• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Times you 'got gud'

So, there are games we suck at and some we're good at. Most of the time though we need to put the work in and learn the mechanics and movesets and physics etc so that games we find difficult at first, like 'Soulslike' games can be finished.

I myself am a Tekken fan but i've always only played on easy and mashed until i got the ending for each character.

Now however, with online being a thing and actually knowing people who have played and ranked high in nationals i have a reason to 'git gud'.

So recently i sat down with TTT2 on wiiU and made it an active mission to learn the mechanics and the nuances etc.

The result was that last night i actually managed to beat a friend 7-15 on Tekken 6 on ps3 and he has played in nationals. I was very happy and now i'm pumped for Tekken 7.

But have there been any times where you've decided to or have had to 'git gud' to finish a game you really wanted to finish?

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
It took me years to beat Kingdom Hearts 1. It was the first RPG game I ever played, so I wasn't too familiar with the concept of having to level up throughout the game. Due to that, I was under leveled going into the final boss fight and didn't even think of going back and leveling up more. Instead I tried beating it over and over, and finally gave up out of frustration. I didn't try again until a couple of years later, and finally after a few tries I managed to beat it even at my lower level. I learned my lessen from that, so I was a lot better playing the other KH games and have had a much easier time with them.

I also got pretty good at Splatoon (not amazing, but fairly decent) even though I absolutely suck at other shooters.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Soul Calibur 5 springs to mind. It was too expensive to keep rage throwing controllers so I had to get good enough to win most of my online matches.

Mido

Version 1
Perhaps my most fond attempt of "gitting gud" was completing Star Fox Adventures back in 2015. I was unable to beat Andross back nearly ten years ago at the time during my first playthrough, so it was mighty rewarding to see myself having grown as a player in that game to finally defeat him. Still stands as the most difficult Andross fight in the series in my opinion.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Ganon on the 3DS version of OoT, Forest Temple version cuz I wanted to be a kid again but you need to do him to kid up and my bro wouldn't do him......

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I used to be pretty bad at smash, but after playing with my roommate pretty much weekly for the past year, I've begun to really recognize patterns in characters movesets and started learning how to surprise the opponents, so I like to think I've gotten to be relatively good at the game! Still have a long way to go to be really good at it, but I can at least match up with people who I could never beat before.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Zelda 2, and a collection of other Zelda games I minimalisted (didn't minimalist Zelda 2 lol needed to get gud just to beat it)

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
So, there are games we suck at and some we're good at. Most of the time though we need to put the work in and learn the mechanics and movesets and physics etc so that games we find difficult at first, like 'Soulslike' games can be finished.

I myself am a Tekken fan but i've always only played on easy and mashed until i got the ending for each character.

Now however, with online being a thing and actually knowing people who have played and ranked high in nationals i have a reason to 'git gud'.

So recently i sat down with TTT2 on wiiU and made it an active mission to learn the mechanics and the nuances etc.

The result was that last night i actually managed to beat a friend 7-15 on Tekken 6 on ps3 and he has played in nationals. I was very happy and now i'm pumped for Tekken 7.

But have there been any times where you've decided to or have had to 'git gud' to finish a game you really wanted to finish?

I have T3-2 as well

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
The closest example would be with platform games like Super Mario World. I wasn't very good at the game, but I just kept trying over the years until I could beat it.

But in general, I tend to be more the sort of person that sticks to their comfort zone and genres like RPG and Action-Adventure. There was an RPG recently called Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE that was kind of tough because I didn't understand some of the mechanics in the game. But that really didn't require a huge effort. Just realizing that I had to level up all of my party evenly, that I had to use strategy and not just level for hours, and understanding the Fire Emblem-style weapon weaknesses. It maybe took me a few extra days near the middle of the game to get good.

Breath of the Wild may actually be the first game that I'm going to have to force myself to improve in order to beat.

Won a computer in 2002 in a Counter Strike tournament. Was very famous in the Milwaukee area.

Was top 1% in Starcraft 2 when I played, beating a few famous players and small tournaments.

Have been traveling the US for Tekken (mostly midwest) for the last 14 years and was at my peak 4th best in Wisconsin (but there are a lot of good players here so that's pretty decent). I am still doing the Tekken thing, and I will be playing in a Tekken 7 tournament in IL next weekend ( https://combobreaker.org/ ). I'm a very solid Tekken player, probably top 10% of seriously players. Come at me @Spirit . lolol but for real hit me up.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Halo: Reach solo on Legendary is no joke and it kicked my ass so hard on the first level that I quit for a couple of years. But after having done the same in Halo 4, I decided it was time to go back and git gud and gud I got.

I also had to git gud for Horde Mode in Gears of War 3. It was said to be impossible even on the easiest difficulty without having a full party of players, but somehow, my brother and I still completed all 50 waves. Many epic ass-clenching moments were had.

Mido

Version 1
Halo: Reach solo on Legendary is no joke and it kicked my ass so hard on the first level that I quit for a couple of years. But after having done the same in Halo 4, I decided it was time to go back and git gud and gud I got.

I also had to git gud for Horde Mode in Gears of War 3. It was said to be impossible even on the easiest difficulty without having a full party of players, but somehow, my brother and I still completed all 50 waves. Many epic ass-clenching moments were had.

That is just awesome! In the past, I've only finished Winter Contingency on Legendary on my own. Took me a good hour+ to finish the mission alone. Glad to see you conquered the whole thing! What was the most difficult mission?

Doing all 50 horde waves was a good time; although I had the luxury of a 4-player group. I can't quite remember what difficulty we had it on though.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
That is just awesome! In the past, I've only finished Winter Contingency on Legendary on my own. Took me a good hour+ to finish the mission alone. Glad to see you conquered the whole thing! What was the most difficult mission?

Doing all 50 horde waves was a good time; although I had the luxury of a 4-player group. I can't quite remember what difficulty we had it on though.

I can't recall a specific level, but each level had like at least 1 or 2 areas that really take up time. You're going to need extreme patience, use every weapon at your disposal, and some serious strategy to get through Legendary. It was so stressful and time consuming that I had to take it a level a day.

Oh, it was definitely a good time and very satisfying. There were so many epic moments during our journey to 50 waves. I remember my brother got killed and I had to fight 2 berserkers by myself and won. Then there's moments where one of us is downed in a horrible spot, just for one of us to make the save and keep the fight going. It was so intense but rewarding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom