• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Should the Master Sword Return?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Depends on the plot. If Ganondorf or some new incarnation of Demise's hatred is the villian, yes, I think the Master Sword should be in the game. If there is no need for it I guess we won't really need it in the game. I think we will see it though either way.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
just as long as they don't rehash the forumla of getting the 3 magical whatevers then get the sword,it doesn't matter if it shows up or not to me
the way link b/w worlds handled it was appalling...to me anyway

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Captain America without his shield? Thor without his hammer? Indiana Jones without his whip? Bond without his Walther? Luke without his lightsaber?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Captain America without his shield? Thor without his hammer? Indiana Jones without his whip? Bond without his Walther? Luke without his lightsaber?
The difference is that Link is without the master sword in over half of Zelda games.

Let's see:
LoZ
AoL
LA
MC
MM
FS
FSA
PH
ST
OoS
OoA
TFH

Compared to:
OoT
WW
ALttP
TP
SS
ALBW

Yeah....
The Master Sword really isn't that prevalent in the Zelda series overall. They have made do without, and it works so long that structure it correctly.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
As I'm hoping to see the return of Ganondorf/Ganon as the main antagonist, the Master Sword is a must-have weapon! Though if another villain were to be chosen, I wouldn't be opposed to another weapon or item taking the spotlight.

Reactions: Dio
The difference is that Link is without the master sword in over half of Zelda games.

Let's see:

LA
MC
MM
FS
FSA
PH
ST

TFH

Compared to:
Loz
AoL

OoT
WW
ALttP
TP
SS
ALBW
OoS
OoA

Well,

while not being the Master Sword, there was definitely a Master Sword in Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages.

Also, while it is kind of just a theory, it's likely that the Magical Sword from The Hyrule Fantasy and The Adventure of Link is in fact The Master Sword, and before you bring up Hyrule Warriors, it is still noncanon and most likely only used the Magical Sword as the third tier Hylian Sword because of the Master Sword already being the legendary blade and its own weapon.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Well,

while not being the Master Sword, there was definitely a Master Sword in Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages.

Also, while it is kind of just a theory, it's likely that the Magical Sword from The Hyrule Fantasy and The Adventure of Link is in fact The Master Sword, and before you bring up Hyrule Warriors, it is still noncanon and most likely only used the Magical Sword as the third tier Hylian Sword because of the Master Sword already being the legendary blade and its own weapon.
The magic sword is not the master sword, for many reasons.

First is the fact that the Master Sword is always in its pedistal when not in use by Link. Why the hell would a creepy old man in a cave just carry around the master sword?

These two swords also look radically different. We know that the Master Sword has never changed its appearance in its hilt. That's just it.

The fact still is that there is absolutely no evidence to support the magic sword is the master sword. Why would it be? It looks different, has a different purpose, and it's canonically incorrect.

The oracle games... I can maybe give you. But those are the equivalent of costume DLC. As you cannot get it without the other game.

The point still stands that many Zelda games still don't feature the Master Sword. Yet they still managed to create terrific games without it. Heck, some of the best Zelda games did not touch the master sword, like MM and LA.

The magic sword is not the master sword, for many reasons.

First is the fact that the Master Sword is always in its pedistal when not in use by Link. Why the hell would a creepy old man in a cave just carry around the master sword?

These two swords also look radically different. We know that the Master Sword has never changed its appearance in its hilt. That's just it.

The fact still is that there is absolutely no evidence to support the magic sword is the master sword. Why would it be? It looks different, has a different purpose, and it's canonically incorrect.

The oracle games... I can maybe give you. But those are the equivalent of costume DLC. As you cannot get it without the other game.

The point still stands that many Zelda games still don't feature the Master Sword. Yet they still managed to create terrific games without it. Heck, some of the best Zelda games did not touch the master sword, like MM and LA.
You make great points about the Master Sword vs. Magic Sword, but the ties between it are still pretty strong.
OoS - LoZ
Wooden Sword - Wooden Sword
Noble Sword - White Sword
Master Sword - Magical Sword

Considering it was intended as a remake, it's not too far off the rocker to guess they updated the swords to better fit the standards of modern Zelda lore. Also, the Master Sword started off sharing an almost exact color scheme of the Magical Sword; redesigns happen. Hell, the Hero's Shield is said to be the shield that the Hero of Time used, yet Link never once used a red shield during Ocarina of Time.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
You make great points about the Master Sword vs. Magic Sword, but the ties between it are still pretty strong.
OoS - LoZ
Wooden Sword - Wooden Sword
Noble Sword - White Sword
Master Sword - Magical Sword

Considering it was intended as a remake, it's not too far off the rocker to guess they updated the swords to better fit the standards of modern Zelda lore. Also, the Master Sword started off sharing an almost exact color scheme of the Magical Sword; redesigns happen. Hell, the Hero's Shield is said to be the shield that the Hero of Time used, yet Link never once used a red shield during Ocarina of Time.
Redesigns do happen yes. But that still doesn't make it the master sword.

The whole stipulation here, is the concept of the master sword. The sword that is the only sword that can conquer evil, where you need to gather 3 mystical artifacts to obtain it.

The magic sword still had no affect on Gameplay at all. It was a well hidden optional item, akin to Biggoron's sword or the Great Fairy's sword.

The magic sword is not the one sword to conquer evil and beat Ganon. That's the true distinction. Because every game with the master sword has some sort of story attachment to it.

There still is no way lore wise, that an old man can have it for extended amounts of time as well, unless he killed the previous link, turned pure of heart for some reason and then went to sulk in a cave.

What should or shouldn't have been remade also does not matter either. Yes, Oracle of Seasons was supposed to be made into a remake. However, through this logic, does BS Zelda, a true remake of the original LoZ, completely negate LoZ?

On a side note: I still cannot believe Nintendo managed to pull off having online on a console all the way back in SNES days.

Redesigns do happen yes. But that still doesn't make it the master sword.

The whole stipulation here, is the concept of the master sword. The sword that is the only sword that can conquer evil, where you need to gather 3 mystical artifacts to obtain it.

The magic sword still had no affect on Gameplay at all. It was a well hidden optional item, akin to Biggoron's sword or the Great Fairy's sword.

The magic sword is not the one sword to conquer evil and beat Ganon. That's the true distinction. Because every game with the master sword has some sort of story attachment to it.

There still is no way lore wise, that an old man can have it for extended amounts of time as well, unless he killed the previous link, turned pure of heart for some reason and then went to sulk in a cave.

What should or shouldn't have been remade also does not matter either. Yes, Oracle of Seasons was supposed to be made into a remake. However, through this logic, does BS Zelda, a true remake of the original LoZ, completely negate LoZ?

On a side note: I still cannot believe Nintendo managed to pull off having online on a console all the way back in SNES days.
But BS Zelda is non canon. Also, who's to say that the Magical Sword isn't the forged Master Sword that appeared in The Oracles? It's like the Falchion in Fire Emblem Gaiden. It's not the sword of legend, mind you, but it's definitely a Falchion.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
If this game is going to be taking a different direction, I don't see why we "need" the Master Sword. Link has some sort of magical bow/arrow combo, and he's fighting mechanized enemies. It's possible we're going to be seeing something completely different in terms of weapons.

I think it would be cool (and kind of going with the open-world, appealing to western audience bit) to be able to wield different weapon types. What if the skull hammer becomes a class of weapon? What if you can dual wield swords? What if you can do bow/crossbows? Maybe an axe? Who knows.

To me it depends on what they intend to do with the story. The Master Sword seems to be reserved (for lack of better words) for stories involving Ganondorf. Games that do not involve Ganondorf (and even some that do) somehow seem to be perfectly okay with using other weapons.

For those stories that do not involve Ganondorf, we've seen a variety of nifty weapons, some that look a bit like the master sword and some that don't. Personally, I loved the unique design on the Locomo sword, especially with all the etching on the blade. That sword alone makes me hope they eventually clean up the textures for a high-res version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom