• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Reviewing the Zelda games: Ocarina of Time

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Before I review the games; however, I'd like to establish the criteria that I'll be using for them. I'll do this so I can hopefully better understand the way I feel about each one I have beaten. After I evaluate each area, I'll give it a "Go" or "No-Go" at the station.

Environment: This is the setting I was in for the majority of playthrough, although it has nothing to do with the actual game, it still affects how I feel about the game, so I think this will be important. If nostalgia is to affect one area, it'd be this one.

Setting: This is where the game takes place, does the game do well in optimizing the environment it's set in?

Controls: Pretty straight forward, how does the game handle? Topics like movement, combat, and item use will fall under this area.

Difficulty: This isn't where I say, "I can't beat it, so it sucks," but it's where I try to determine if the difficulty was increasing throughout the game, not just packed on all at once.

Story: Does the plot draw me in and keep me interested? Topics like protagonists and antagonists will fall under here as well.

Puzzles: Each installment seems to have a different puzzle style and emphasis on them. Since that is the case, this will be difficult to evaluate.

Graphics: Don't lie like you don't care, because you would care if the game wasn't pleasing to the eye. That's all this area is, did I like the way the game looked?

Music: Is the music to my liking? How many good tracks does it have? Is that enough to satisfy me?

Ok, now that we have that out of the way, let's get to it. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Environment: This will be tougher to determine than last time. The reason being that I've played this game in so many places on different platforms, that it could be tough to see how it affected me. Now that I think of it, there was always one thing that I remember when I think of my experience play OoT. I would always be alone, and very close to the television, and for some reason, it would always be nighttime. An atmosphere perfect for really being immersed in the game. It felt good to hold the controller in my hand, and play with no distractions. This is a GO for me.

Setting: Ocarina of Time is set in Hyrule (duh), with Lon Lon Ranch in the center, and various locations outlining the map. These locations have a lot of meat to them during the childhood phase; however, most of the game is played in Links adult form. During this adult era, the land seems pretty empty. Granted, that's probably what the designers were going for, but I'd rather just have it the way is was before. OoT gets a NO-GO at this station.

Controls: Ocarina of Time thrives in this category. I can't bring myself to speak bad about anything for this aspect. Movement is easy, at a nice, steady pace. The Z-target system works like a charm. The combat system is fluid, also. Targeting each enemy, being able to side-step and backflip away from danger, then attack with a jump slash or item feels so natural. This area is a big-ol' GO.

Difficulty:
This are could be tricky, because everyone knows the infamous Water Temple as a merciless pain in the ass. Well, that really wasn't my experience, but it's understandable. On the other hand, the game seems to sort of hold your hand all the way up till Death Mountain, which is a good 2 hours on the first playthrough, maybe more. It does a good job of teaching you the way the game plays before reaching the adult phase. Each dungeon takes more and more thought and skill to traverse and complete, and puts your skill to the test with the boss. This station gets a GO.

Story:
The story starts out with Link getting his fairy, Navi. And visiting the Great Deku Tree, who then informs Link that the kingdom is going to be screwed....hard. So, Link, being 12, sets out to save Hyrule. Later on, he comes across a magical sword that seals him in another dimension when he pulls it from its pedestal, the Pedestal...of Time. He gets there by opening the Door....of Time, by playing the Song....of Time, with his Ocarina...of Time, inside the Temple...of Time. Anyway, things go to hell, just like predicted and Link (now an adult) has to make everything right. Honestly, it's kinda bland. What is pretty cool, however, is that people you meet during your childhood end up having a big role to play in the story, I won't dive too deep, so yeah, that's it. Despite the appearance of those characters and Zelda's role in it all, it doesn't justify the rest. Imma have to give this a NO-GO.

Puzzles:
The puzzles in OoT offer great challenge and, in turn, great satisfaction upon completion. Most are timed or "PUSH THE BLOCK!" but there are some really good ones, like the enemy in the Spirit Temple that mirrors your movement.....or the entire Water Temple. This station gets a GO.

Graphics: In regards to the original and GCN port, I can still pop them puppies in and not reel back in horror, so that's good enough in my book. With the 3DS, the graphics are very impressive, especially with 3D. Now, I'm not going to say I played the game with 3D on the whole time, but it still looks really good. This area is a big GO.

Music: GO. It's not even a question. Best music in the series. Maybe best music in any series.

Honestly, I'm surprised that this game got any NoGos at all. I hold this in such a high regard, but it's kinda fun doing this.

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
I agree with Spiritual Mask Salesman, but I would have to ask is this a review of OoT for N64, or 3DS. Especially in the graphics department of this review that makes a big difference. So I feel that there should be some distinguishing factor to account for this because for me the N64 graphics are ehhhh... Well not great. They're decent enough for me to say I could live with them but the 3DS takes them and polishes them up to look slightly above par.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
environment - go
i first played the game back in middle school on the wii virtual console,and unlike the situation during link to the past,this one i would say was a bit more chill; i remember when i first heard the notcurne of shadow,the greatest zelda tune to ever bless my ears
playing the 3ds version was....a'ight

setting - no-go
i like the look of some areas on the 3d version,but the overworld just being a donut kinda destroys it all for me

difficulty - go
i think this was one of the first games to really give me a challenge,or at east a challenge that came from the games difficult and not out of my own stupidity [twilight princess ;-;]
side note: i never found the water temple to be as difficult as a lot of drama queens make it out to be,i mean sure i was stumped a few times i managed the dungeon just fine

story - no-go
compared to the stories of its successors,this one is just too bland and basic

puzzles - i don't care

graphic -HAHHAHAHA no (64 version)
ok i have a bit of history w/ this,i'll just say the graphics i was expecting ocarina of time to have is a different story to how i feel the graphics
actually are for an n64 game
however my feelings for the former are too strong that i just can't judge the game fairly
at the very least,the 3d version is a go

music - go
i mean,i suppose there's no bad tracks [though i kinda dislike kokiri forest now],but the hyrule field theme covers more areas than i would like it to do so
but whatever,there's no real reason why i would give this a no go [unlike link to the past]

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
oh i forgot controls
im kinda hesitant to give this a go b/c i played the gamecube zeldas first,and those two controlled much better than oot [understandably]
so i don't know,im in the middle

Hylian.Smitty

Defender of SS
He has a point, compared to other titles in the series OoT has a lackluster plot. Nintendo focuses on game play over plot as they have explained, and I'm perfectly ok with that. But games like TP, WW, and SS have more engaging plots than OoT's simple "rescue sages and kill Ganondorf."

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
Environment: Go
Considering that OoT is the first Zelda game I had ever played, the sheer amount of nostalgia I have towards the game is huge.

Setting: Go
The layout of Hyrule, for the most part, is pretty solid. Everything branches off of the hub that is Hyrule field, and there are even 3 little shortcuts that connect a few areas in the game. I haven't even mentioned all the secret grottos you can find scattered throughout the overworld. The only minor problems are that the adult Hyrule Field feels empty, and one of the shortcuts becomes inaccessible as an adult.

Controls: Go
Considering that the control scheme of Z-targetting has been used in not only future Zelda titles, but also non-Zelda titles, that tells you something. The combat system is fluid and natural; everything works as you expect it to. That's also true out of combat.

Difficulty: Go
The game's difficulty is well-balanced. The first two dungeons are quite easy, with fairly pathetic boss battles and mostly straightforward puzzles, but the difficulty ramps up after that. Throughout the middle to end of the game, there are multiple enemies and bosses that deal at least a heart of damage per hit (up to 4 hearts) that keep you on your toes, and of course the infamous Water Temple. In fact, I still die now and then to specific bosses.

Story: No-Go
One of the flaws of OoT is a simplistic story. The story in a nutshell is: get 3 stones, rescue 5 sages, defeat Ganondorf. There are a couple twists, but you can easily see them coming.

Puzzles: Go
The puzzles are quite varied, with standard torch-lighting and block-pushing puzzles, some timed puzzles, and some completely off-the-wall puzzles. I was quite engaged by some of the puzzles later on in the game, and let's not forget that the Water Temple is a puzzle in itself!

Graphics: Go
With regards to the N64 version and its ports, at the time the game was released the graphics were well done. Good use of colour and particle effects in particular (fire, water splashes, pollen stuff in the forest). By today's standards of course, they're blocky and blurry. With the more recent 3DS remake, the graphics look really good! Everything just looks polished and more detailed.

Music: Go
OoT's music is truly spectacular. Very well composed, big-sounding, catchy, and memorable, it has stood the test of time without a doubt.

I'm not sure if I can post my thoughts since I've only played the 3DS version and missed out on that whole era of gaming but I'll try anyways.

Environment-I was underwhelmed. No Go

Setting-It feels empty and constrained, not many people to talk to, not many places to travel, boring. No Go

Controls-Superb! Go.

Difficulty-With the exception of the infamous Water Temple (I was determined to do it all by myself with no walkthroughs) Shadow and Spirit Temples,(I love these dungeons) it was pretty easy. No Go

Story-It's a Zelda game people. Most of them don't have a compelling story. However it did have humorous narrative. Neutral

Puzzles-Nice! Go

Graphics-Color me impressed! Go.

Music-Again up to personal tastes, some are the greatest in the franchise, (Song of Storms, Saria's Song, Gerudo Valley) some sound like a drunk toddler banging away on a synthesizer and worse, they get stuck in my head (Great Deku Tree, Forest Temple, Jabu-Jabu's Belly) Half and Half

Overall this is an excellent game, it's not my favorite but I really do like it.

Last edited:

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I personally love a good story and I wish Zelda focused more on the story as well as the interaction. Most characters in Zelda games not called Majora's Mask and to an extent Skyward Sword are quite bland.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
I would like to throw this out there, but it isn't intended as an accusation for anyone in this thread.

I believe The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is one of the greatest video games ever made (for its time), but is highly overrated. Anything that gets popularized might eventually become overrated. Problem is when people make the leap from overrated to "bad"... :/

Environment: Go, They were pretty varied and looked good at the time.

Setting: Go, this was pretty good too.

Controls: Go. Z targeting with Navi made this game great.

Difficulty: Go. An easy game but that's intentional to make the game fun,

Story: Go. The story works and makes sense.

Puzzles: Go. The puzzles in the dungeons are well thought out.

Graphics: Go. But they aged very badly.

Music: No go. The music totally ripped off Zelda 3 SNES. Very unoriginal.

A good game but totally not the best game ever. Not even close.

Skunk

Floof

My first attempt at completing Ocarina were on an emulator after having stayed up late talking to Cleverbot about BEN and how he drowned and all that business. The laptop I was using wasn't exactly the best to play on, and changing how keys were mapped was beyond my level of skill. Eventually, I did get the game legitimately on the 3DS. I can say that I have very fond memories of staying up late to try and beat stuffs.

Setting: Go... but not by much

Oh Ocarina... All of its little areas are simply lovely, except that they lack any real connecting factors. The closest there really is to a hub is Hyrule Field, which is fairly empty aside from a few holes in the ground and Lon Lon Ranch. One of my favorite moments in Ocarina of Time was riding Epona out of Lon Lon Ranch because it made the world feel more connected, at least to me, than it had felt previously. If Nintendo could have found some way to add that connectivity to the world, OoT would have benefited a lot. Seeing that the game was originally going to be similar to Mario 64 with Ganondorf's Castle being the hub instead of Peach's, I understand why things aren't quite as cohesive as they could be. Yes, the game was made in the late 90's, but it would have been so much better if events happening in one area impacted those in another, especially in the Adult portion of the game. For example, the freezing climate of Zora's Domain could bleed over into Kokiri Forest, adding bits of snow and making some of the trees go dormant. This could also go to Kakariko, with the rooftops having snow on them and things of that sort. Maybe have some characters stay inside until after the Water Temple is beaten, saying things feel a little warmer. And on the Water Temple, It should either have been nearer to Zora's Domain or Zora's Domain should have been nearer to it. There is the magical shortcut thing, but that doesn't change the fact that both are on opposite sides of Hyrule. And a thriving lake next to a desert? Umm...

Anyway, the individual environments themselves are quite nice. Kokiri Forest feels very much like going through a forest in the afternoon, right at the end of spring when all the little bugs and pollen skit around on the wind in the waning sunlight. Death Mountain feels like a great home carved out for the Gorons, or by them, as it is. Castle Town is the only area that's weaker than the rest, simply because it isn't especially different from other fantasy towns. Gerudo Valley is lovely, though it does bother me that no one else lives there besides the Gerudo Thieves. That really isn't too big of a problem, though, as exploring the valley is near the end of the game and the climax draws you more through to completion, which might have made having other characters in the Valley less noticeable. It still would have been nice to have them.

Controls: Go

Everything works fine, Z/L-Targeting is really handy. Ultimately, no complaints here. Everything works nicely for what it needs to work for.

Difficulty: Go

Since there is no section for overall gameplay, I'll lump that in here. OoT is a fairly easy game with relatively few major difficult spots. Combat is hardly ever a challenge unless you lack patience, as much of the fighting in OoT is centered around waiting for an enemy to reveal their weakness of stop attacking so that you can land a hit. You're never made to wait long, though this game is different from others in the series wherein a strategy of unleashing an all-out offensive because using such a strategy will often times get your ass served to you. Patience, even the small amount much of the game requires, is key to making the game easier.

Much of the game consists of running between points of interest in your quest to find the McGuffins and save the day; that isn't especially bad or different from other titles in the series. The only difference between OoT and other games is the world itself. Walking or riding through Hyrule generally isn't very interesting. Besides the occasionally enemy, there is little to really see or do in the world. Towns may contain quests for mask deliveries, bottles, minigames, or the trading sequence, though they usually never have much to see besides those few things. Hell, it's only necessary to visit Castle Town three times in the entire game if you're willing to avoid doing some optional quests, even though Castle Town is supposed to be the center of Hylian wealth and commerce. One would think a city such as that would be more interesting and important.

The true sparkle for Ocarina's gameplay lies in its dungeons. Dungeons generally don't present you with large, open rooms, but instead smaller connected rooms that each have a purpose towards contributing the dungeon on a whole. Each room in a dungeon feels like it belongs in that dungeon, and that the whole of the dungeon flows with each room's presence. If only the environment outside the dungeons took this cue. The dungeons aren't terribly difficult, of course besides the Water Temple(though I, being a cheeky boy I am, used a walkthrough the whole way through my first time playing it).

Story: Go

Ocarina of Time's story is simple enough to get its point across and establish some good ground for other points in the series and lore to branch out from. If there is room for improvement, however, it would be in making each locale more valuable to the next. Hyrule is small, and thus it would make sense for most of the little civilizations to work with each other, especially in the trying times of the Adult segment. Alas, this didn't happen, but the game still works well enough without it.

Puzzles: Go

I just can't seem to get into this game's puzzles, though I don't necessarily think they're bad. They're functional, and nicely made, but I think Majora's Mask did Ocarina of Time's puzzles better than Ocarina of Time. More puzzles solved related to the dungeon on a whole in MM, yet retained their ability to stay confined to the room they're in. Puzzles fit in their dungeons in OoT, but generally don't feel like they affect them much.

Graphics: Go

Considering have only played its original form on a ROM that left out some textures, I think the original graphics for the game are, to quote brentalfloss, gross and flat. The 3DS version is pretty, though, so that's why I'd give this section a "Go".

Music: Go

The music is great, and I wouldn't expect less from Koji Kondo.

Though I didn't give any "No Go"'s, that doesn't mean I think the game is perfect. It does what it does well, and serves the role it was made for without much difficulty. The game, aside from its original graphics, hasn't aged very badly. It could have been better, but OoT is not a bad game by any means.

Last edited by a moderator:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion

My first attempt at completing Ocarina were on an emulator after having stayed up late talking to Cleverbot about BEN and how he drowned and all that business. The laptop I was using wasn't exactly the best to play on, and changing how keys were mapped was beyond my level of skill. Eventually, I did get the game legitimately on the 3DS. I can say that I have very fond memories of staying up late to try and beat stuffs.

i like how besides me,you're the only person to answer environments correctly

EDIT: oh wait wizzrobe answered it right
...point still stands

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom