• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Imprisoned in Ocarina of Time?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I do not know if this has been mentioned before or in this section but I would certainly like you guys to discuss the possibility of The Imprisoned being in Ocarina of Time.

I came across this a few weeks ago and to be honest I didn't know what to make of it....What I am referring to is the small drawings seen in on Links house in Kokiri Forest (OoT). To me this drawing seemed out of place and many seen it as a reference to Godzilla however maybe it is a reference to something else. In Skyward Sword we come across a dark evil call the Imprisoned, a very weird boss to say the least I will save the spoilers just in case....

Here's a couple of pics to compare:

800px-The_Imprisoned_Round_2_SS-300x220.png
tumblr_m8x2loibn41qjhsaj.jpg

Now there are some very distinct similarities as you can see both visually look very similar. First off both are in a similar stance, hand and leg features look very similar, the mouth of both of the creatures also look quite alike. Now I know the picture I showed you of Imprisoned doesn't have a tail but I can assure you that later version of the Imprisoned does indeed have a tail.

One other thing I noticed is the fact that there seems to be a small outline of what seems to be a hero fighting the beast like figure, could this be Link? Notice as well that the figure on the drawing is holding is sword up high, like Link does in Skyward Sword. Could this be a drawing of a tale passed down though the ages of Hyrule of Link from Skyward Sword batteling with the Imprisoned? Another point I thought I would make is that this battle with the Imprisoned takes place within the Sealed Grounds which is located by the Faron Province, so maybe the tale was passed down through the Forest. One idea I had in mind that Groose either went into the forest and made a drawing of the epic battle between Link and the Imprisoned.

I know that this theory is mainly based on speculation but I just wanna know what you guys think :)

Last edited:

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Intresting the devil is in the details but i find it hard to belive it to intentinal the one in OoT is just a generic kids depiction of a moster.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I've thought about this drawing, and I have certain ideas about it. First of all, I believe its done by Link. I never saw any evidence to suggest otherwise. You could say "Groose did it" but considering OoT came out so much time earlier than SS and that Nintendo isn't very good at keeping continuity, I don't believe this was planned to be connected with their eventual prequel. I can accept the possibility that Nintendo remembered the drawing from OoT and decided to roll with it. The drawing is indeed very similar to the concept of the Imprissoned. If there is a connection between the drawing and the Imprissoned, it was made by looking at the drawing and coming up with something.

I never took much thought to the drawing until I heard a youtuber by the name chuggaconroy talk about it. He mentioned that Link probably felt down because he didn't have a fairy like the rest of his kokiri and this drawing was symbolism of how he wanted to feel important. Given how Link is separated from the rest of his village, this is a pretty believable theory. I also believe that it could be foreshadowing. Though Ganon in OoT doesn't necessarily look like the drawing, Link eventually does become a hero and does have to fight monsters. I believe the drawing to be either those... or just a drawing. They're a bunch of kids living in the woods so finding a drawing like this doesn't necessarily have to mean anything. I did drawings like this all the time as a kid.

So I don't believe it's impossible for the drawing to be the Imprissoned, but its highly unlikely. Though the two images are similar, given Nintendo's history with continuity, I'm not convinced.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I've always thought that it was a picture of King Dodongo, considering that the beast is dinosaur shaped and the boy has a fairy.
Of course, that would mean Link had a premonition of the battle.

I think that it is mere coincidence that the pic and imprisoned resemble each other.
It would seem odd that Nintendo would base an enemy off the drawing on the tree.

Deeds

no text
That's a very good find. I'm suprised I haven't heard about this before. I doubt that this is true, but it's really interesting. The more I think about it, though, the more it could be true. They could've thought about an imprisoned type of monster when making OoT, but didn't decide to have it in the game... until Skyward Sword. This is pretty cool, I'll have to think about it more.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I thought it was a dinosaur and a caveman lol...

I don't think Groose drew it. If he did, by the time of OoT, the drawing wouldn't be visible. It would be weathered and erased, the two games take place too far apart. So either it's there because the story got passed down enough, or Link drew it, hoping to someday be a hero.

I think that's an awesome theory with real potential validity. If the makers of the game have known the timeline since OoT, it's very possible that this was placed there as a reference. I believe that hardly any details (especially small, yet intricate like this one) are placed in the games without a purpose. I think this is really cool!

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I heard it was an homage to Mario and Bowser. That would make sense when put alongside the hidden pictures in the castle. Anyway, it couldn't be the Imprisoned because the creature is clearly a lizard or dinosaur put in a game made years before Demise was even thought of.

S

snilges

I really don't think that the drawing is of the Imprisoned, because even a series as well thought out as the Zelda series is unlikely to show a subliminal sneak peek of a boss from a game that was not going to be released until 14 years in the future. When I played this game once I did see this drawing, and I did marvel at it for a while, but then I just left without thinking much of it. As you mentioned, the monster in the drawing does have a tail, and the Imprisoned doesn't. I think that it looks like a dodongo. Looking further into the subject, let's travel to Dodongo's cavern. When you walk in, you immediately see in the look-around shot that there is what appears to be a giant dodongo fossil. When you venture onto the second floor platform, there is a stone with a poem inscribed on the front. It reads...

Giant dead Dodongo...
when it sees red,
a new way to go
will be open.

This is a strange poem, and when you see it the first time, you see that it obviously is a clue to get to the next part of the dungeon, but it also gives some history. This confirms that the tunnel in the mouth of the giant monster is not a statue, but indeed a giant dead dodongo. So how does this tie to the picture on the tree? Well the most reasonable answer is that the person in the picture is not Link. It was the last Hero of Time. Maybe he lived in that house as well, or was an ancestor of Link. The picture shows the Hero of Time battling a giant Dodongo many years ago, risking his life to save the Gorons from the beast, and then eventually killing it. The dodongo died and left his body, which was preserved in the dungeon and became the giant fossil we see in the cavern today. The Hero of Time wanted to make his victory known, so he inscribed his rendering of the battle on the tree of which he was living in, so his predecessors could see what he had done and hope to follow in his footsteps. Link probably knows this , but since he is a silent protagonist, we will never know for sure.

That is just my opinion though, and it could be true, but it could be not. That is the beauty of theory.

An interesting idea. It could be someone at Nintendo saw this image on the tree and decided to base Link battling the Imprisoned on this. I'm sure it's probably meant to be something else, like foreshadowing to Link battling Ganon or something but they decided to make the Imprisoned and retcon this idea.
It's an interesting theory.

It's just a silly child's drawing. Hell... I can't even begin to count how many times I've drawn some random hero, or myself as a hero, battling a fearsome beast--such as the reptilian creature seen on the illustration on the tree--as a kid. However, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to retcon the image into a [SS] Link facing The Imprisoned; quite interesting if that were the case...

I swear, the things that incite people to compose theories... lol

I'm pretty sure it's just some scribblings of Link's because he's so sad of being left out and wants the other Kokiri to look up to him instead of looking down. Also The Great Deku Tree says Link had been having premonitions for many nights before he was summoned perhaps it is King Dodongo or Ganon (you can't really think about what it really looks like because remember it's a tree carving by a child not a watercolor portrait by Michaelangelo) It's a kid with a fairy fighting a monster. I don't think Nintendo intended this to reference anything at all except perhaps the downfall timeline if they had thought of it before the game which I'm not totally sure they did but I won't argue that. I will say if any connection can be drawn it that The Imprisoned looks like the drawing NOT the reverse.

Imprisoned

*~German Sparkle Party~*
I'm everywhere, aren't I?
*Teeheelol*
No, I think that this seems POSSIBLY probable...
I never noticed this. I like it, but go figure.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I always thought the drawing was Link fighting Ganon, maybe a drawing from one of the disturbing dreams he'd had which are mentioned at the start of OoT.
However, this theory could still be right because Ganon is the spirit of Demise's hatred. So by and large, Ganon and The Imprisoned are the same thing. However, they do take different forms and I would say the drawing resembles the Ganon form more than the Demise- supposing Ganon is just Demise with the Triforce of Power.
I do think this is a good theory though.

But the last closest thing to the 'Hero of Time' was Link in Skyward Sword... so aren't you contradicting yourself by saying it can't be a psychic premonition of a game that hadn't been released yet?

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I highly doubt it. I think it's just a coincidence.

It's possible that the design was base off it, but I doubt that.

I just don't think the put that in planning on it being a reference to a later game in the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom