• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Resident Evil to Return to Its Survival Horror Roots

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
The survival horror genre is and has been around, it's just been dumbed down. Also, don't get excited just yet. Until there is any valid proof that Capcom is going to start getting their **** together with Resident Evil, then we can say that it's good to see more survival horror in the industry.

What's the point of this thread anyway?

I feel really sorry for the RE series, in the beginning it was a video game inspired by the B-movies of Romero and didn't take itself too seriously, and it has gone on to become what it is today and all the power to it for that. If we ignore the 'survival horror' point for just a second then to me the RE series hasn't fallen that far from what it was originally, in the beginning it was just a video game version of a B-movie and even in games as recent as 4 and REvelations the humour and the not-so-serious overtones are still there and i think that is wonderful.

On the survival horror side of it, maybe RE has moved into what is now dubbed the 'dramatic horror' genre but in a world where franchise installments are released almost on an annual basis like AC and CoD with very little change between them, is RE, one of the only franchises showing evolution a bad thing? There are other games out there like Silent Hill still doing the horror thing and being darker than RE and that is fine with me, RE is a franchise that can change (much like Metroid) and retain what it still is, and just like Zelda, can go back to whatever it wants when it wants, RE6 was something that perhaps tried to be too big and too much like the action movies that capcom seem to be so fond of (if we look at the live action AND cgi RE movies) REvelations went back to the horror and didnt damage the series pacing any at all who is to say RE7 can't and with a supposed reboot happening then it may be all the more likely that it will return to slow paced horror but RE can evolve and after a few more installments of doing what theyre doing who is to say that it wont change again into something new and fresh like RE4 was?

I think fans and critics should stop hounding a series that is trying to evolve and bring new experiences (this coming from a Zelda fan so im aware of the irony)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom