hand technique or a disarming move could have been used. You break your weapon and now need a new one but cant defeat the curre t enemy to claim their weapon, i wonder how much of a problem this will be in dungeons... then again, i guess you could just use Magnesis and hit them with a boulder.

I'm worried about early bugs. Nintendo put out quality products, but in a game the size of botw with that kind of physics engine I can see something perhaps freezing the game or bugging it out in the early days. I hope not but im worried about that.

Im concerned about the difficulty too. I know it wont be as hard as dark souls or nioh, but the Guardians look evil as all hell, i hope they dont feel like gates like XCX did with its enemies.

Im also worried ive spoiled too much of the story for myself having seen the translated Ganon map footage....

Im worried about timed content, or events that only trigger at certain points and if you go too far they become impossible to complete until you start a new game
Chances are they'll do it like XCX... warning you of any quests like that, and having them only available from a main hub to make them hard to miss.

the Guardians look evil as all hell, i hope they dont feel like gates like XCX did with its enemies.
I never found the enemies in XCX as gates... just obstacles that I had to carefully go around... I'd made it around half of Cauldros by the time the story led me to Sylvalum... admittedly, I was running for my life a lot of the time, but found it a lot of fun to explore like that. A comment they made recently has also implied BotW will be like that...some thing along the lines of if there's anything too tough for you to beat, you can just find a way around it instead.

Im also worried ive spoiled too much of the story for myself having seen the translated Ganon map footage....
That tapestry hardly told us anything we didn't know already, and doesn't even appear to be the complete backstory... plus they can't be 100% certain about the translation anyway... switching a few words for ones with a similar meaning could change it considerably.

Im worried about timed content, or events that only trigger at certain points and if you go too far they become impossible to complete until you start a new game, Tales games do this and it bugs the utter hell out of me. Mostly because i often leave sidequests for the post game to give me a reason to go back.

Im worried about combat too, ive seen a few videos recently where Link has been fighting and had his weapons break leaving hin defenceless and having no choice but to leave the battle. Surely a hand to hand technique or a disarming move could have been used. You break your weapon and now need a new one but cant defeat the curre t enemy to claim their weapon, i wonder how much of a problem this will be in dungeons... then again, i guess you could just use Magnesis and hit them with a boulder.

I hate missable content too. I hope they don't have any.

And yeah the combat system sounds like its going to be really stressful.

I remember the other thing that I'm concerned about but it's not breath of the wild related. I'm really stressed that there's a 99.9% chance that I'm not going to be able to get the Nintendo Switch on launch day because everyone and their mothers have already preordered it. I'm also scared that it will be a long time before they get restocked anywhere.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
concerns with the combat including easily loopable enemies, no revenge values, easily staggered and easily stunlocked enemies. i've seen blue bokoblins with super armoir but thats not enough. i need to see iron knuckles/.darknuts absolutely wipe the floor with noob players before i get terribly excited. other then that i don't have any real concerns at this time.

If there is just one more rune we haven't heard about, like it seems to be. I know that we have a lot of options in breath of the wild, but I would be sad if this rune system wouldn't be explored further with some more crazy ideas.

D

Deleted member 14134

I have to say I have quite a few concerns with this, especially since it's a huge departure from what's become commonplace in the series. I'll spit them out below.

• Huge empty overworld. Based on how big the game is supposed to be I'm concerned that the world will have too much empty space. The Witcher 3 was huge and the overworld served as a way to travel from point A to point B with far and few things to do in between. Apparently this is supposed to be bigger than the Witcher. Xenoblade X was also huge but artificially filled the world with those blue shards and wildlife that you for the most part either ignored or avoided so it's not really much comfort to see the XCX devs helping with this.
  • I'm also worried about how long it can stay fresh. Will there always be new things to do, experiment with and discover? Or will I just be doing a few things over and over again. I'm sure attacking an enemy camp will be fun the first few times but after the 50th time it will probably feel pretty boring. How are they going to keep things like this fresh.
  • A story that tries too hard. Skyward Swords opening was utterly boring as it struggled to tell a story and make me give a **** about characters. I want story to take a back seat to gameplay, it's nice to have a reason to do things but please don't shove it in my face the way SS did with it's mediocre love story opening.
  • Item System: I hated the item system in a link between worlds. Having all the items in one place that could be bought destroyed the ability to discover them on your own which is a staple to the Zelda series. With this game being go where and do what you want whenever you want I'm worried that too many items will be handed to you or that discovering them won't even matter. With the world being huge I'm ok with running into something that I need to come back to later to solve as long as there's a half decent fast travel system.
  • Fast travel: I don't want to have to play a song, do a dance, turn into a wolf, blow into a mic or sail for 10 minutes to be able to get to places I've already been to. Let me press a button on the map and be transferred there instantly.
  • Hand holding: From what I've seen there doesn't seem to be much if any but I still have nightmares about FI and SS so I can't completely discard this concern
  • Not being a convergence timeline: I'd just hate to be wrong.
    Just mute your audio in cutscenes?
    But then he can't hear the music which is a big part of Zelda

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
2. Melee Weapons
I really like what they did with the combat system but I really want to know if you can upgrade your storage to hold more than 8 weapons at a time. 8 doesn't seem like enough especially since a lot of weapons quickly break. It seems like a lot of micromanaging and will quickly grow tiresome if there is no way to upgrade how many you can hold. And apparently there are no weapons that are unbreakable so I don't know how the Master Sword fits into this game.
The farther we go, the stronger the weapons we can get will be, which means better durability. And iirc it was mentioned at some point that we could upgrade things? I know they said we can upgrade our stamina wheel, so it stands to reason we can upgrade other things as well. I imagine the Master Sword's durability will render it useless until you repair it; he said there are no invincible weapons, not unbreakable. This would make sense considering you find it rusted. You probably find it like that, have to repair it before you can use it, and then when it runs out of durability it goes back to being rusted. If that were how it works, it would really make other weapons important; there'd be absolutely no reason to use any other weapon once you got the Master Sword if it were invincible.

Honestly the only thing I'm really concerned about is how the new characters fit into the gameplay. The Guard trailer makes it seem like you can travel with Zelda. I want to have the option to invite other characters like Zelda to travel with me whenever I wish. We can already do the same kind of thing by taming dogs and the Wolf Link amiibo. I really hope we can do it with NPC characters as well. That's essentially my only concern.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
Huge empty overworld. Based on how big the game is supposed to be I'm concerned that the world will have too much empty space. The Witcher 3 was huge and the overworld served as a way to travel from point A to point B with far and few things to do in between. Apparently this is supposed to be bigger than the Witcher. Xenoblade X was also huge but artificially filled the world with those blue shards and wildlife that you for the most part either ignored or avoided so it's not really much comfort to see the XCX devs helping with this.

Well, from what we've seen, the world certainly seems more alive than Xenoblade X. There's wildlife that acts like wildlife, which you can hunt, horses you can tame, a dynamic weather system that can actually effect the world, and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. In short, I wouldn't be too concerned about this.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
  • Fast travel: I don't want to have to play a song, do a dance, turn into a wolf, blow into a mic or sail for 10 minutes to be able to get to places I've already been to. Let me press a button on the map and be transferred there instantly.
That is exactly how fast travel works in BotW. You can travel to any shrine or tower you've visited before right from the start. We've known that since E3.

I'm concerned they may have strayed too far from past Zelda games, things like weapons breaking and voice acting. Also hope the huge open world doesn't feel lonely. On the technical side of things I am concerned about frame rate/slow down (both Wii U and Switch).

D

Deleted member 14134

That is exactly how fast travel works in BotW. You can travel to any shrine or tower you've visited before right from the start. We've known that since E3.
I watched very little of the E3 footage. I'm keeping myself away from gameplay footage since I'll experience the game myself. We haven't known since E3, you have.
Well, from what we've seen, the world certainly seems more alive than Xenoblade X. There's wildlife that acts like wildlife, which you can hunt, horses you can tame, a dynamic weather system that can actually effect the world, and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. In short, I wouldn't be too concerned about this.
Still sounds empty to me. Wildlife that you'll ignore most of the time and weather don't fill an world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom