• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What if BotW wasn't a Zelda game?

rob1610

Triple A Gamer
So someone asked IGN an interesting question recently. Would Breath of the Wild still sell if it wasn't a Zelda game?

I think so. I'd still be excited because I love open world games and the physics is one of the things I'm really hyped about. And Nintendo have proven they can attempt a new genre and still do well. Splatoon, for example.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
If it wasn't a Zelda game I wouldn't be excited for it and wouldn't be buying it, certainly would not get a new console just to play as I shall do for BoTW.

The reason I'm getting it because I like the characters, storytelling and lore of Zelda not because it is an open world game.

Ive always thought that if Skyward Sword wasnt a Zelda game it'd get slated way more, which it should anyway.
Amen.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I suppose games like skyrim still did really well so I think it would still sell but the fact that it is a zelda game certainly helps the sales.

rob1610

Triple A Gamer
If it wasn't a Zelda game I wouldn't be excited for it and wouldn't be buying it, certainly would not get a new console just to play as I shall do for BoTW.

The reason I'm getting it because I like the characters, storytelling and lore of Zelda not because it is an open world game.
I actually agree with you. I'm getting a Switch at launch for BotW as well. But for a new system, I wouldn't buy it just because a good-looking open-world game came out. I didn't get a Wii U for Lego City Undercover, after all. I'd still get it eventually because although we've barely seen any story elements so far, it still looks amazing and pretty damn fun to me. But I'm not excited for BotW JUST because it's open world. I'd be hyped and get this game regardless of the genre because Zelda is my favourite game series of all time. I agree with Miyamoto who says story is important and the story and lore is one of my favourite things about Zelda (it's also why I get so passionate about the timeline). And BotW is a combination of that, my favourite game series of all time, and one of my favourite genres and that's why I'm as hyped as I am. Urgh. Is it March 3rd yet? >_<

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Honestly I think it would still be a fantastic game and I would still be interested in it, but I doubt that I would be anywhere near excited for it as I am now if it weren't Zelda. The Zelda series has this charm to it, and seeing these familiar characters and new characters in a totally new formula for the series is a major selling point. And on a personal matter, it's rekindled my love and excitement for the Zelda series which was starting to burn out. If it weren't a Zelda game, it could still be a good game. But it definitely wouldn't be anywhere near the same experience.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
It wouldn't sell as well, there's no way. Would still sell okay I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom