• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Link have a more fleshed out past?

Should Link have a back story?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I don't care.

• Total voters

Austin

Austin
I'm pretty much going to echo what Ver-go-a-go-go and arkvoodle said. I honestly don't care whether or not Link has an extensive backstory as the story in any Zelda game has never really impressed me and I've never found it an essential component in any game's excellence. I actually feel that in most cases a heavy story (Twilight Princess, for example) can bring a game down as it inhibits non-linearity along with, well, having a chance of being downright boring at times. That's not a common occurrence within the Zelda universe but I have found myself wishing at times that everyone would stop talking so I could start playing again. I suppose that's mostly a problem in the Zelda series because the plots rarely have much to distinguish themselves from the rest of the series. They all seem to be a variation on "Collect a bunch of random colorful objects in order to stop this guy from breaking things."

However, as most games allow you to skip cutscenes (and I'd be surprised if future Zelda games denied us this option), it isn't that much of a problem for me. The only issue I have is that I like to have some minimal idea of what's going on. I just don't want it to be conveyed in the form of a slow cutscene with failing metaphors.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
Having a backround in general would be good, but it would be even better if the backround of Link had several stories and branched off into a ton of stuff in the game. That way once you beat two or three dungeons, a portion of Link's past would make more sense, and more of it would come together. It would then just keep going on and on like that until you beat the game and Link's past makes perfect sense.

Abbs

Miyamoto stated that Link is, well, a link to the player. He's meant to serve as a connection between the gamer and the game, and that's it. A more fleshed out backstory than we already have doesn't make much sense. Link, in some weird kind of twisted way, is you the player. At least from the wacky perspective I see it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom