• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Posting On Old Threads

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
I know that if a thread gets too old then if you post something on the tread, the tread gets locked. What I want to know is how old dose a thread have to be be for it should not be posted on any more?

Also, are we allowed to start a new thread with basically the same question, as an older thread?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Threads about 2 or 3 months old are where necromancy typically qualifies... However, I've also been told that it depends on the quality of the post that brings the old topic "back to life". This means that if it's the reply is really well done, then in some cases the necromancy will be acceptable. I would need a mod to bring me up to date on that, though.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
However, I've also been told that it depends on the quality of the post that brings the old topic "back to life". This means that if it's the reply is really well done, then in some cases the necromancy will be acceptable. I

This is true, to an extent. If there is still discussion to be had on the topic -- and there is no RECENT similar thread -- then a particularly well done, informative, relevant reply SHOULD be allowed as I recall with discussion with two mods not a month ago.

I remember the moderators being more stringent about necromancy in the past but when I mentioned the subject in the Shoutbox a few days ago, Wyatt mentioned the forum has no necromancy policy.

If a post revives an old thread but contributes to the discussion it's alright but generally making a new thread is advised.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
There are differenses between "old threads". If there are threads like "what's your fav Zelda game" you are allowed to reply to it because the title is timeless and can always be answered even years later. But if there is a discussion going on about something and didn't have many replies for many months or even years you should add something good to the discussion to make it worth to be opened again. In this case it's for the best to open a new topic.

Kybyrian

We do have no current necromancy policy. We allow users to post in and recreate old threads if they have something to contribute to the discussion. I rather encourage the recreation of very old threads to keep threads fresh and discussion anew. However, we do not enforce this one way or another.

Yeah... I've noticed that most people, including many mods, oftentimes get a bit irritated when threads from 2009/10 - with topics that are no longer relevant - get revived. I tend to agree, as who'd want to talk about the some random goal scored in a soccer game nearly 4 years ago? (Just an example.) As mentioned before, this is not that big a deal, but it is not recommended. I think that Vanessa said it best: if the thread title is timeless and still relevant, then it is okay to revive it. However, it is preferable that one starts a new thread to really, really old topics. ;J

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom