• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spin-off series you enjoy more than the mainline series

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
Final Fantasy

The First game was great, but every spin-off since then has been an upgrade that surpassed the original in just about every way (except XIII... ... we try our best to forget that muddled 'trilogy' of the Fabula Nova Chrysalis continuity... Type-0 was fun tho).

One of my favorites of all the Spin-Offs has to be Final Fantasy VI, followed close behind by FFVII, FFIX, FF Crystal Chronicles, FF Tactics, and FFII.

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Donkey Kong Country is a lot more fun than Donkey Kong.
hm, not too sure it applies, I think when nintendo references the chronological release of DK games, they have the original arcade games and then go into the country games as though it's the same series

and heck what's up w/ mario vs donkey kong? the game boy remake of arcade DK was the predecessor to mario vs donkey kong, would that make it the "main" DK games? weird thought

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Here's a shallow hot take: Sword Art Online's spinoff Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online. Other than being in the running for most tedious anime title ever, it's a spin-off that dumps the main premise of sword art online and focuses on the game-y parts of the franchise. Additionally, it dumps the whole weird harem chosen one thing that the original series insists on dragging along like a desecrated corpse.

I suck at platformers, so while I enjoy most Mario games and appreciate old school Megaman, I do prefer the Mario RPGs as well as the Battle Network games. Too bad about Mario & Luigi getting discontinued (but good I’ve yet to play most) and sucks what travesty Paper Mario has become.

Not quite the same as a spin-off but I love the Metroid Prime games. Super is great but the controls are a sticking point for me. Dread is a bit better and it’s a lot tougher to say which I liked more.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
The only one that comes to mind for me is Persona but to be fair I’ve never played a Shin Megami Tensei game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom