• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Nintendo Direct News And Discussion Thread

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
Get ready for a Breath of the Wild 2 delay with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remaster ports as an apology.
I wouldn't actually mind that much.

The Wii-U didn't really sell well as a console, so those HD remasters didn't get as much play time as they should've since low console sales means low game sales.
Even I didn't get a Wii-U until I came across one for $60 at a local game store in my city.
Plus, the HD Port of TP to the Nintendo Switch would HOPEFULLY get rid of those Hylian Alphabet Stamps that took up chests in the dungeons.
Annoying to go out of your way off the beaten path because you see a chest on your map and all of a sudden... Hylian Letter P is your reward.:fpalm:

Personally tho... I would prefer something I like to call... The Legend of Zelda: N64 HD Collection !
Basically, take Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D, upscale the graphics and textures, fix Deku Link and Zora Link's terrible movement problems from MM3D, add a Master Quest mode to Majora's Mask, and then sell them together on the switch.

So this means 2022 is the first year since 2012 without a Zelda release if I'm not mistaken. I think it's good for the franchise to take a break before such a major release. I feel like Tears of the Kingdom is still shrouded in a lot of mystery, which I'm totally okay with. Can't wait for May.

Pikmin 4 was arguably the second biggest announcement. I enjoyed what I played of 3 on the Wii U, so I'll probably pick it up eventually.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe is also on my radar. It's a very good Kirby game, and a lot of people passed on it, since it was one of the Wii's last games, so I hope more people experience it.

Fire Emblem Engage is whatever. The nostalgia pandering is the best aspect to me so far.

Still hyped for Bayonetta 3 and Mario+Rabbids Sparks of Hope.

Octopath Traveler 2 was the big third party announcement for me. Nice to know the first one succeeded enough for this to become a franchise.

Also, I'm happy for Fatal Frame fans that they are not forgotten.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
So this means 2022 is the first year since 2012 without a Zelda release if I'm not mistaken. I think it's good for the franchise to take a break before such a major release. I feel like Tears of the Kingdom is still shrouded in a lot of mystery, which I'm totally okay with. Can't wait for May.

Pikmin 4 was arguably the second biggest announcement. I enjoyed what I played of 3 on the Wii U, so I'll probably pick it up eventually.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe is also on my radar. It's a very good Kirby game, and a lot of people passed on it, since it was one of the Wii's last games, so I hope more people experience it.

Still hyped for Bayonetta 3 and Mario+Rabbids Sparks of Hope.

Octopath Traveler 2 was the big third party announcement for me. Nice to know the first one succeeded enough for this to become a franchise.

Also, I'm happy for Fatal Frame fans that they are not forgotten.
It is so incredibly weird to see botw 2 not referred to as botw 2. That threw me for a loop for a second lol.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
New Fire Emblem looks hype. I played a lot of A Wonderful Life when I was a kid so I was probably one of the 5 people hyped about that announcement. Kirby remake is cool but I know they are gonna charge full price for a Wii game. It’s about damn time they announced Pikmin 4. Tears of the Kingdom is a cringe name but I kind of like it. I feel like they are gonna do a Zelda direct in winter since it’s coming out in May.

That’s all I cared about from the direct personally but I thought it was pretty good compared to the others this year lol

What I really wanna know is if the Fell Dragon in FE Engage is supposed to be Grima from Awakening or someone else. I haven't played enough of the pre-Awakening Fire Emblems to know if any of the other 'evil dragons' were called that. I want to say they weren't but someone more knowledgeable will probably have to answer that for me. Dunno what to make of it but I was always kind of wondering/hoping if Grima would be revisited after him getting that cool origin story drop in FE Echoes. Seemed weird to include that if they didn't intend to follow up on it and do something with it later.

But I really don't like how the game looks like a console gacha game. The returning past lords seems really excessive. That'll be really messy and hard to take seriously.

MW7

I'm super happy with the Nintendo Switch Online news. Goldeneye, the Pokemon Stadium games, and Mario Party games are all ones I really wanted. DK 64 is the only game I've been expecting that still isn't in the pipeline.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Can't wait to relive my childhood with Pokemon Stadium. :3

Other than that, it was pretty good, as far as Directs go. I love how much attention is going into the Rune Factory series now, and I'm excited about the remake of my favorite farming game EVER, A Wonderful Life (originally a Harvest Moon title but now Story of Seasons). There was a lot of variety in the Direct and all the games looked fun, even ones that don't usually interest me. Hoping 2023 is an amazing year for Nintendo!

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Good direct.

I'm mixed on Fire Emblem: Engage for a few reasons. The art style and character designs remind me heavily of Fates, Heroes, and the first Warriors game. I don't care much for that at all, but it's what it is. Also not happy about the return of the same kind of hub world shenanigans that bloated Three Houses' playtime. Best I can tell, it's gonna work similarly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That said, it's new Fire Emblem. I'm excited to see what it will end up being even if I have my reservations. Can't speak to its quality until I play it for myself, more or less.

Love seeing the OG farming sim series (and offshoots of it) get new releases and remakes/remasters. I'm very hyped for both Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life and Rune Factory 3 Special. Harvestella is an exception to the whole OG series thing but it looks super nicely made, so I'm looking forward to that too. All the others are painfully generic at a glance. Felt like filler compared to the main attractions.

What else can I say but it's about damn time for Pikmin 4. Knowing that the main series hasn't been forgotten or put on the shelf is great.

Tales of Symphonia remaster is great. Older games being brought to new systems is never a bad thing, and I personally wanted to play Symphonia at some point. Having it on Switch will make that a lot more convenient. The battling did seem like it was 30fps in the trailer, so I'm curious if that will be changed or if it was just some stream deal, especially since Vesperia on Switch had battles at 60fps. Symphonia being from a generation prior should make a 60fps cap even easier, I'd assume.

And lastly, Tears of the Kingdom's name and date announcement is neato. Disappointed at no Zelda ports yet, but eh, with TotK still a ways away, could be held back as a way of holding fans over till then or something. Idk.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I heard a rumor that they're doing away with the New Super Mario Bros. series and replacing it with something new.

Also it's supposedly going to be a very GameCube oriented direct.

Don't really have many expectations, but I can always hope for a Miitopia sequel.
reminder that w/ any rumor, just assume it's full of **** until there's an actual announcement

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
not too much in this direct I'm jazzed about, for sure Pikmin 4 and whatever Fire Emblem that is are the highlights for me

THEATRHYTHM FINAL BAR LINE was a good surprise why didn't they mention Xenogears songs dang it, and the remasters for Kirby Return to Dream Land and Tales of Symphonia are welcomed too, especially since I haven't played those yet

there's other smaller stuff too like Pauline in Strikers, the N64 games, and finally seeing Tears of the Kingdom, but not a lot beyond that

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Fire Emblem Engage looks really lame, ngl. Nostalgia pandering too hard. That's what the first Warriors game and Heroes are for. This looks like it'll just be Heroes but for console.

Happy to see Rune Factory 3 get a switch edition. Great and deserving game. Not sure I'll get it since 5 burned me out pretty hard, but I'm happy nonetheless. Also happy the series will be continuing.

Bayonetta 3 continues to look good. I still need to preorder it but I might hold off for a while.

Botw 2 titledrop as Tears of the Kingdom is very interesting and super exciting. Nice to finally have a name for the game! The new gameplay elements they showed got me super stoked, and the new story teases are very intriguing. May 12 lets gooooooo. (still wondering how that name is a plot spoiler tho lol)

That about sums up my direct experience. Not a lot of good stuff for me, but Zelda is the clear highlight here. That and farming simulator memes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom