• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Twilight Realm, Which Version?

Which Version?

• monochromatic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Current

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So we all know the Twilight Realm right? The dark twisted world that lies in contrast to the world of Hyrule, usually associated with dark creatures and themes. In my opinion I thought the Twilight Realm was a a great addition, for me it was one of the best settings we have seen in a Zelda game to date. The dark themes and atmosphere created was uncomparable to most world's in Zelda, the dark and mysterious colour scheme matched with the track really created this dark feeling.

However you may have known about the previous version that was included in early screenshots and even some of the early trailers, this was in fact changed obviously but my question is what version is the better and would you have preferred the earlier version.

rFrvglS.jpg
t09Wi2W.jpg

So the early version shows a clear monochromatic style and the newer version has obviously more colour reminiscent of the hour of Twilight with a mixture of dark and light tones. Clearly the version we saw makes more sense as the Twilight world is meant to be the middle ground between darkness and light. However the black and white does kind of make sense as with white you have the essence of all colours through light but black is essentially a colour with no light, therefore darkness. So actually thinking about it in this manor it does make sense why they originally went for this design.

The question is though; what version do you prefer? In my opinion the black and white theme really could have created this dark scenario where in fact no colours exist except the two present and of course when lifting the Twilight the world would be revealed in its true light and this could give a big sense of achievement. The monochromatic theme would also, in my opinion anyway suit this idea of evil within the world, the sheer listlessness that it would present is fearful in itself. However there is obviously a reason why they changed the style as the world would have looked incredibly bland and I guess we will never get to experience on how effective it could have been.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
So far, I'd say I prefer the new one. The new one looks beautiful while the old one....looks kinda boring.

Z

Zylian

I rather go with the new version as well. I've played twilight princess, and I love the macabre feeling you get. I thing you can only get this feeling when you use colors in such a way, it creates an uneasy feeling.
Black-grey-white creates something scary indeed, but not the twisted feel you're supposed to feel. ( It wouldn't fit the game music either I believe )

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Yes, the existing aesthetic is superior over the black and white placeholder.

It is a more original aesthetic, although it does kinda resemble a sepia hue. I also admire the texture it creates. The way the air shimmers and particles float around makes it feel like being in some sort of viscous goop. It feels whimsical and oppressive at the same time. Almost suffocating.

Midna is right, the Twilight Realm is gorgeous in its own unique way. Although only a Twili can really feel comfortable there.

The monochrome was nice but i couldnt stop and stare at it like i did with the current version. I loved the style of the Twilight Realms, it has texture and was quite ethereal it had great lighting and looked genuinely interesting to me.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I would love to see what's up with the monochrome TRealm. I've a feeling it'd be more monotonous thanks to the monochrome visuals, but perhaps it'd prove to be more surreal? Visuals are only half the battle as far as terrain is concerned - what we actually do with the terrain matters as well. Would Twilight Realm monochrome be a barren land - more so than blood-sucked colors?

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
Well the current actually looks like Twilight, and fits the theme of the Twilight Realm while being very aesthetically pleasing. The black bits of twilight in the air, the hazy way things fade darkly into the distance, the golden-dark-sheen of twilight on everything, not to mention the music.....yes the current twilight Realm is the best.

I prefer the final version. It creates a similar dark atmosphere, but also adds more depth than simple black and white does. Besides, it's colors are closer to true twilight. I enjoyed the images you posted, it's interesting to see the differences from the early development to the finished product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom