• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art [PS & GIMP] Signature Tutorial

Kybyrian

Alright, guys. All of you, surely, know about LozzyKate's recent signature tutorial. It was very successful, so I thought I'd try to get our other users more interested in graphics that use Photoshop! Hers was made in GIMP and the directions for GIMP, so this one will include both programs, since I'm lucky enough to have Photoshop CS5.

Before we begin... I cannot stress this enough. Photoshop is superior to GIMP in many ways. GIMP lacks many features and options that Photoshop does. Before you begin, I suggest that you get Photoshop. If, which I believe many of you will have a problem with, you cannot pay for Photoshop, then there is a trial available which I'm sure you can find by googling or going to the adobe website and searching. If you are a dedicated GIMP user, then, however much I may disagree with your ways, will not attempt to force you to use Photoshop. The Photoshop version turns out much better...

As for GIMP, you can find that in a simple Google search as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm here to help you get involved in the creation of graphics, so ask me whatever you wish.

Click on the image for the corresponding program to view its tutorial.

[size=+5]PHOTOSHOP[/size]

NOTE: When resizing your render, hold the SHIFT button. This will preserve the quality of the image when scaling so it doesn't look bad.

[size=+5]GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP)[/size]

NOTE: When scaling in GIMP, don't use the scale tool. Go instead to Scale > Scale Layer. This is to be used when scaling your render. It may take some trial and error but you will eventually get your render the right size with a good quality. I used the scale tool and mine got all blurry, as you can see by Photoshop to GIMP comparison.

NOTE: If for some reason when moving your layers below or above other layers in the layers dock that dragging and dropping doesn't work, then use the small green arrows that should say "move up in the layers stack" or "move down in the layers stack".

NOTE: Here is a youtube video to help you guys with the clipping mask part. Hopefully it will help some of you having trouble with this particular part of the tutorial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfhSbyijtlc

Enjoy and happy days.

Last edited:

David

But you called me here...
Well, I gave it a shot and came up with this.

AttemptatTutorial.png

I have Photoshop Elements, so I had to do some work arounds to figure out how to do what you did, but I love the tutorial!

Kybyrian

Well, I gave it a shot and came up with this.

AttemptatTutorial.png

I have Photoshop Elements, so I had to do some work arounds to figure out how to do what you did, but I love the tutorial!

It looks really good, nice job. :yes:

Hope to see more people trying it out.

SignatuerResuestzelda567.png

My result that I used for a request, For the life of Me I could not get the Clipping Mask thing to work with GIMP. No matter what I tried, nothing worked. I probably pressed Ctrl-Z 341 times.

Kybyrian

SignatuerResuestzelda567.png

My result that I used for a request, For the life of Me I could not get the Clipping Mask thing to work with GIMP. No matter what I tried, nothing worked. I probably pressed Ctrl-Z 341 times.

It's complicated and I'm aware of that, which is why I just recorded it! I'll be uploading it to youtube and hopefully that will help a lot of people out. It's quite confusing in text form...

The video has just uploaded!

Last edited:

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Okay, this looks great and I am a total newb to Photoshop so I will post my result when I am done. :D

G

Generations

Well, I'll give it a shot, but I'm pretty new to photoshop. I hope it turns out well!

[EDIT]

Here's my result!
gNTz1.png

Kybyrian

Well, I'll give it a shot, but I'm pretty new to photoshop. I hope it turns out well!

[EDIT]

Here's my result!
gNTz1.png

It looks pretty good. :) The line below Generations isn't how I had it in the tutorial, though. I selected the lasso tool and made a loose circle around it so the selection on the top and bottom of it was far off but it cut off the left and right sides with the selection. Then Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal Selection. It should fade the line out a bit on the left and right sides. You have to make sure that the line is on a separate layer from everything else, which it should be by default, and that layer is selected when you do the layer mask.

David

But you called me here...
It looks pretty good. :) The line below Generations isn't how I had it in the tutorial, though. I selected the lasso tool and made a loose circle around it so the selection on the top and bottom of it was far off but it cut off the left and right sides with the selection. Then Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal Selection. It should fade the line out a bit on the left and right sides. You have to make sure that the line is on a separate layer from everything else, which it should be by default, and that layer is selected when you do the layer mask.

I'm Generations older brother. I tried to find that layer mask in Photoshop Elements, but I could not. I might do some research to find it, but seeing as how we have Elements, it may not have the Layer Mask Reveal Selection. I know that it doesn't have a Clipping Mask option, but there's a workaround to get it to work.

Wow its been a while since someone has posted here.

I am a noob at photoshop so 2 questions...
How do you get the render larger than the backround
How do you insert text(i used paint)
Here is my terrible signature test

View attachment 16665

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom