• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What do you think the fan reaction to Zelda U will be?

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
I think when the game comes out, we'll probably have 100 posts on here about why the game failed to live up to the hype, despite it being a near-perfect title.

I.e. "The ice in the ice dungeon is too slippery. The hookshot is ugly looking. Epona's voice isn't as good as it was in Twilight Princess. There isn't ___ in this game ; all Zelda games have ____ in it. The theme song of the desert area is boring." Or, "I don't know. I like this game. I just find something about Ocarina of Time better. I can't put my finger on it."

Truth be told, you're just growing up and games aren't as nostalgic when you were a kid, despite the crazy expectations you put on Zelda U.

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
Personally, I'm not very picky with games and I've never not enjoyed a Zelda game. I may be mildly disappointed if my favourite item doesn't turn up or something, but I'll probably be too busy enjoying the rest of the game to care much. Unfortunately, all your examples seem familiar and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to hear them echoed again. Except Epona's voice, that one made me laugh.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think when the game comes out, we'll probably have 100 posts on here about why the game failed to live up to the hype, despite it being a near-perfect title.

I.e. "The ice in the ice dungeon is too slippery. The hookshot is ugly looking. Epona's voice isn't as good as it was in Twilight Princess. There isn't ___ in this game ; all Zelda games have ____ in it. The theme song of the desert area is boring." Or, "I don't know. I like this game. I just find something about Ocarina of Time better. I can't put my finger on it."

Truth be told, you're just growing up and games aren't as nostalgic when you were a kid, despite the crazy expectations you put on Zelda U.

Its not about nostalgia. Most of us have played many games now and we know what we like and what we don't. Zelda often scraps things good about the previous entry whilst adding some good new stuff and some crappy new stuff.
It's not a natural progression as it should be which is why there is so many complaints. If they went about it right they should preserve or keep all the good whilst listening to the complaints to scrap the bad.
With Zelda U no doubt this will happen again.

Reactions: ILU
I expect a lot of fan-backlash for Zelda U once the majority play it. Especially if the game really does challenge the conventions and lands us with an alien feeling game. I've already heard people complain about the way Epona looks, as well as Link and that the overworld looks too artificial (even though we've seen very little of it).

We'll have to wait and see but i think there'll be quite a bit of Zelda U backlash.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
But it's just weird how people say a game is bad, "one of the worst" ever, or super disappointing and then when they're asked why, they just find little nitpicks.

Yeah, the nitpicks are minor problems, but those are probably not why you weren't impressed with the game.

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
But it's just weird how people say a game is bad, "one of the worst" ever, or super disappointing and then when they're asked why, they just find little nitpicks.

Yeah, the nitpicks are minor problems, but those are probably not why you weren't impressed with the game.
They probably aren't impressed because they compare it to romanticised versions of their favourite previous instalment and then to other genres of games (probably Skyrim in this case which it will probably not be that similar to) rather than judging the game as a stand alone game. Not everyone will of course, some people will probably just not like it which is fair enough.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
I honestly think that's part of the reason why Skyward Sword is a disappointment. It made a number of mistakes (don't get me wrong), but if SS came out in 2006, ya'll would've loved it.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I expect a lot of fan-backlash for Zelda U once the majority play it. Especially if the game really does challenge the conventions and lands us with an alien feeling game. I've already heard people complain about the way Epona looks, as well as Link and that the overworld looks too artificial (even though we've seen very little of it).

We'll have to wait and see but i think there'll be quite a bit of Zelda U backlash.

I highly doubt it will challenge conventions. Aounuma tells us this crap every time Zelda is on the way. Conventions are kept pretty much the same, they just change little bits.
I know you mentioned Epona is a different colour. That's probably a big convention change for Aounuma.

We'll see anyway

I guess to answer the thread, fan reaction will be generally positive with a few vocal haters as per usual.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I honestly think that's part of the reason why Skyward Sword is a disappointment. It made a number of mistakes (don't get me wrong), but if SS came out in 2006, ya'll would've loved it.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me personally, this is false. Nothing but completely different controls would have made me like that game. I can tell the world was going to be fun, and that then dungeons and enemies were neat and interesting, and the story was going to be also enjoyable.

I don't care if Link is a boy or a girl or a frog. I don't care if Ganon is or is not the main villain. But when the game is unplayable because of the controls, that's not nitpicking.

Now that the game is delayed, I expect people's expectations will be even higher. Aonuma-san's comments are only going to fuel that expectation.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
SS would've been a perfect showcase for motion controls at the start of the generation, unlike TP where it was tacked on. People were younger, more impressionable and their standards were lower in 2006. There were also less games out (unlike the busy year of 2011) and times weren't nearly as busy as they are in the digital age.

Simply put, people would've had more patience for it.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Everything sucks because it's not OoT!

or

Everything sucks because it's too similar to OoT!

Take your pick.

ILU

i luv u
I actually think that the overall reaction will be great. I don't know about this community in particular, so I can't comment on that.

However, I think the visual style is going to be its savior. I always use TP as my example because regardless of how bad (I think) it was, the edgy darkness thing was popular. I think the fact that animu is so insanely popular will help this very anime style. I'm sure there will be whining as usual, but I think the anime-like visuals are going to make a big impact on its reception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom