• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do You Look for in an Argument?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
What do you look for in a day to day arguments? Are you looking for friendliness? Solid reasoning? Intelligence? Debates? Discussions? Respect?

Me, I really just look for friendliness and respect above all else. I could careless if the person has sound reasoning, if their "logic is faulty", if they aren't as smart as me or if they're smarter. If you're going to be condescending, a jerkface, mean or unfriendly, I'd rather you not talk to me, whether it is IRL, voice chat or text. Friendliness breeds niceties, and niceties are loved by all!

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
If the person/group agrees with me or not. :right:

But srsly, respect is my number one aspect in arguments. The person cannot simply state their argument, and then deny and shun everything that I bring up. If they are accepting of my opinion and my views, than I will be the same way for them. It is so incredibly rude to state an argument, and then deny everything that is against that argument. It's very selfish, and it will basically get you nowhere in the situation, so it's working against you.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I like debates and discussions.

If I don't agree, I let them tell me their opinion so that I can understand their POV better. I may still not agree, but it broadens my perspective, and I may learn something from it. If they really want a debate, then I'm open to that to. A good, well informed, educated debate, is powerful, and fun.

Dan

I often like to here the other point of view from them, see the other side, perhaps I'm missing something. I also helps me get a better view of their character. What I don't like to do is have that pathetic "I'm always right" mentality. :P

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
For a arguement or debate, I look for a good reason to debate about in the first place. For example, If someone who hates the Zelda series, but has never played or seen it insults the game & call it gay, someone tells them they shouldn't insult it until they've actually played a game, & it ends there; there's no reason to go any further.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
sometimes i look for debates, the other times im into being an ******* because im usually in a foul mood and when im mean it makes me laugh and feel better...

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Nowadays I usually only enter an argument if it regards a unique, brain bending topic which hasn't been butchered to death before. Respect is always nice but we have to face the fact that there will always be jerks in life who won't offer even that trifling courtesy. The next best option is to then search for intellect. I want to debate with someone who I know has evidence to defend his or her opinion and whom I can listen to in understanding their thought process. On this forum, for example, I therefore enjoy debating with Axle the Beast because he knows what's he talking about.

Intelligent discussion is the most important aspect of argument for me. I see it as largely meaningless otherwise. I think that one of the most important things in an argument is to try and understand why someone is making an argument in the first place, though. Doing so can be more productive, or at the least, more interesting. Arguing the same points over and over is boring, why do I want to talk to do brick wall? it's better to try and understand why the person has a brick wall in the first place. If that understanding is reached, then progress can often be made.

When it comes to arguing opinions, I think the previous statement is especially important. Asking someone flat-out for evidence for their opinion will probably make them shutdown, and just argue in circles. So, attempting to understanding why someone has an opinion makes more sense. If the opinion revolves around something more objective, however, asking for evidence makes more sense. Then it becomes more a matter of belief, and if the person believes something that is objectively wrong, such as a misinformed believe about biology or something like that.

Obviously if I'm entering an argument I expect the other person to form coherent, rational beliefs based on evidence or personal experiences. If that person can't provide that then there's really no point in debating/arguing.

Respect is always nice to have in a debate; especially if it's about a controversial or sensitive topic like politics and religion. I try to understand all POV's but there are some things in this world that I just don't agree with and will never understand why people agree with them. The least I can do is offer my respect to them, especially if they provided a methodical argument and rational reasoning.

The last thing I would look for is knowledge. Face it -- you're never going to learn everything by watching just FOX news or just MSNBC. To learn you have to broaden your horizons and experience all aspects of life. Just recently I learned some cool new things about the death penalty that I didn't know before. I wouldn't have ascertained that information if I didn't respectfully participate.

Joy

The Sexy One
I like to be right :P

No but seriously, I think respect is the most important thing. Even if you disagree, I don't care, I like opposing two different viewpoints. As long as you stay polite and respectful, I'll happily argue with you all day. If... that's what you want...

zellinkda

one of many
Everyone likes to be right once in awhile. I always try to think about if it is an arguement I want to get into. If I feel I do need to argue/defend
something, I want to stay to facts, because that helps your arguement greatly. If you know something on the topic at hand, feel free to add your knowledge to the subject. I want to argue with someone who really wants to discuss the topic calmly, someone who doesn't go crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom