• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Value of a Box & Contents

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
A box... for some reason everything in the gaming industry comes in boxes; from games to consoles.
The question is, what is its value?

In The Game

A game that comes in atractive box, it surely has more hope to be sold, you wouldnt buy between two games the one with box that even hurts to see or has too many things shown, you would pick the simlpe one that doesnt spoil the game
white-knight-chronicles-box-260x300.jpg
petzfashion--article_image.jpg

Now being honest, between the two above what would you pick? Dont take in mind if you have played the game, you have heard of it, but just for box art. The answer is obvious, the left one. The right one is too colorful and even if is ment to be a game of fashion its too much, but thats my opinion.

Perhaps you did like the right one, that is the value of a box, you liked it because you just did.

Now for what is inside the box, the game itself. It doesnt really matter how the CD looks, but it certainly is the first impression you get from the game, even you dont see it at the beggining, you will eventually see it, and probably smile or say "ugh"
Super_Mario_Galaxy_2_CD.jpg
(Sorry for image size)

Super Mario Galaxy 2, great game, horrible disc. Dont get me wrong, the game is awesome, but the disc has many imperfectures, like the Wii logo is not really easy to read and they added a lot of stuff: Yoshi, Toad, Lumas, Bunnies, Penguins, Power Ups... I could go endlessly to it.

In The Console

If there is something more exciting than opening a video game, is opening a console.

Yes, probably once you open it you throw it away and never see it again, but what when your coming back from the store or they just gave it to you as a present? You cant stop looking at it; you move, you look, you read, you smile...that is the happiness a box does.

I cannot say of a box that is ugly, they made me happy and never saw them again, but simplicity adds to the thrill...For an example Ill show the newest Nintendo
images
Simple, you see the 3DS and thats it (aside from health warning and features in the back). But to read what it does, and have it in your hands, and see it again and read it again, that is what makes us smile.

That is the true value of a box.
How do you see the value of a box and whatever it has inside...?

jugglaj91

I am me....
I generally don't go into boxes like you have. I buy the things I know I want regardless of looks. I do tend to read some backs of games wen I may be looking for a new one but I generally get amped for certain titles and know all I can before purchase.

Djinn

and Tonic
There is definitely something to the art of the box a product comes in, poor box art or a simply plain box will lead a buyer to believe the product is inferior. Or presented from a less than reputable retailer. If a PSP was in a plain, unmarked cardboard box, then I might not believe it is a legit purchase of a retail item. Or if I was actually buying from a real dealer. It sounds like something found in a flea market. Package art is one of the cornerstones behind graphic design and a huge aspect of advertising. Obviously people are more willing to purchase something that stands out and catches their attention. Except for certain things like Halo 2 collector's edition, which came in a completely plain silver case with the logo on the front. Buyers knew exactly what it was and would purchase it anyway regardless if what the case it came in looked like simply because it was a special edition that fans would recognize, know all about and want for the content alone.

However this is not always the case. There have been a few occasions of really fun games that came in some very terrible boxes.
megaman_box.jpg

However this is almost common in the NES and SNES era. There were images on the cover box that had little to nothing to do with the game at all. Even characters that looked almost nothing like the characters in the game.

The art on the disk itself I can do without anyway. It only seems necessary so you can tell which side is the top. After that, you have already purchased the game, you are already sold on the design and the flash. Is anyone going to buy/rent a game, take it home and immediately decide not to play it because the art on the top of the disk is bad? No, especially not when the game itself is sitting in your hands, and if it is outside the box then obviously you are about to put it into a console.

With that said I very rarely if ever make too many purchases, especially games, based on the flash of the cover art. With a console, I would mostly want it to not look used or stolen, so at least some sort of design or logo on the box. And pictures I would not really care about, except maybe for come content pics on the back if it is a game I have not heard about yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom