• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Thoughts on Bird-men

So today I was working and my mind was just really wondering into a bunch of weird non sequiturs and errant thoughts, and I started to form some odd bridges between known relationships to stuff in Zelda. So bear with me. These are just thoughts to spitball. I have no backup claims of voracity. I have not done any research. There are likely people who give waaaaay more of a crap about things like theories or series canon than I do who may be able to interject with some nugget of knowledge that may reinforce these. But honestly, please don't beat up on any of what I say here. The only thing that stops these from being drunken musings is the fact that I don't drink.

Idea one: Breath of the Wild may have some connection to Adventure of Link.

Okay so the recently revealed bird people have had many Zelda fans buzzing, and everyone is quick to point out their similarities and differences to the Rito. But so far I've yet to hear anyone mention that there was actually another race of bird people in a Zelda game long before the Rito ever showed themselves. In Adventure of Link, bird-men called Fokkas swarm the Great Palace. They are fierce and cunning fighters. But the Great Palace, it should be remembered, was not some bastion of Ganon but rather a final trial created for the purpose of testing the Hero. So it's possible that fearsome as they were to Link, they are in a sense allies of the Hylians. It sorta makes sense, as birds seem to be A Thing for the Goddess. And Hylians seem to emulate birds in much of their royal and holy symbols and architecture.

Idea two: The Shiekah are a product of Fokkas

By this I don't mean they are genetic offspring, but rather that they are some sort of sect that sprang out of contact with/teachings of the bird men. It is possible the Shiekah were granted knowledge and technology that allowed them to guide and support the fledgling Hylians.

Idea three: There is another Nintendo race of bird like creatures with a history of benevolence towards other races...

What if Shiekah are descendants of/disciples of the Chozo? That'd be kinda weird, right? I mean the Chozo existed forever, have a tendency to be revered as gods by the less developed races they interacted with, tend to bestow advanced technology on those races, build things or have things built in their likenesses, and at one point in their cultural history were renowned warriors. I mean, this whole chain of ideas has a sort of Chariot of the Gods vibe going for it, and I kinda like that.

anyway, if I'd been able to write these down as I thought of them there's a chance they would feel more cohesive, but it's been a very long day and this is all you get.

P.S. I'm aware that according to the official Zelda timeline, AoL is one of the last games chronologically, but in order to give a **** about that, I'd have to put some stock in Official Timeline. And I don't. So..... yeah.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
I've seen the connection to Fokkas before. It's certainly possible, and could indicate that Aonuma's goal is to model certain aspects of Breath of the Wild after both NES games, not just the first one.

Idea two makes sense too, as the series has always reserved a kind of holiness for sky people, and the Sheikah may have wanted to emulate it.

I don't have any knowledge about Metroid, though.

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
I've seen the connection to Fokkas before. It's certainly possible, and could indicate that Aonuma's goal is to model certain aspects of Breath of the Wild after both NES games, not just the first one.

Idea two makes sense too, as the series has always reserved a kind of holiness for sky people, and the Sheikah may have wanted to emulate it.

I don't have any knowledge about Metroid, though.

On the first note- doesnt BotW bring back exp in some form or is that a baseless claim that's been floating around?

Not to mention AoL has a connection to an ancient sea that seems to have at one point covered North of Hyrule based on FSA's map

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom