• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OoT or TP?

I

Ice9ine

Hello,

In support of my recent thread about dicovering the Zelda games, I now find myself in a slight dilemma.

I bought myself a wii yesterdy in preparation for SS. I am not far into OoT (only just heading up Death Mountain) and I am playing that on a pc emulator because I started a few days ago before I got my wii.

I am loving Oot but have seen the reviews on TP and want to give my new wii run.

Should I finish OoT first? Stop Oot and start playing TP on wii now?

I know this is ultimatley up to me, but I am not a Zelda expert like you guys are and I value your input. I just want the best Zelda experince leading up to SS.

Part of me is saying to put Oot on hold for now and dig my claws into TP and aim to have it completed by SS.

Another concern is that I start one and don't get it finished by SS which would be not a good situation. How long are Zelda games anyway? 20 hours? 50 hours? 100 hours?

Thanks all, I look forward to your advice.

What to do...what to do??

MW7

Length of the game really depends game to game, but I'd say the average gamer would complete OOT faster than TP. TP took me about 45 hours my first playthrough (100% though so rushing through the game would have been about half that). It was a while ago but I'd guess OOT took me 35-40 hours my first time (also 100%). Both games are among the most epic in scope of the entire series so neither would be a bad choice. Most people and I personally would say OOT is the better game, but really they are such similar games that you can't go wrong.

Unless you have tons of time, you definitely couldn't beat both games but probably could finish either one by Skyward Sword's release. One other thing to consider is that playing TP could orient you to the controls of SS more so (although keep in mind that there will be a huge difference still) than continuing to play OOT. This could be a pro/con depending on whether you want to be used to the controls a little for SS or if you want the experience to be completely new.

Personally I would continue with OOT mainly because you already started it, and I usually have trouble coming back to finish games when I stop playing to start a different game. But that's just me and you seem to be leaning towards TP so maybe that would be the ideal choice for you. Good luck and welcome to the series.

EDIT: I read your other thread so I know you have a wife, kid, and career. From tonight at midnight until the release of SS in America is 11 days or 264 hours. You have to work so 8 hours a day and there are 8 more weekdays until SS comes out gives you 64 hours of work. Guessing that you sleep 7 hours a night for the ten nights (if you get it at midnight) until SS gives you 70 more hours. Assuming you spend an hour eating every day and an hour commuting every weekday takes away 11 and 8 more respectively. That leaves you with 111 hours (264-64-70-11-8). My estimate is that beating both games would take at least 60 hours. So you would literally have to spend over half of the time that you absolutely don't have to be doing something else playing games. Knowing other people with kids, I would guess this would be impossible for most people but I believe in you.

Last edited:

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
Which game takes longer to beat really depends, TP is longer but OoT is a bit more challenging, so it might take longer to beat if you're not very experienced. Overall, though, I would go with trying to finish OoT simply because it's the better game, at least I think it is.

S

SS,OoT,WW,TP

I don't think it matters what order you complete the games in as long as you play both, you will be fine. As for time in zelda games its usually about 40 hours of gameplay.

geek4887

The Unknown
What I would do is stop playing Ocarina of Time and get my hands on Twilight Princess. But, it doesn't really matter. What most people would do is to probably do a speed run on Ocarina of Time, but that would be a grievous mistake as to you can't really enjoy Ocarina of Time if you don't absorb everything from the game. That game is just purely epic. Twilight Princess on the other hand would be my Ocarina of Time 2.0. Some people would strongly disagree to that statement, because they don't see Twilight Princess to be up to standard to Ocarina of Time (which is true, actually). But, you have about a few weeks until Skyward Sword comes out. You should be able to finish Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess as long as you don't try to 100% the games, because that might take some time.

Since you were wondering, I think that Twilight Princess is 30-5(6)0 hours of gameplay, while Ocarina of Time may be 10-30 hours of gameplay. But that's my estimates and not an official person's, so it might be quite inaccurate. Hope this post was helpful, and happy gaming! ;)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Finish OoT first, then go onto TP. You should see the Zelda series in a completely different light if you do it that way; I know what OoT has done to me lol

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Play Ocarina of Time first, then Twilight Princess. I'd love to hear your thoughts after you've completed them both. 8)

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!
If its in preparation for Skyward Sword, I recommend you play Ocarina of Time, since SS is looking to be the very start, and it would be good to have some insight into the near future and know what the heck the people are talking about. Plus I think its awesomer.

I would but oot but ethery way stick to it. I think you will realy enjoy it. You have time to probably 100% if you use a guide but I say don't. Jaust enjoy all the nifty things the devlopres gave you in this game. You will feel well rewarded.

OoT is shorter. This is better to some. TP has more open space than OoT and takes longer to finish. It depends on whether or not you want to play a game that is very long.

I

Ice9ine

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I started TP last night and I am 100% totally addicted. Honestly, Skyrim could be playing second fiddle to this over the next few weeks!

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom