• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's a Game You Just Couldn't Get into and Why?

Hey guys, I just wanted to have a healthy debate about games that gamers couldn't get into and why. Note that this isn't about games that you hate or were bored with, but just games that you weren't able to get into that have a good fan-base.

For me, it'd have to be Dishonored. Don't get me wrong, the setting was really beautiful with the steampunk backdrop (or was it technically whalepunk [face_sick]), but there was something unappealing about the world and the missions. I just couldn't get into Corvo's story, which is strange since I'm usually a sucker for revenge stories (AC2, X-Men Origins: Wolverine) and the fantasy element seemed thrown in tbh.

Again, I don't hate it by any means or even dislike it, but I just couldn't get into it. After the first few missions I gave it back to my friend.

What's your story?

Salem

SICK
Gears of War, I just couldn't, I played it for a long time at first but then I suddenly stopped and I just can't go back and play it, don't know why.

Assassin's Creed 3! I loved the previous installments, but I was starting to get weary of the repetitiveness of the series' game play. I tried my hardest to love this game too, but I was just not feeling it. It took like 10 hours to become an assassin, and even then I was barely half way into the game. The game was taking it to the extreme in story telling. It basically delved deep into Connor's story, and showed his life from birth all the way until he succeeded his quest. The side quests were dull and repetitive. The landscapes were nice and huge, but for the most part there wasn't really much to do. There was just too much unnecessary empty land. The main story line was alright, but nothing that really interested me in going farther into the game. I lost interest two-thirds into the game and just stopped playing. Assassin's Creed series hasn't really evolved much since the first installment. It's just rehashing the same game play mechanics and not really adding much in each installment that is worthy enough to continue playing. Assassin's Creed 4 doesn't look that much different either. At this point they're doing the same thing Activision is doing with Call of Duty: just milking the franchise dry. Shame too since this series was so kick@$$ in the first couple games. *Sigh*

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Champions of Norrath. I don't know how many of you know about it, but while the game was fairly good, the bland level design really took a lot out of me. The second installment was better.

Assassin's Creed 3! I loved the previous installments, but I was starting to get weary of the repetitiveness of the series' game play. I tried my hardest to love this game too, but I was just not feeling it. It took like 10 hours to become an assassin, and even then I was barely half way into the game. The game was taking it to the extreme in story telling. It basically delved deep into Connor's story, and showed his life from birth all the way until he succeeded his quest. The side quests were dull and repetitive. The landscapes were nice and huge, but for the most part there wasn't really much to do. There was just too much unnecessary empty land. The main story line was alright, but nothing that really interested me in going farther into the game. I lost interest two-thirds into the game and just stopped playing. Assassin's Creed series hasn't really evolved much since the first installment. It's just rehashing the same game play mechanics and not really adding much in each installment that is worthy enough to continue playing. Assassin's Creed 4 doesn't look that much different either. At this point they're doing the same thing Activision is doing with Call of Duty: just milking the franchise dry. Shame too since this series was so kick@$$ in the first couple games. *Sigh*

For me, it wasn't even an assassin's game. That's the problem with yearly releases- companies get caught in this question of whether to innovate or not. Obviously for COD, many want the series to innovate itself now, but regarding Assassin's Creed (in my honest opinion) the series never really needed to innovate much from what they established in ACII. That's why I loved Brotherhood- it had the best feel in the series IMO, though the problem was they decided to focus more on side-content than story (another problem with yearly release- rushed production).

Revelations was where the downfall began where they turned Ezio from a master assassin into an exposed commander. Honestly, from the beginning to the end he didn't even try to be stealthy. Den Defense was just ridiculous as that was literal open-warfare. Not the assassin style....

And what did they do with ACIII? They just expanded upon that. I understand that the assassin order was gone in America, but Achilles must have been a terrible assassin to have thought Connor to act stupid rather than stealthy in precarious situations (remember where he just barges in on Thomas Hickey's meeting? I was like WTF???). And then having him COMMAND ARMIES during battles. That was the real turn-off. I really liked the Battle of Bunker Hill because that's how I felt an assassin should operate, moving secretly through a battlefield, not leading troops and stupid **** like a soldier.

I don't hate ACIII, but it's not a game I like to replay. I'm not even getting the 4th b/c who can honestly call that an assassin's game? Looks more like the next POTC installment. It's really sad when you can say The Last of Us was more of an assassin's game than what the AC franchise has become.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Honestly, I don't understand the hate for Assassin's Creed III. It's easily the best game since II. The story does start slow, but it's not bad. It just makes the story greater. Everything about AC III just feels like an improvement on past titles. The side stuff is fun, although I think they might have went overboard. The gameplay is so much better and fluid. Desmond's parts are the most interesting in the series, and so on. As a stand alone game, it's really amazing. The beginning might have been too slow for someone who has played the previous games, but I can appreciate the story and the way they told it. It was all necessary and worked out for the best.

Revelations was where the downfall began where they turned Ezio from a master assassin into an exposed commander. Honestly, from the beginning to the end he didn't even try to be stealthy. Den Defense was just ridiculous as that was literal open-warfare. Not the assassin style....

My interest in the Assassin's Creed series actually declined when I was playing Revelations. There was nothing new added to the game play, just like how nothing new was added in the other installments. And I agree with you wholeheartedly, the very fact that the secret brotherhood basically became an exposed army, it just became bleh. They weren't really hiding within the shadows anymore. They were just running around willy-nilly trying to get a piece at the Templar Order... and that Den Defense mini-game was the worst part of the game. I.HATED.IT. Only reason why I finished that game was due to Ezio being one of my favorite video game characters of all time.

As for AC3, I just couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't take what they did with it. I just gave up on that game.

Definitely The Last of Us. I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't get past the boring, repetitive gameplay and the predictable story. I also thought that every character besides Joel and Ellie were rather boring.

Darksiders II. I can see why people like it, but I'm really only playing it because I payed $60. =/

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Skyrim - the combat is so clunky that everything else is NOT worthwhile.
Battlefield 3 - the game is just utter ****, it's like CoD except they expect you to spend even more money on DLC; the worst part is that one can use DLC weapons in DLC-free lobbies which leads to horribly imbalanced matches.

Majora's Mask. I want to enjoy the game, but I just can't stand it.

Also, Fallout 3. I loved the first 2 hours, but once you're out in the wasteland it's so bland.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
The Assassin Creed and Call of Duty games. I never liked any of those games, and didn't even want to. I don't even know why I even tried them. I am not a big fan of the gameplay of those games. First person shooters aren't very fun for me, but there are some exceptions. The stealth mechanics and parkour in Assassin's Creed makes the games boring for me. I understand why they're popular, but they aren't for me.

Honestly, I don't understand the hate for Assassin's Creed III. It's easily the best game since II. The story does start slow, but it's not bad. It just makes the story greater. Everything about AC III just feels like an improvement on past titles. The side stuff is fun, although I think they might have went overboard. The gameplay is so much better and fluid. Desmond's parts are the most interesting in the series, and so on. As a stand alone game, it's really amazing. The beginning might have been too slow for someone who has played the previous games, but I can appreciate the story and the way they told it. It was all necessary and worked out for the best.

Your opinion is respected mate, but let me give my two-cents on the subject. The story tried to tackle several things, but ended up being bland. The premise is essentially Connor is told by Minerva(?) to kill these templars and goes about doing that. Sound familiar to another boring game? At the same time, the developers tried to incorporate other elements such as Connor's Revenge, the Revolutionary War and the rebuilding of the brotherhood, but they all ended up failing. Connor's revenge was turned into a plot twist that made him look like a brainwashed idiot. The war deteriorated from the main story beginning with sequence 8 (till it became mute). And the brotherhood was left to be side content (Brotherhood and Revelations did follow a similar pattern in this regard, but it was much less obvious).

Really my biggest gripe with the story were the numerous timeskips. I thought it was just the writer's either being lazy or rushed. I especially disliked the huge gap between Haytham and Connor's transition as it created plot holes that weren't explained and thus left to speculation.

I liked most of the side content too (except the Frontiersman missions and several of the Liberation ones). The naval missions were cool, but again they weren't "assassin-like" at all. I really enjoyed the Desmond sequences, but that just made me more disappointed with ACIII as I would've preferred a modern-setting with Desmond as the final entry in his saga over playing as Connor.

My interest in the Assassin's Creed series actually declined when I was playing Revelations. There was nothing new added to the game play, just like how nothing new was added in the other installments. And I agree with you wholeheartedly, the very fact that the secret brotherhood basically became an exposed army, it just became bleh. They weren't really hiding within the shadows anymore. They were just running around willy-nilly trying to get a piece at the Templar Order... and that Den Defense mini-game was the worst part of the game. I.HATED.IT. Only reason why I finished that game was due to Ezio being one of my favorite video game characters of all time.

As for AC3, I just couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't take what they did with it. I just gave up on that game.

I don't see your complaint about the lack of innovation b/c, aside from combat and more fluid animation, there was nothing really needed to "innovate" from the ACII formula.

But your spot on on everything else ;)

Skyrim - the combat is so clunky that everything else is NOT worthwhile.

Did you like Oblivion?

Majora's Mask. I want to enjoy the game, but I just can't stand it.

My problem with Majora's Mask is the same problem I have with Pikmin and that's the time limit. I don't like being rushed when I play a game.

You have two https, so the link is kind of messed up.

But yes, from what I've heard, TOR is garbage, and even has a nickname "TORtanic"

Lol, TORtanic. :party:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom