• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The first time you played Super Mario Bros

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
One of the most important games ever that's always referenced by Nintendo and has been re-released numerous times. So the question is when was the first time any of you have played it? Was it through virtual console, emulation, NSO, or some other form? And if you haven't played it....why?

And bear in mind I'm talking the first Super Mario Bros, though other variants of it like Deluxe and All-Stars can count.

My first experience of it was on a bootleg NES plug n play, pretty sure it was something like the Power Play Super Joy III or whatever. Say what you will about those knock off consoles, but I wouldn't have played Super Mario Bros or various other NES games w/o it. Either way, I definitely remember getting as far as world 8 at some point as a kid, but I never actually beat it. It wouldn't be until I bought Deluxe off a friend during high school that I'd beat the first game.

OGSniper

Sharpshooter for Hire
ZD Champion
Growing up, the littler kids in my family would get the older consoles, so I would always be stuck with the NES. We had the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt cartridge, so I have played it since I was like 5. I haven't beat it though. I would have to pull out my Deluxe cartridge at some point.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Growing up, the littler kids in my family would get the older consoles, so I would always be stuck with the NES. We had the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt cartridge, so I have played it since I was like 5. I haven't beat it though. I would have to pull out my Deluxe cartridge at some point.
Same situation here. The NES belonged to my oldest brother but we were allowed to play it growing up because he was too busy with his N64 anyway. I don't have any real memory of playing my first game, let alone the first time I played Super Mario Bros. It wasn't exactly a special game for me since by the time I was born, there was an NES and a Sega Genesis in the house already. Super Mario Bros. for me was just another game in my brother's stack and while we played it a lot, especially for Duck Hunt, I have much more fond memories with Super Mario Bros. 3. But eventually, he traded all the old stuff.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
When I was growing up my first ever console was the SNES and I had a copy of Super Mario All Stars with Super Mario World on it so pretty early on I was playing it. I didn't end up finishing it until many years later but I got there eventually.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
First version I remember playing was on the Wii VC back when. I never got far but I had some fun with it. Only ended up beating it later on the Switch NSO of all things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom