• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Comic - The Resistance: Ashei's Story

E

Eggy

so um... around TP's release I had planned to do a doujin about the events that occurred prior to the game with a focus on minda. This prompted me to play through the game several times for research and note-taking in preperation for the doujin.
And it's through one of those multiple play-throughs that I also grew especially fond of the Resistance group that you can find in Telma's tavern (Telma, Ashei, Auru, Shad, and Rusl).
I've always liked the bunch of freedom-fighters, and I was disappointed when Nintendo didn't further explore their potentials despite of already giving them interesting backgrounds to work with.
So when I started doing concept pages for the midna doujin, I also started another project that aims to tell the story of Ashei. The latter was meant to be a non-serious piece - a way of sharpening my skills while preparing for the former, grander project.

Now a few years have passed since then, and the midna project has gone to bust. Surprisingly, however, Ashei's story, which was meant only to be an accompanying piece, had survived my tendency to start things and never finish them.
Since this story had taken me around two years (during which I took a lot of breaks from drawing) to finish, I had drawn it in different styles and mediums.
Also, because of this same reason, there are several problems concerning its consistency.
Nevertheless, I hope you'll still enjoy this piece.

(read from left to right)
(OPEN PICTURES IN NEW TAB OR WINDOW FOR BIGGER VIEW)

Ashei's Story:
p.1
ashei1.jpg

p2
ashei2.jpg

p3
ashei3.jpg

p4
ashei4.jpg

p5
ashei5.jpg

p6
ashei6.jpg

p7
ashei7.jpg

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I wholeheartedly approve!

Backstories for the Resistance! Yay!

I can see how your art style has evolved. You may even want to go back over the early pages to clean them up, to get everything looking consistent. Also, you have a few typos I'm sure a glance-through will catch... There's a major continuity error that I see. At the beginning, don't you have Ashei talking about being trained until she was 13 and coming to Castle Town then, then, at the end, she's talking about the mark a 8-year old girl made in the table?

Otherwise, wonderful. I love your visual take on the characters when they were younger and I like how, though Ashei and Link are "having a chat" to the audience, Link is, much like he is in the game, silent.

Are you going to be doing these for each Group member? I'm very interested to see Shad and Rusl's backstories.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
I could learn a thing or two from this. The comic I'm working on looks like crap in comparison.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
This is a very very very good comic. I am impressed with how your art style improves as it goes on.

You stay true to the personalities of Ashei as the whole thing goes on and make it believable. I would even mistake this as canon if it was. I also like how your backgrounds always have something going on.

Overall, aside from a few typos and consistency errors (Ashei's age) you have written a very good back story for her.

E

Eggy

thanks for the compliments, as for the consistency error...
ya, that age difference really is a huge one... I've been meaning to fix it x_X.

anyway, will there be other stories dealing with the other Resistance members?
well, that is what I was planning to do all along, to make a 4 part saga.
Following Ashei's story would be Shad's story which entails how he joined the Resistance a few years after Ashei did. And Auru's story will take us back to his younger years and illustrate his involvement in the battle of Arbiter's Grounds. With a final "where was the Resistance when Link raided Hyrule Castle" chapter to end the whole thing... (sorry, couldn't think of a good story for Rusl)

I have Shad's story script fleshed out already but... haven't had the time to do it yet...
and with the work just piling on and the eventual release of Zelda wii, I'm just afraid that I'll never get to it x_X;

but in any case, as I mentioned earlier, I did Ashei's story to accompany a doujin project involving midna's trial prior to the events in the game. I ended up scrapping the project, but I did manage to produce draft pages for 2 of the 4 chapters story.
Unlike Ashei's story, these are only drafts, so you'd really have to excuse me for its lack of quality.

(warning: I'll be posting all 36 pages of drafts, image load heavy...)

(also, I should mention, you might find some words of panels repeated around page 5 and 6, this was a mistake made during the drafting stage that I was suppose to have fixed in the final product)

Twilight Princess Doujin - Chapter 1
**(read from left to right)
**(open pictures in new tab or window for better view)

p1
001.jpg

p2
002.jpg

p3
003.jpg

p4
004.jpg

p5
005a.jpg

p6
005.jpg

p7
006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Eggy

p14
0014.jpg
014.jpg

p15
015.jpg

p16
016.jpg

p17
017.jpg

p18
018.jpg

well, that's chapter 1, ehh... I'll rest a bit before posting chapter 2

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Beautiful, I agree. It is a believable and amazing short that feels like I was reading something the creators of Twilight Princess, but at the same time it was not made by them. It was your story and your own way of telling it. It is different from every doujin I have read; instead of simply twisting characters to your own design, you keep them on the ground and in their personalities.

Art- The art is beautiful and well structured. You keep characters on model, and times when I noticed them off model it didn't matter. Each piece of art was done correctly and beautifully.
If you ink it I'd totally, be disappointed and happy, since this is such a beautifully drawn comic.

Characters- For the two canon characters, you kept them intact and true to who they were portrayed as in the games. The OCs who surrounded them were interesting as well. Although I know that they are only OCs, part of me wishes they weren't. It's like Fanon done good.

Either way, you have just done an amazing job with this and I look forward to more of your work. I am your biggest fan... (you got a deviant?)

E

Eggy

thanks, chargewithsword, I do have a deviant account, but due to some reasons I have no way of accessing recently, so updates there have ceased for now.

in any case, here's a cover page that I drew for Ashei's story, it's not completed, and unfortunately I don't think I will finish it anytime soon. Got too much on my hands right now...

asheicoverwip.jpg

E

Eggy

forgot that I have a thread here 8P~
here is the draft of chapter 2 to Midna's Story... way overdue XD

p19
019.jpg

p20
020.jpg

p21
021.jpg

p22
022.jpg

p23
023.jpg

p24
024.jpg

p25
025.jpg

p26
026.jpg

p27
027.jpg

p28
028.jpg

p29
029.jpg

p30
030.jpg

p31-32
031-032.jpg

p33
033.jpg

p34
034.jpg

p35
035.jpg

...and that's the end of chapter 2, where I dropped the project altogether~ XD
the following chapters would illustrate how Zant, with his newly-granted power, starts turning twilis into his shadow assassin minions and invades the twilight palace.
Midna loses the battle, gets turned into an imp, and is imprisoned, while Zant rules the Twilight Realm.
Zant forces Midna to open the Twilight portal and begins to invade Hyrule with his army.
Loc later breaks Midna out of prison and smuggles her through the portal into Hyrule, but dies during the attempt.
Midna turns up in Hyrule and meets Link, and that's where Twilight Princess the game begins.

there! pretty much summarized what I intended to do with the doujin~
had I done it, it would've have been probably 6 chapters long = =
but ah well, I gave it up a long time ago
time to move on to better and grander things~

E

Eggy

thanks for the compliments

I get people telling me to continue with the story a lot, and sometimes I want to do it, too.
but for now, I want to concentrate on the Resistance because I think I have a good story going for it.
Shad's story will be next. I'm doing some character sheet in preparation for it.
(that's the thing with doing a 'xx year before' story... you have to make the characters look differently. coming up with their clothing alone is giving me a headache...)

shadstorychar1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom