• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Thoughts on the Doctor Who Christmas Special

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
So, the Doctor Who Christmas special has come and past. And I know there are quite a few people who watch Doctor Who on this board, and I was curious on your thoughts....

I myself was rather disappointed in this... Especially considering this is literally all we have seen of Doctor Who in 2016.

Doctor Who definitely takes a lot of inspiration from other stories and media. That's absolutely part of the series.... But this particular episode, felt, completely ripped off without any of the Doctor Who charm. This felt exactly like a Superman film, and a rather lackluster one at that, with cliche's all around the corner. The absolute best part of Doctor Who is that it uses these clichés to their advantage, and completely turns it on its head.

For example, within Matt's Smith Christmas Special, A Christmas Carol, uses this to tell us a story of Scrooge.... But The Doctor completely turns everything on its head by going back in time, and changing the events of his life so that he falls in love. The film then completely takes a turn and experiments the values of love, and why love is better than death.

Even Capaldi's prior Christmas Special did a lot in conveying a final song to a well loved character. It had a lot of heart, even though it had a few flaws. And especially the one before that, was absolutely amazing and turned into an Inception-like tale using Santa Claus and magic.

But the Return of Doctor Mysterio did none of these things. Hell, the Doctor is barely even involved in this episode, doing nothing but starting the Ghosts journey, and steering a ship. Which, is not a bad thing in itself. Blink, for example,
was fantastic for this very reason. However, none of the side characters had any personality that truly stood out, nor were the villains interesting at all. This all left with an entire 90 minutes that was just "Blah blah blah", while entirely being a Superman clone.

I got to be honest, I am totally not a fan of this episode... And this was probably one of my least favorite episodes that have happened between both Tennant, Smith, and Capaldi. It was just.... Too predictable, didn't have any good characters besides the doctor(which was heavily underutilized), and it didn't really have a good plot either.

However, what did you think of this Christmas Special forum dwellers?

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
It's all we've seen of Doctor Who in the states at least. The rest of the world got Class, while we Americans have to wait till the next season of Doctor Who to come out to see it.

I did enjoy it though. It was nice to see Nardol with a slightly bigger role than last year, though he did bring about some feels with mentioning River. I look forward to the next season. Too bad I don't have Dish anymore so now I'll have to dig around to find it.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I saw it today. I had no time to watch it on Saturday evening. I didn't really like it. The female character was boring as hell and annoyed me. It was more like I was watching another Marvel story with the Doctor making an appearance. The former Christmas episodes (although I didn't like the first Capaldi Christmas episode either) were better. Way better.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
Caught up on this last night and I have to say it was quite disapointing. I always get high expectations when I see that Moffat has wriiten an episode because he usually either scares the **** out of you or puts in some very interesting turns. Personally I think the series is taking a bit of a nose dive since Capaldi took over... I'm not saying he's bad as the doctor I actually quite like him, but the writing just seems to have trailed slightly. Lets hope the new series makes up for the special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom