• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Was Hylia the Original Sage Number 7?

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
I just randomly entertained the idea then realized how much sense it makes when we consider the evidence put forth in other games.

I use to presume that when they said Hylia forged the Master Sword, they could have easily meant she did so by proxy, using the Sages to do so. However if we want to take it more literally it's very, very possible Hylia was the seventh sage. The sages have been stated to have created the master sword "by the order of a divine voice"; what if this divine voice was their leader? The seventh sage is shown to be the leader of the sages as is shown by Zelda in OoT. However, the seventh sage is given neither a confirmed element nor a symbol of their own.

Sealed_Temple_mural.png

300px-CoS.png

Or is the second part of that statement true?

In nearly every instance we see the Sage's Seal, EVEN by the time of Skyward Sword, it has the Triforce in the center... why? This leaves 7 symbols if we count the Triforce... does the Triforce represent the seventh sage?

Humor the idea Hylia is the seventh sage for a moment.

As the seventh sage, the Triforce would be an all too perfect representation of Hylia. She's the guardian of the Triforce, her weapon, the Goddess/Master Sword, was forged for the explicit purpose of guarding the Triforce, and the entrance to the Triforce's resting place is beneath her statue in Skyward Sword. Hylia has a very strong association with the Triforce... but I noticed something somewhat startling about the Pedestal of Time, which is made in the likeness of the sage's seal. The other sages would get their own element because of the fact that, originally, the other 6 were mere mortals, as well as their own symbol.

180px-OoT_Master_Sword_1.jpg

Where is the Pedestal itself? In the center of the Triforce, which assuming is a representation of Hylia the seventh sage... makes far too much sense. It's Hylia's own weapon being stored there, after all.

So instead of just assuming Hylia created the Goddess Sword by ordering the sages to do so, what if she actually was a Sage- and therefore both Zelda's statement in TP is true and so is Impa's statement that Hylia forged the goddess sword, in the most literal senses.

Additionally, who is not only the (potential) seventh sage but their leader in OoT?

Princess Zelda, Hylia's descendant and therefore her heir.

Your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
It's not impossible. We just don't know. I always though of Hylia more as an overseerer, the people's link to the gods. She is sort of like the Light Spirits from Twilight Princess.
Multiple things about the seventh sage (it usually being Zelda, being seemingly represented by the triforce, etc) all click neatly into place if Hylia is the seventh sage, eerily so. And it lets us take Impa's statement literally instead of it being done by proxy.

Users who are viewing this thread